Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 20:07
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 140/140/115
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Sugar Free Bacon in NZ

Hi
I read in a past site that you can get sugar free bacon in Auckland. Unfortunately I cannot remember the brand name. They do the normal type of bacon (with sugar) but also do it without.
If anyone knows what the brand is and have found it elsewhere in NZ, please let me know?
thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-02, 05:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187.4/173.8/140
BF:
Progress: 29%

I know your query is amonth old but i just caught up. There is some wonderful new bacon in the stores that is called "Bacon the Way it Used to Taste" No water, no sugar and it crisps up really well. I think it is Huttons but will have to wait untuil i go the supermarket again and I will let you know.
This is available in Dunedin New World so you might have to ask your supermarket about it. Eebee
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 15:58
Registered Member

Stats: 254/250/150 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 4%

Hi,

I found some bacon in a store called Janssens in the Pakuranga plaza in Auckland.
It wasn't advertised as sugar-free, but didn't have any sugar (even disguised) or honey listed on the ingredients.

They also have sausages containing no cereal or wheat.

Nesaea
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 19:15
Registered Member

BF:
Default bacon

I am based in Wgtn, but I have seen very recently (and to my wonderment) that Hendersons is now advertising 'Bacon the way it use to be', therefore I think it may be sugar free and possibly nitrate free.
They say it is sold in most supermarkets.
So check it out!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 20:10

Stats: 245/236/140 Female 169cm
BF:
Progress: 9%

found this following bit on www.allergy.org.nz. sisnt say about sugar free but if they have organic stuff prob have no nitrate bacon
"Ross's Supermeat Store, Mt Eden Village, Mt Eden, Auckland
They are fantastic, very friendly, no additives in their bacon, sausages or ham and make their sausages using rice flour. They actually have organic, preservative free, additive free cheerios!!'
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-03, 00:51

BF:

Yes I posted abou this last year. It is says it contains 'natural sweetner' so it might be sweetened with honey. It is nitrate free and also water free so it tastes better and crisps up very well. I recommend it though I have no idea how many carbs it contains. They are not giving the nutrition information, which is now required by law. Perhaps these will appear soon.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 02:20
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 194/156/140
BF:I hate to think
Progress: 70%

Just on the bacon question, does anyone know of bacon/pork etc which also has been humanely farmed. I've stopped eating pig meats out of disgust with the way pigs are farmed. Any clues bacon experts?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 23:45

BF:

That would be good to know. I would also like to eat 'kind' bacon. I am sure we could find out and we could also let the pig farmers know that this would be a good marketing strategy.

I found out what the Bacon the Way it Used to be' carb count is and its good news-only 0.6 per 100g

I will do some investigating on the humane farming front.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 00:04

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/196/160
BF:
Progress: 45%

I dont know about kind bacon, although a lot of animals raised for human consumption are farmed cruelly - feedlot calves, chickens with vitamins & antibiotics pumped into them

The bacon I use is Don rindless bacon - I'm not game to buy from the Deli - I like to see labels and know exactly where I'm at!! Cant remember what the carb count is but it is the lowest count out of all the prepackaged stuff with a nutrition guide on it.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 15:43

BF:
Default Bacon- wild game

Hi guys
I dont know if it is available all over NZ but at Moore Wilson's in Wellington (City centre, Lower Hutt, Tawa, Masterton) they have "Premier Game Meats". The meat is certified by MAF as safe to eat but all the little animals have had a nice life running about in the bush and hills. I started buying the meat as I thought it more humane plus I like wild pork more than "normal" pork. The meats available are Pork (diced, rolled roast, bacon), Goat (same as pork except bacon- really nice for stews or roasted), rabbit and Hare( whole or pieces), Thar and venison (same as pork plus denver and fillet). The meat starts at $5.95 per kilo. Bacon is $8.95 per kilo so packs are usually about $5-6
I am addicted to going to Moore Wilsons anyway as you can get so much stuff there cheaper than at the supermarkets- 3kg tins of chargrilled peppers for $11. I just split them with friends and family. The fish there is also very good and supplied by the trawling co next door everyday
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 17:33

BF:

Thanks for that information. I was introduced to Moore Wilson when we stayed with our daughter in Wellington at Christmas. Almost made me want to move to Wellington! It is a fantastic shop. Tremedous selection of delicious and exotic foods . In future I am taking a big shopping bag with me to carry away some of those game foods.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 23:52
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 194/156/140
BF:I hate to think
Progress: 70%

Moore Wilsons sounds great. We have a trip to Wellington coming up soon to celebrate my husband's achievement reaching his target weight. Whereabouts would Moore Wilsons be in Wellinton?
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 23:15
Registered Member

BF:
Default Moore Wilsons

Hi
Moore Wilsons is on Tory Street (it is off Courtenay Place). I think from memory you have to have a customer card to buy food there. Not sure if this has changed.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 00:30

BF:

you no longer need a customer card for moore wilsons if you pay cash or eftpos but you can apply for one very easily if you do want one and you build up points for discounts.
There is the bulk section which has always been there but there is also Moore Wilson's fresh too at Tory St shop (it has pics of food all over the outside of the building and a wedge sticking out of a big crack, also a big glass box on top-hard building to miss). This part has heaps of fresh veges, meats, fish, deli stuff and breads from all the best bakeries through out Wellington. You can get fresh coffee (not that we are sposed to drink it!!) to drink while wandering round- they make the best espresso's and latte's in Wgtn. I think the best time to go is usually sat am as they usually have trays of food like salmon and cream cheese nibbles or cheese by the coffee bar and have food tastings too. It is really busy usually but the checkout people are about 4 times faster than at the super market. Also in the bulk section across the carpark they have booze and household stuff
Can you tell I am addicted to shopping there?

Last edited by bananagirl : Fri, Jan-31-03 at 00:32.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-04, 05:41
Registered Member

Plan: atkins new diet revoluti
Stats: 292.6/250/130 Female 170
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default hi eebee

hi eebee are you in dunedin