Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-02, 01:55
Registered Member

Plan: Super Mass Plan
Stats: 172/172/200
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Best Carb Up Foods.......

Please list the best foods for carb up weekends.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-02, 06:13

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default well ...

Several threads have touched on this:

Carb-up Help/General Info

My carb up this week - scroll past the first entry in this one. Later in the pages are a few people's sample carb-ups.

Carb Up?

Carb Up

Those should give you some ideas. I am gonna "sticky" this thread, since it seems to be a recurring question that isn't covered in CKD101.

Feel free to add to it ...
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-02, 06:53
Registered Member

Plan: Super Mass Plan
Stats: 172/172/200
BF:

Thanks for the info Trainerdan.
You're lookin ripped bro.
I think this basically sums up what foods should be eaten
on a carb up weekend:
"a CKD carb up is virtually ALL carbs with moderate protein
and a touch of fat."(quoted from trainerdan)

Last edited by Iron Bull : Sat, Aug-31-02 at 07:01.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 13:51

Plan: BFL
Stats: 190/?/135
BF:21%
Progress: 60%

TrainerDan:

I heard that someone (Nat maybe?) used skittles for the first high GI carbs. Do those contain anything forbidden, or can they be used?

Thanks.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 17:06

Default skittles

LOL ... I use Skittles. LOL. I think Nat uses Smarties (in Canada, they are Rockets or something like that ... LOL) or Pixie Stix.

As for "forbidden", I am sure that someone will make an arguement against Skittles ... but they are almost a 100 on the GI list, and they give me great results, so I stick with them.

Those and Chewy Sprees. LOL.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 17:13

Quote:
a CKD carb up is virtually ALL carbs with moderate protein

LOL ... EXACTLY! A carb-up (in my opinion) isn't all that hard ... I mean, it doesn't have to be a scientific study and all ...

After depletion workout - Eat/drink sugar. Make sure you take in low-fat protein sources.

Next day - Eat the typical low-fat diet that we all have tried at one time or another. Follow the USDA Food pyramid, except for the fruit. Watch fat intake. Make sure you get your protein in.

That's really all it has to be. LOL.

Why make it more complicated?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 17:17

Plan: CKD Sept '02
Stats: 280/240/200
BF:
Progress: 50%

my hardest part was trying to remember what foods were low fat, i was frantically running aound the house reading labels and trying to figure out what i should and shoudlnt eat.

I am better prepared this week.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 17:19

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%

For all you candy bingers out there who are callin' it a carb up...

http://www.candy4u.com/clascancol.html
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 18:59

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Dog
my hardest part was trying to remember what foods were low fat, i was frantically running aound the house reading labels and trying to figure out what i should and shoudlnt eat.

*lol* Big Dog, that was me in the bulk store and the grocery store last week. I had forgotten how to eat low fat! Buying all that stuff just felt sooooo wrong! Amazing how you can do a complete 180 in just over a year!

Bren..... c'mon you know you wanna.... Join the dark side!

N
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 20:01

TrainerDan: LOL.... great!!! Another Skittles fan.

So the second day is "low fat," sort of like the BFL eating plan, only no fruit, right?

Gosh.. I don't remember how to eat LF either, Nat!! Um, does that mean stuff like rice and sweet potatoes?? I can't believe it! I really DID forget how to eat LF!!!!

Oh man, and I was JUST getting used to the idea of the sugar thing, too.

Okay... that depletion workout: How do I fit that in my current w/o schedule??

Better start a new thread on that one, huh?

(((I'm a mess))) LOL
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 20:07

Exclamation

Oh shoot!!! I almost forgot!!!

Okay, stupid question warning.. I mean REAL stupid:

So I have a bag-o-Skittles, or Smarties...or both. Checking the label will give me carb counts and servings... But, just as a for-instance, how many skittles does it take to make up 556g??

I'm thinking---okay, this is CANDY, so it's HIGH HIGH HIGH in carbs. THEN I think... oh boy, I'm going to starve to death. You know, wake the next day looking like a starving child in Africa..only without the great tan. Okay, so I know I wont starve, but you know how carbs, especially high GI ones, raise your cravings and hunger.

What's your take on this???

TrainerDan, Nat.... anyone?

Thanks
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 06:04

Plan: CKD
Stats: 162/?/? Female 5'6
BF:16

Jalilah-
This is just my experience, but I find that after the first couple of hours of carb-up, I "crave" fat. I can't wait to get back to low-carb. I am hungrier while carbing up, but I definitely have learned to appreciate the appetite suppressant in fats. When I return to low-carb after the carb-up I get full really fast. I know I don't meet my calorie requirements the first day or two but I try to come close.
As for carb cravings during the week, I don't start craving them until about Thursday. By then I only have to wait one day so it's not too hard. During the depletion workout I keep telling myself "earn the carbs". Then I push harder and don't feel as guilty when it starts.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 06:54

Quote:
Originally posted by Misty
Jalilah-
This is just my experience, but I find that after the first couple of hours of carb-up, I "crave" fat. I can't wait to get back to low-carb. I am hungrier while carbing up, but I definitely have learned to appreciate the appetite suppressant in fats. When I return to low-carb after the carb-up I get full really fast. I know I don't meet my calorie requirements the first day or two but I try to come close.

I can understand that!

Quote:

As for carb cravings during the week, I don't start craving them until about Thursday. By then I only have to wait one day so it's not too hard. During the depletion workout I keep telling myself "earn the carbs". Then I push harder and don't feel as guilty when it starts.

I don't crave carbs during the week, but by Thursday I get the "hungries," where I don't get full as much. But then I missed the mark on the fat uptake. The parameters shows an increase from Monday to Friday in fat intake...but I didn't get even close yesterday, so maybe that was why I was hungry.

I'm having to make up my own depletion workout, and I fear it's going to be half-a$$ed at this point---because I'm doing BFL. I simply cannot spend an hour at the gym, or 2hrs at the gym everyday. I'd have to take in foods intraveinously to do that! LOL.

This is going to be like playing guinea pig today...

Wish me luck!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 07:04

Plan: CKD
Stats: 162/?/? Female 5'6
BF:16

You should be fine doing BFL workouts as long as you add in a depletion workout right before carb-up.That's because whatever muscles get worked during depletion, will benefit the most from the carb-up. The depletion workout doesn't have to be extremely intense. You're supposed to do lighter weights and higher reps, which is not recommended in BFL. My workouts are similar to BFL too, none of my workouts are longer than an hour either.

Day 1=Cardio (hiit)-20 min
Day 2=Lower body
Day 3=Cardio (hiit)-20 min
Day 4=Upper Body
Day 5=Cardio (hiit)-20 min
Day 6=Depletion

Hope that helped. Good luck, let us know how the carb-up went. I made a lot of mistakes at first too. I knew I wasn't supposed to eat fruit, but I drank a ton of Mountain Dew and candy with high fructose corn syrup.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 07:31

Hi, Misty. Whoops, huh? LOL.

I did discover that things weren't nearly as bad as I thought they were. I ate a TON of skittles yesterday---I almost hate them now. So far I think most of my mistakes yesterday (as I discovered by the END of the day..lol) were creating a custom food on fitday so I could add skittles for my carb up days. I input 40g of fat!!! LOL.. there's only 2.5g of fat per bag on the ones I was eating! What a relief THAT was..to find out the mistake had been that instead of really going over my fat intake for the day!

Another thing I did wrong was misread the CKD parameters sheet. I thought the calories listed were TOTAL calories (for the carb load sections/table). So I thought I had gone over my total daily calories. I hadn't... because the calories listed on the sheet were for CARBS ONLY. Again, I was REAL relieved.

....no wonder the numbers weren't coming together right!

I didn't do a depletion workout for my upper body, but went with the BFL schedule...but seriously upped the intensity/weights.. and hit those 10's in a whole new way for me! It felt good. And, the neat thing is about BFL, is NEXT Friday will be UPPER body instead of lower. So in the end, it all balances out eventually. you know?

Now... today I'm still trying to figure out WHAT the heck I'm supposed to eat!!

thanks for sharing, btw!!!!