Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 08:34

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 305/221/180 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default 50 or older doing CAD with success..

Hi All, just wanted to ask if there is anyone out there that has been doing CAD and are 50 years old or older and have had success.
I have been having some problems with the ATKINS and have even thought about going to Weight Watchers but I just know what having Carbs at every meal will do for me.
I look forward to some feedback. joan
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 20:41

Plan: CAD (Basically)
Stats: 175/154.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:lot/less/little
Progress: 59%
Default Don't go!

Try getting a copy of Carbohydrate Addicts Life Plan book. It is specifically designed for the mature reader. People looking to get healthy and stay that way when they aren't a spring chicken anymore!

This should help. I too had trouble with Atkin's, altho I'm not over 50, I am a firm believer in CAD/CALP. I think you'll do well on this WOE and won't have any negative side effects.

Best of luck!

Jeannie
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 06:12

BF:
Default Thank you so much.....

Hi Jennie, the book I do have from the Hellers is THE CARBOHYDRATE ADDICT'S PROGRAM FOR SUCCESS. A friend of mine is sending me the orginal book by the Hellers and she has lost over 50 pounds on the CAD but she is not 50 either.
Also Jennie, have you heard of anyone when they first begin the CAD gaining maybe 5 pounds in the first week???
Atkins for me has been very difficult and I like the ideal of being able for one hour per day having some carbs.
I have all these questions for you....How much weight have you lost?? Did you really eat anything during the one hour you wanted...such as ice cream, cake , chips, french fries, you know the junk food we Carb Addicts like so much.
I have to admit to you Jennie that going to WW is something I only see as another failure for me. I do feel wonderful on the Atkins eating all the fat and protein and I am surprised to find that I do not bloat on the low Carb. WOE'ing.
Thank you so much for your response. Joan
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 08:54

Default Hi, Again!

To answer some of your questions, at the beginning, I only had about 25 lbs to lose, so my rate of loss cannot be compared to others who want to lose much more.

BUT! I was absolutely glued between 164 and 166 and couldn't move. Nothing I did would budge the scale. I did lo-fat, and exercise and nothing helped. A friend mentioned in passing the phrase "carb addiction" and it was like a lightning strike. That's it!

So, I've been doing this for 3.5 weeks, I feel great, no cravings and I've been able to follow the guidelines without much effort. I've lose 7 lbs so far and am thrilled, thrilled, thrilled!

YES, I've eaten special treats during my RM hour when the desire struck. In the first few days, I had a candy bar every day!!! (I'm so bad.) Yesterday I had a cheese, rice and broccoli caserole for dinner and I lost one pound when I got weighed this morning!

I've had ice cream, cookies, candy bars (as mentioned above), potatoes, rice -- you name it. I really do eat those things.
But, I'm a stickler for keeping my carbs super low the rest of the day, during the Complementary Meals.

I don't expect lightning fast weight loss, but I know this is something I can stick with.

Also, I've never heard of anyone gaining weight when going on it initially, but I'm no expert! Also, if you're going from Atkin's, it ay seem like a shock, but I believe your body will adjust.

Just keep coming back here for encouragement. That's what's getting me through the tougher days. (When the scale is slow to move.) These people here are great. Support from all over the world. How wonderful

You go, Joan!

Jeannie
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 09:32

BF:

Thank you Jennie, so much for the reply it does make me feel better. Wanda also suggested I get both books the CAD and CALP and read them both and then decide.
I think my biggest thing is (same with Atkins) is eating really good food and being satisfied and it actually work. I know when I did the Jennie Craig, which was really expensive, I would eat and still be hungry or at least want something more. I did lose 80 pounds the first time I did JC in 1999 Aug. to April 2000 but guess what as soon as I quit buying the food and tried to eat regular food I began to put the weight back on.
So i do think that actually eating and being satisfied is something that is not familiar to me or for that matter no one doing a regular pyramid type eating.

Jennie, I have also subscribed to your journal so I can keep up with your progress, I hope that is okay. Thanks again joan
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 13:06

Default Hi Joan

The journal is not a problem for me. I don't know that I say anything of major value, there, but if it helps you, you read away!

I think we've all be brainwashed to believe we can't eat a satisfying meal and still lose weight. This is what we've learned our whole lives. Well, I've been pretty satisfied on this WOE and I am losing weight.

It's more about the insulin imbalance than anything, and I believe that now that I truly have seen the results for myself.

Best to you,
Jeannie
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 13:53
Registered Member

Plan: GO, formerly CAD, formerly Atkins
Stats: 160/155/135
BF:
Progress: 20%
Question Atkins to CAD/CALP?

Hi, I'm over 50...55, to be exact. I lost 50 lbs 15 years ago on NutriSystem and have been on WW a few times in my life, but mostly it's just been my own diet because I've always been 10-20 lbs overweight. Now that I'm in my 50's, I haven't been able to lose weight no matter what, even on 900-1000 cal/day, low fat. Until now. I've been on Atkins since July 16. I lost 3-4 lbs within a few days, then nothing until this past week. Now I'm dropping slowly but surely. Atkins isn't hard for me, but there are some things I'd love to have, like pizza and fruit. I've read CAD & CALP and am considering migrating. Jeannie, what do you mean, it might be a shock? I haven't actually done it yet because now that Atkins is working I don't want to run the risk of messing things up! The main difference (other than the reward meal, of course) is that CAD/CALP recommends low fat except at the reward meal and Atkins is always high fat. Any thoughts?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 16:21

Lightbulb What a shock!

Hi!

What I mean by "shock" is this. When you are eating one way, say very lo carb all day for weeks on end, and then, suddenly, you start adding carbs one time a day, (at the Reward Meal), your body may have a reaction like, "Oh, my! What's this?" and perhaps stall. I can't guarantee that, because every one's body works differently.

I know when I throw a curve ball at my body, eating wise, I sometimes get strange results.

I have certainly been losing on CAD and enjoying myself along the way. Now, no other WOE has given me weight loss and enjoyment.

Who could ask for anything more?

Jeannie
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 21:26

Plan: The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program
Stats: 190/140/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default 30-Something

Nice to see new threads on the CAD/CALP line.

I only have my own experiences to draw on, but I have only ever done CALP. Of all the Heller's books I find it to be my favorite. It was the one I started with and the one I have lost 50 pounds with.

Yes, OCCASIONALLY I have ice cream or a cookie, but for the most part I find that the high carb foods that I eat are things like rice, potatoes, beans, squash, veggies.

I don't miss donuts or bread. I don't crave candy ever. Chocolate is an evil word and I have evicted it from my dictionary! .......well......... at least I am trying to!

If you follow the CALP book remember to follow it whole-heartedly. Read and try to follow the Options for Life. Keep a journal.....and by all means........ enjoy!

best wishes,
Libby
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 06:19

BF:
Default staying the course....

Thanks Jennie and Libby for the input. I have gotten so much needed information since subscribing to this thread.
Jennie, you are right my body is the same way. However, Ihave been doing the NO CHEAT TILL LABOR DAY and I have dropped 19 pounds and that has been doing the Atkins. So since I have been able to stay cheat free for a month I think for the time being I will stay with it.

Libby, you have done well with the CAD. I am the type of person that I am afraid the Reward meal would end up being the thing setting me off to really mess up. I do believe we all have to find our nitch and that all programs are not for everyone. Thanks for the reply....joan
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 10:51

Plan: The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program
Stats: 190/140/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default I agree...........

Quote:
I am the type of person that I am afraid the Reward meal would end up being the thing setting me off to really mess up.

Yup. Sounds just like me. I find that I have very little problem with the Reward Meal and knowing when enough is enough. Usually I am full after eating all the healthy stuff. I don't want desert or anything extra (and extra usually means more high carb stuff for me).

Libby
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 12:10

Cool Hi Libby and Joan

I just wanted to clear up something that may have come off the wrong way in a previous post.

I don't eat junk every day! Heck no. BUT, I do have carbs with dinner every day.

The thing that makes this WOE so easy for me is that I know that if I really want something sweet or special, I can go ahead and have it and I haven't "blown the diet."

I find that it's more of a personal choice to eat healthy, most days, than the rules of the book restricting me. With me, if you put a beautiful box in the middle of the room and say, "don't open that." Opening that box is the main thing I want to do. If you tell me "you can't have this, that or the other thing to eat." Then I'll think about eating it all day long! With this WOE, I don't have that kind of restriction, and I find it amazingly easy to stick with it.

Wishing all of us the best of luck with our healthy lifestyle choices!

Jeannie
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 22:56

Plan: calp
Stats: 342/295/190
BF:
Progress: 31%

Just my input.
I don't think 50 is a magic number! Middle age as opposed to youth may be, or more likley activity levels will be a bigger factor on rate of loss. Also the amount you have to lose affects rate.
I have been doing CALP for and extended period of time and have done well all things considered. I have only been maintaining for months but that has been my lax approach to eating, so really this wol has stood me in good steed!
As for the carbs at the reward meal if you balance it properly you will be full withour having a "pig fest". A dish of salad, with dressing followed by a plate filled in equal portions of protien,low carb vegies and carbs is all you want. If I want dessert or a treat use it as 1/3 portion of the meal ratio.I have learned my own weaknesses to be the hidden carbs in processed meats which are my mainstay for the comp. meals. (A bad choice I know, but easy)
Also me to know I can have something special (within reason and planned into the menue)is important. I can always tell mysef I can have something later and cope but never is too long to wait.
I do hope my rambelings are of some value or interest! Have a good one.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 13:56
Registered Member

Plan: GO, formerly CAD, formerly Atkins
Stats: 160/155/135
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default 50 is significant

50 may not be significant for a man, but it certainly is significant for a woman. So many things change in a woman's body around that age. Sometimes I think mine is somebody else's!

Anyway, Cogin, you sound like you've got the whole thing worked out for yourself and that's the most important thing. Your progress says it all!
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 21:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/148/128
BF:
Progress: 66%

I am 51, and have lost over 40 pounds on Atkins, kept it off, and have 20 more to go; however, it is getting difficult to stay with it, and yet I am afraid to add much of any carbs, as I cannot stop at one taste of the things I miss, as potatoes, sweets, etc. I am bored however with the choices on Atkins.