Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Why did you choose low-carb?
To lose weight 466 58.69%
To improve my general health 81 10.20%
to avoid things like diabetes 34 4.28%
to help my diabetes 24 3.02%
all of the above 189 23.80%
Voters: 794. You may not vote on this poll

#46   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-01, 07:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 251/236/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Xenical basically blocks the absortion of fat by your body.
It works great, believe me it does. If you eat to much fat, you will know it, you will need to use the bathroom right away!

I did loose weight with it but it was not worth the trouble for me anyway. A friend of mine did loose quite a bit of weight (45 pounds) and he loved using Xenical.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-01, 11:42

Plan: Atkins(minus fiber)
Stats: 175/160/140
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default my story..

well i accidentally started reading Atkins New Diet revolution.. and i was impressed by what he said and of course shocked since i had been doing/thinking the opposite..so i said, what do i have to lose.. i'll try for a while, and it had been my first official diet.. as in a plan to follow..etc.. i wasn't worried about health reasons since i'm still young, although i didn't know what my blood cholesterol etc readings were.. my energy improved dramatically, and i was losing weight..so kept going at it
I am at my thinnest in my adult and teenage years!.. and i'm grateful to having come across the book (and this forum is super!, i've learned a great deal more).. i believe in this WOL.. i used to think it was all genetics..just the way i am.. and i had to live with it....when i started atkins i was at 175lb.. but my highest recorded weight was 194.. (i'm sure i went higher too! ~ that was about 7 yrs ago). i just feel that i am changing, evolving into the person i knew i was inside and that by itself is a wonderful feeling.
sorry if i went out of context..
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-01, 12:01
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Xenical also effectively blocks the absorption of the essential Omega fatty acids that are in those fats, as well as any fat-soluble vitamins consumed with them, including supplements. Vitamins A, D, E and K. Also blood levels of fat-soluble carotenoids from fruits, vegetables and supplements have shown to be decreased.

I'm curious to see the long-term effects on people .. years from now, if they develop chronic ill-health from fatty acid deficiencies.

Doreen
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-01, 15:57

Stats: 181/138/125
BF:
Progress: 77%

I'm posting here to try to get rid of a bug on my end. For some reason I can't see any post beyond September 11th on this thread. Hopefully this will fix it. Pardon the off topic
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-01, 21:05

Plan: IF w/ low carb (20/4)
Stats: 259/201.5/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default Why did you choose low-carb?

I went back to low carbing because a friend told me she had pain relief from carpal tunnel syndrome by following low carb. I have heel spurs and thought if it helped her, maybe it would help me. I had done low carb before, lost 50 lbs, but went back to the 'siren' of carbs and gained it back.

I joined TOPS (Take off Pounds Sensibly) (www.tops.org) a few months ago following a low fat high carb, and lost weight at the beginning but started to gain it back, no matter what I did.

So the pain in my heels has gone from a 10 on 1-10 scale with 10 the highest to a 2 or three.

Christy
  #51   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-01, 18:07
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default Re: Why did you choose low-carb?

Quote:
Originally posted by creaky
I went back to low carbing because a friend told me she had pain relief from carpal tunnel syndrome by following low carb. I have heel spurs and thought if it helped her, maybe it would help me. I had done low carb before, lost 50 lbs, but went back to the 'siren' of carbs and gained it back.

I joined TOPS (Take off Pounds Sensibly) (www.tops.org) a few months ago following a low fat high carb, and lost weight at the beginning but started to gain it back, no matter what I did.

So the pain in my heels has gone from a 10 on 1-10 scale with 10 the highest to a 2 or three.

Christy

Hi Christy,

Welcome to our forum!

Congrats on finding a solution through low-carbing.

Wa'il
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-01, 18:13
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally posted by Raven
I'm posting here to try to get rid of a bug on my end. For some reason I can't see any post beyond September 11th on this thread. Hopefully this will fix it. Pardon the off topic
hi Raven, no bug at all. The database will bump up any thread that has a POLL in it ... to show the date/time of when someone voted in the poll .... and not necessarily that someone has actually posted a reply. It's a bit confusing... but otherwise, the thread would disappear down the long list.

Doreen
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-01, 02:59

BF:

Ahhhh. Thanks Doreen for the explanation. It was driving me nuts.
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Sep-22-01, 12:19
amieK

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up

Why did you choose low carb?

Although I answered to lose weight in the poll, the real reason I chose LC is because when I follow this WOE I feel at peace with food.

I lost 55 lbs with Weight Watchers 2 yrs ago but my relationship with food had become very unhealthy. Food had become the enemy, it was something to be measured and controlled. I was still fighting tremendous cravings and had to practice constant vigilance. I was on a cycle of being vigilant, blowing it and bingeing then psyching myself up to vigilance again. Then I just got fed up and gained 16-20 lbs.

With LC I don't have cravings and I feel healthy and strong. I appreciate food as nourishing sustenance for my body. And as long as I pay attention and stick to the program, it is easier to make the choice not to abuse food when I am feeling stressed.
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Sep-22-01, 18:29

BF:

Amie, I couldn't agree with you more.

That was one totally unexpected side effect for me in this WOL. Suddenly I wasn't thinking about food all the time. I wasn't thinking about food hardly at all.

On all of those low-calorie low-fat diets I've done in the past, it was a complete obsession with food. How much, when can I have this..I'm so hungry, I'll eat an apple so I can have this or that later. Hunger can make your mind totally preoccupied with thoughts of nothing but eating. It made me completely miserable.

Now I think of food as something that I need for fuel. I am totally happy and at peace with this WOL and even if the weight comes off very very slowly, I'll still be thrilled with it. Nothing beats feeling this good.
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 05:40

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Good Attitude ladies....and so very true!
  #57   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 10:51

Plan: IF w/ low carb (20/4)
Stats: 259/201.5/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 53%

I agree 100% with the two folks above. I found the same thing with lo-carb (especially now that 7-11 carries the low carb chocolate bars, so if I get the craving feeling I can have it). When I was on the low fat and gave myself one night of splurging per week I looked forward to that night and it was so hard to get back on track.

But now I feel like I am splurging every meal. It is much easier to follow and I don't miss the carbs like I did before. And it is a great motivation to be without pain all the time.

I talked to a friend of mine who is a vegetarian and she couldn't believe that I was pain free after switching to a meat diet. To her it didn't make sense but to me it did. I think the carbs were a poison to my body and it couldn't process all I was putting into it. The more carbs I ate the more I wanted.

Christy
  #58   ^
Old Mon, May-13-02, 15:36
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 154/128/120
BF:
Progress: 76%

Hi all

I first got into Atkins when I saw it on Shop America on TV. I was so convinced that I bought it and have never looked back since. This was in Dec 2000 after I'd tried all the others e.g Rosemary Conley, Slimming World etc.

I've fallen off a few times but this is the only WOE I keep coming back to because I know it works and makes me feel so much better.
  #59   ^
Old Mon, May-13-02, 17:19
Registered Member

Plan: Under 25 carbs/day
Stats: 151/136/135
BF:
Progress: 94%

I turned to low carbing because after the birth of my first (and only so far) child, the low fat WOE that had always worked for me was not working to get those last 10 pregnancy pounds off me. I tried everything to do with low fat, high exercise, but the weight didn't budge. Since starting low carbing, I have lost 11 pounds since January 1st of this year, have 3 pounds left of baby weight and 5 pounds to my goal weight. I've never felt better and less deprived. I just love this way of eating.

Jenny, Age 33
5'5
Pre-Baby: 135
Preg High: 170
Post-Baby prior to commencing LC: 151
Currently: 140
  #60   ^
Old Wed, May-15-02, 23:54

Plan: schwarzbein
Stats: 200/172/140
BF:
Progress: 47%

I have to say that the way I feel is the best reason to LC. I satrted this because I didn't want to become a diabetic, but I stay because it is wonderful to sll\eep well and feel good. My cravings are mostly gone. i know what triggers to avoid. (pasta, bread) and I can do this for the rest of my life. I eat very well and I skip the crap that makes me feel like crap. I don't want to cheat, and run the risk of falling off this precious wagon. Good luck to all of us and thank you all for being here.