Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-02, 21:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/zone
Stats: 200/165/160
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Breakfast--Pepper Coloued White Omlette with Cheese

My favourite breakfast these days is a "coloured" white cheese omlette.

I use dry egg white since it is more convenient, but you could equally use the egg white that comes in those little "milk" containers.

I use 2 tablespoons (level) of dry egg white to 120 ml of water
I add a dash of sea salt and a couple of shakes to Tabasco and whip it until it is firm.
Then I add about 3/4 of a teaspoon of Vegetable Spread Ajvar (This is pureed baked sweet red pepper and eggplant)
I also add about a tablespoon of MCT (Medium Chain Triglyceride Oil).

I give the mix only the slightest stir so as not to lose all the stiffness that I beat into the egg whites.

I put this in a heated teflon pan and add some slices of 7% fat cheddar cheese (They sell this in Safeway in Canada)

I "finish" the omlette under the broiler and serve with some Toasted Sport Protein Bread buttered with a mixture of butter, coconut butter and pure MCT Oil. I top each slice of toast with one strawberry (prev. frozen) and sprinkle sweetner on top (I use a mixture of inulin and stevia) to make an "instant jam."

Sometimes I add a piece of baked back bacon ("Canadian Bacon" to our US friends).
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 09:27

Plan: Curves starting 13/4/04
Stats: 157/142/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Smile ajvar

Hi Ferrando
I have got a jar of ajvar in my fridge (I purchased from a deli in the UK but it is originally from Germany) and it hasn't got the nutritional information on the label, would yours perhaps have any so that I know what the carbcount is....?

many thanks
Fi
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 11:11
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Fine:

My Ajwar does not list nutritional content either, but your question made me curious:

First I measured the amount I use in an omlette. I took 1 rounded teaspoon and weighed it at 7 grams.

Then I looked up the USDA database and got these results.

% Water % Carbs % Protein
Red Pepper 93 4 1
Egg Plant 92 6 1
Garlic
Vinegar 94 1 0

The only garlic I could find was dry but the quantity is likely small so to be conservative let's say that there is less water and hence more carbs. So if the product were 90% water 10% carbs, the teaspoon of Ajwar would be 0.7 grams.

To be really sure just say that a teaspoon contains 1 gram of carbs. Only use enough to give you enough colour to make the omlette look palatable. Actually if you use too much it comes out looking too pink.

I hope that helps. Were you able to find any MCT oil to put in the omlette. It makes a real difference to you "day" since it gives you a hit of energy that seems to put more bounce in your step and spark to whatever work you do. I think the added "spark" must help burn more fat.

All the best,

Ferrando.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 07:54

Plan: Curves starting 13/4/04
Stats: 157/142/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Thumbs up

Hi Ferrando
Many thanks for that I shall endeavour to use it more often now (hopefully it has not gone off as I haven't used since I started Atkins WOE) just one more thing.... what is MCT oil? I don't know what it is here in Uk...
Take care
Fi
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 09:05
Registered Member

BF:
Default MCT Oil

Hi Fine:

MCT stands for Medium Chain Triglycerides. This is an oil extracted from Coconut. It has 2 unique qualities: When you consume it, it converts to ketones through the liver in about 15 minutes, giving you nearly instant energy much the same way that sugars do, but it does not stimulate an insulin response; and it is generally not able to convert to storage (adipose) tissue.

Thus it is a fat (with all the mouthfeel and ability to carry flavours) that provides energy with less risk of becoming a semi-permanent part of your body.

It is particularly useful because the energy it gives while you are still eating a meal gives me at least a feeling of having had enough to eat as my energy has been restored. It gives enough energy that I think I end up walking and moving with more "bounce" and "spark" that may also help burn other fats.

I suggest you do a Google search on it to read what the experts say, both pro and con.

Ferrando.