Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 12:05
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
As ever your musings are thought provoking. I hope you did not mind the light hearted comment.

LOL! Not at all rust! but you did sound worried, so I gave you a serious answer!

Karen
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 12:31

Plan: Gluten-free/Low Carb/IF
Stats: 250/220/175 Female 5'8"
BF:?
Progress: 40%

Wow,
I'm way over here on the other coast and we think about the same things…In my mind, when I think about… or see, or smell good food (yes protein too, a nice leg lamb roasting…ummmm) anyway I digress. My body (efficient little food storage system that it is) probably does squirt out some insulin. Now while that insulin is hanging around, it sets off a craving and the pre programmed response of eating…In the short run…If you don't eat, hopefully the insulin won't store any fat. But in the long run my idea is to re-program my brain…when I see or smell or whatever food that gives me that insulin response my brain gets a 1/2 piece of sugar-free gum…Hee hee can I be fooled that easily?
We'll see.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 20:57
Forum Founder

BF:

I would be wary about falling into a bad habit with SF gum. If you feed your brain sweets, it will expect sweets whenever it felt the "reaction". If you gave it a piece of celery or a chicken wing, it would probably shut up eventually because it doesn't get the reward it expects.

Karen
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 11:22
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Question Karen

I was curious. What things have you found that starts the carb longing in you? I find Dairy products and jello does that for me. I can't eat even a Carbolite chocolate without wanting to eat more and more. I can't even eat part of a dairy desert (cheesecake for example) without wanting the whole thing. You would think I was starving!
Am I right to think this addition does in fact never go away?
Is there any way to reduce the lure?
Thanks.
I feel so good on the LC but every time I go nuts with low carb choices I feel down and it throws my body into a loop.
Thanks again.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 00:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Swartzbein combo
Stats: 360/330/210 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:Unknown
Progress: 20%

I am SO grateful that there are products I can have that give me a sense of not being deprived, yet don't set off cravings. I'm not sure I could do this otherwise.

I have a history of being a compulsive overeater, used to self injure, overdose on meds, have attempted suicide several times.

I used to also take laxatives when I was younger to try and 'lose weight'.

The way I eat now is a TREMENDOUS freedom from the cycle of contant obsession with food.

Now if I eat certain things they will trigger me, but I do just great with my Da Vinci sugar free syrups on top of a Low Carb Waffle, or on top of yogurt. I just had some low carb chocolate pudding with whipped cream, the thing I am learning is not to overdo, and that I can have SOME of these things, some times.

I do very very well with zero carb jello with celery, in fact, at times when I wanted to eat MORE after a meal, by eating the jello I felt satisfied, not deprived, and that I didn't have to be deprived of anything that had a sweet taste.

Now I find the bars to be not only TERRIBLE tasting, but I don't feel good on them. Sometimes I'm tempted to get a low carb chocolate bar, but I KNOW they raise my bg levels (I'm diabetic) and that the labels lie-they have FAR more carbs then are listed.

So I think it's a matter of personally working out what WORKS for each person.

After a lifetime of suffering from yo yo dieting, feeling guilty for eating foods that I was addcited to, one of my 'drugs of choice', I'm sure not going to feel guilty for having what 'legal sweets' that work for me. And I keep an eye on the bg levels, and am presently keeping the carbs between 25-30. I learned that you can't LIVE on the sweets, but I needed to go through that phase, as well as some others. That's just how it is for me....

From Emy
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 01:18
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
I was curious. What things have you found that starts the carb longing in you?

Anything creamy and sweet. Ice cream was my "thing" in my former life!

Karen
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 17:26

Plan: Heller(CALP)
Stats: 230/222/140
BF:
Progress: 9%

My own carb addiction is extremely sensitive. If it tastes sweet, I react to it. That includes anything with aspartame or saccharin, be it gum or soft drinks or "low carb" bars. My brain can't tell the difference between real sugar and the alternatives. And to address Lessara's question as to whether the addiction ever goes away...I would have to say no. No more than a diabetic can "cure" diabetes by controlling their blood sugar levels. If the diabetic strays from their program, their glucose levels will shoot back up. If the carb addict gives in to the cravings, no matter how long you have been controlling them, the cravings can overtake you. This I know from experience, unfortunately. I always think about a phrase I heard in reference to alcoholism..."There is no such thing as just one drink for an alcoholic." I feel the same thing is true for carb addicts...me, at least.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 19:24
Forum Founder

BF:

Yes. The only "cure" for addiction is abstinence!

Karen
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-02, 12:05
Everyday Sane Psycho

Smile I'm writing this down...

From Saturday (3/9/02) no more sweets. no diet soda or cream cheese desserts. I'm doing to lick this carb addition!
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 20:33

BF:
Default Cheering for Lessara!

Good Luck in your battle against the addiction! I know how tough it is...my husband and I were cheering today because I haven't had anything sweet today or yesterday, even though they're quite allowed on CALP. It's just important to me to get it out of my head that my reward meal SHOULD have my beloved/dreaded sweets incorporated. I especially encourage you on your decision to stay away from diet drinks. It is my personal feeling that artificial sweeteners really aren't good for us at all. And to your brain, a sweet is a sweet..there's no distinction between real sugar and synthetic. Take care and be well!!!

#26   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 11:29
Everyday Sane Psycho

Cool So far so good

This is my third day and I have had few if any problems. I know its not going to be easy like this for the next few days. Since I'm big it would take a while for all the carbs to leave my body.
But I have low-carb snacks to help me during those hard times.
I found I don't mind my one cup of coffee, with a little cream, without sweetner like I thought I would. But one is definitly the limit!
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 14:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 189/160/120
BF:
Progress: 42%
Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen

P.S. I don't remember who said "the unexamined life is not worth living", but I say it to myself frequently. Great words to live by!

A Google search tells me your quote emanates from Socrates.
Just thought I'd add it. (I'm probably coming late to the dialogue, ten other people have probably already said it, sorry.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 14:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 189/160/120
BF:
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally posted by razzle
I can hardly believe I can say this now, but I'm suddenly grateful for my lifelong weight problem, because it is hating being fat (in a world where fat women are so hated) that finally led me to think about carb addiction, and getting off carbs then struggling to stay off that finally made me understand that in one sense, the addiction is just the symptom. A lifetime of self-medication with carbs is finally turning around, and I'm amazed at the self-discovery that has cime with it.

All the people on this board are so insightful! Now if I can just get someone to reply to a post! (?) I'm in need of support. A brownie calls my name like a siren's song, and my resolve to resist is frequently absent. I rationalize, say I'll start induction in earnest TOMORROW! HeLP! I started the more severe KISS form yesterday, for about 4 hours before deciding I couldn't go cold turkey on the AS's and dairy just yet, I'd start with the carbs first.
Today I succumbed to a butterfinger easter egg, (23carbs) and felt like I could recover. Now I'm eating Peanut butter, which ordinarily would be OK, but I more than spent my 20 carbs today, so, on day 2, I'm already slipping. (before I backspaced, I had typed slopping, I think that was more accurate!) How can I get the resolve to cut out the dairy and AS, I'm such a sweets junkie!!!! ??? I never imagined what an emotional eater I was!~

Someone come to my rescue!
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 16:22

BF:
Default Renee

at "slopping"!!! I do know what you're talking about! Carb addiction is a powerful entity, and I have a long history of addiction, recovery, "slopping", and now, thankfully, re-recovery. I am using a different program than yours, but our problem is the same. The CALP book, which is my bible, says that in the beginning, not to worry so much about the AS. Some people simply cannot cold turkey. It's not your fault. It's just a driving need your body speaks very loudly to. The Drs. Heller suggest that you get a grip on the other carb rich foods and get your insulin under control. This will then give you a better platform from which to launch your assault on your other "no-no" food items. I personally, cannot and do not use AS in any form, as even a piece of sugar free gum outside my "reward meal" sends me into orbit. Be patient with yourself and your resolve will grow with your knowledge. Keep reading...anything you can on LC and carb addiction. Understanding the process your body goes through every time you consume "sweet" or carb rich foods is a huge incentive to avoid those foods. Take care and be well!!

#30   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 16:42

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care

ryple, sorry you're having such a hard time! Yes, if it really is a choice between two 'evils,' go with the AS before that PB egg again.

But I've found that every time I stop something that I'm addicted to, there's a 5-6 day phase that is HARD! Danged hard. painful. I call it "white knuckling" the cravings and it's not fun. But except for taking l-glutamine, which may help, staying busy, and keeping the environment carb-free, I know of no other way to make it through the withdrawal phase than with the white knuckles!--or, as Nike so often repeats, just doing it. I wish there were an easier, happier answer to the withdrawal phase...and if you find one, let us all know!