Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 12:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 255/222/150
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Hello

I just had a few questions regarding low carb and BFL. I just did what I call a precursor to the BFL program. I did a lower carb and cardio only, and 30lbs in 12 weeks. I have alot of muscle from lifting weights and bodybuilding years ago so I don't want to lift weight till after another 12 weeks of cardio and eating right. What I'm wondering is how low do you go in your carbs while on the program? Do you find any difficulty in muscle recovery such as fatique, lactic acid build up, mucle cramps, etc? What do you get your carbs from? Complex such as potatoes or just vegies?

I tried to send a before and after picture but it wouldn't work. I went from 255 to 225, size 22 to 18. I started low carbing again today after stabilizing, on purpose, for 2 months. I take care of my father-in-law now who has had 4 strokes and my time is limited but I just have to keep on this and I LOVED the cardio for the first time in my life. I love to lift weights so I know that will come easy but I'm glad I found a cardio routine that I get such a rush out of and can't wait till I do it again! And the results - Awesome! Well, whoever has info please let me know.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 12:29
Registered Member

BF:
Default DUHHH!

I just read the supplements you are taking - sorry didn't read that before the first set of questions I posted. Please answer the others though if you could. Thanks
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 20:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/220/166
BF:36.9%/28.6%/23%
Progress: 53%
Default Thanks Brenda

Quote:
Originally posted by bwbradford

You really seem to have the mindset to undertake a challenge like this. Attitude is half the battle! Keep up the good work!

Thanks Brenda, I'm really kind of compulsive. When I start something new I'm totally into it for awhile. I do get bored easily too though so I'm extra cautious not to take on more than I will have the patience to stick with.

My main reason for not committing to the full 12 weeks though is that I was thinking it would be at least 16 weeks since the "official" challenge starts Oct 7th. At least that was the way I was understanding it.

It sounds like what you are saying is that I could just continue from where I am at when the month ends and still be part of the official challenge?

I had my husband take "before" pictures on August 31st. I was planning on taking them again before Oct 7th if did it that way. (joined then and ran until dec)

But with what you are saying, could I use them and just continue from now and go 12 weeks? I guess I really don't understand the "rules" very well yet.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 23:34
Registered Member

Stats: 135/107/107 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sorry it took so long to answer your questions, but here goes:

For Donna:

Quote:
What I'm wondering is how low do you go in your carbs while on the program? Do you find any difficulty in muscle recovery such as fatique, lactic acid build up, mucle cramps, etc? What do you get your carbs from? Complex such as potatoes or just vegies?

I went through my fitday account from the last few months. Until recently, I was eating between 20 - 50 carbs a day, (that's not counting the fiber). I feel great and don't have any problems with getting through a workout. I have lupus, so chronic fatigue goes with the territory but low-carbing has really helped with me having more energy, even after a strenuous workout. Yes, my muscles ache the next day, but I do work to failure so that's expected. I get my carbs from vegetables and berries. I do eat low-carb pasta every once in awhile, but I've totally sworn off regular pasta, potatoes and all the other junk carbs.

Since starting the challenge a few days ago, I've upped my carbs to between 75 - 100 on lifting days but want to stay under 50 on the other days. I plan to have a shake with 40 carbs as my post lifting meal to suppress cortisol. (I think I may have sabatoged my progress up to this point by not following my lifting with a carb meal. Any comments, Nat?)

For Sherry:

The challenge is for 12 weeks regardless of when you start. If you start today, take your pictures today, don't use the August pics. If you start October 7, take the pics a day or so around that date. They recommend the pics be taken with that day's newspaper in your hand to verify the date of the pics. Just remember, October 7 is the absolute LAST date to start if you want to enter for this year. EAS has been doing this for 4 - 5 years now, so there will probably be another challenge in 2003 if you miss this one. Keep in mind, you can enter more than once.

You should go to the EAS website, there'a a link to Body For Life. There's a ton of information there and you can either request an enrollment packet be mailed to you or you can download it from the site.

Cheers,
Brenda
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 09:11
Registered Member

Thanks Brenda, I actually did start on August 31. I didn't do the BFL workout that day, but I did workout, and started the very next day with the BFL aerobics thing. So those photos are within one day of starting if you don't count Saturday's workout. Didn't do a free day this week since I started on the weekend, but those photos should be ok. I didn't have a newspaper in my hand though.

I guess I should go back to the website. I've been there, just not officially signed up yet.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 13:53
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thanks for the info

I appreciate your answers - Thank you! That is pretty low 20-50 and I like the increase on lifting days. When I did cardio only, I found I needed some pasta or potatoes sometimes just to ward off the extra fatique and lactic acid. Sounds like your doing great -= I wish you all the best! I have wanted to do the program for so long but I don't have any access to weights right now and want to take off another bulk of fat before lifting again.

Keep up the good work!

Donna
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 19:49
Registered Member

Default Donna

I work out using free weights in my basement. You can buy a bar and 100 pounds of weights at Walmart for under 40 dollars. Building muscle is the easiest way to take off fat.

If I can do this program, you can. I was scared silly of even trying it. It really isn't that hard.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 10:27
Registered Member

BF:
Default Hello

I didn't realize that weights and a bar could be purchased that cheap. Iwill look into it.
I'm not scared of the program I was a bodybuilder for several years and even managed a healthclub in my early 20's. It was a healthclub for people who were serious. Not like a Bally's were everyone is worried about what they look like, make-up, clothes, etc. This was a hardcore club for bodybuilders. I loved it and have retained alot of muscle over the years. I just do toning to maintain what I have. I can't decribe to you my how my quads and arms are still so solid after these years. I'm 222 lbs and wear an XL if that explaines anything about how much muscle I have - and I'm only 5'7". I LOVE to lift but not till I get another bulk of fat off - mostly from my butt and lower abdomen area. Most women I know at 222 lbs are wearing a size 22-24 not 16-18. I just have the genetics for lifting. I think it's a blessing. My husband, who is slightly intimidated by my legs and arms, thinks it's a curse :-) He has skinny stick legs.
Well, looking forward to see how your doing as time goes on. I do wish you the best!
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 10:35

Plan: CKD Sept '02
Stats: 280/240/200
BF:
Progress: 50%

I see you are from Pittsburgh so i figure you have heard of Dick's Sporting Goods. They have some excellent packages. An olympic style bar and 300lbs of weight for around $100. Also a couple very nice benches. One has leg attachment, curl attachemend and lat attachemnt that all use free weights, the bench runs about $200 or so i think.

I was torn between getting the bench and weights or joining a gym, unfortunately my basement didnt have enough room to accomodate the bench so i joined the gym.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 19:51
Registered Member

Default Wow Donna

You sound like you are describing me. I weigh 223, am 5'6' and wearing an XL, which is rapidly shrinking to even smaller. I lifted for years too, back about 10 years ago. I think some of the muscle has been retained from then (and from being way heavier than I am now and carrying all that weight around).

I've only been lifting regularly (again) since about June, but have worn 16s and 18s, although my belly still holds a lot of fat, and sometimes they fasten other days they don't. That is the weirdest thing that I can never figure out. I've had days when I weighed way more than I do now and have comfortably worn my size sixteen jeans. Other days weighing less I can't. I guess it has to do with how much water weight is in there bulking things up.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 01:51
Registered Member

BF:
Default That's cool!!!

I'm glad for wearing a smaller size and being toned but I always joke about being 200lbs and a size 10 - I like the muscle and being toned but I would love to weigh less than my husband for once!!!!! I also love the low carb lifestyle because it brings out the muscle definition. I think one of my high points was going into Victoria Secrets and finally being able to purchase underwear - of course it wasn't the sexy stuff but it was nice to do it!

I'm so excited to know we're so much alike. Doesn't everyone always get shocked if they find out how much you really weigh? I always love the look on people's faces. My friend just got out of her size 16's and she is 160lbs and 5'9"! 60 more pounds and she would be alot bigger than a size 18!!! That's why I tell my husband he should enjoy the muscle, it could be worse! I didn't realize how much I had lost, how heavy it weighed, until I picked up a 40lb bag and realized how heavy it was, how it hurt my back, how difficult it would be to breath all day carrying that, etc! I am pretty small framed so I would really like to loose 40-50lbs. My feet hurt all the time to were I can barely walk without tennis shoes on - I have small feet and I just don't think they can take the pressure of all this weight anymore. Plus I'm in my early 30's and haven't had children yet. I don't want to get pregnant at this weight! Well It' the middle of the night and I'm starting to ramble - sorry. Well I'm excited we are so much alike - keep up the good work!
Donna
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 08:55

Plan: BFL
Stats: 190/?/135
BF:21%
Progress: 60%

So Sherry... sounds like the cheering section has really gotten you motivated? Too cool.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 08:59

Plan: BFL
Stats: 190/?/135
BF:21%
Progress: 60%

Dang! Every time I try to put an emoticon in my post, it wipes out all of the text (replaces it!)... so the rest of my last post to you didn't show up....

what I was asking was if you've decided to start the challenge now, or wait until October? I know I wont be doing it officially.... because I will NOT do pictures, especially in shorts or (OMG) a swimsuit!!! NOOOO WAY, Jose! LOL

but major kudos to those who are.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 09:57
Registered Member

Default Hi Jalilah

I probably will. I haven't made that decision yet, I want to see how the rest of the month goes first. If it goes as well as this first week has I more than likely will, but then I haven't gotten through the hard part of the month yet.

The last two weeks of this month is the hard part for me. My hormones start changing, my energy level usually drops, and my cravings for junk food increases. If I can endure all that and still keep doing what I'm doing I will definitely do the official challenge.

I've already taken the photos. I haven't developed them yet, and I'm sure they look HORRIBLE. But then I didn't expect them to look good. They are "BEFORE" photos after all.

One question I have for all of you. I bought these fat measureing calipers toward the beginning of the week. Took the various pinch tests and came up with a number. I know it is too soon to tell, but I took the same measurement this morning and last night and I'm finding the numbers are like 2% less than they were when I started. IS it really possible to lose 2% bodyfat in a week? It doesn't seem possible to me, and I know these calipers are hard to use, but COULD it really be true?