Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 08:39

Plan: CKD
Stats: 190/190/180
BF:6
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally posted by Phade
i dont understand your last part West could you explain it. me being 21 that would be 199 for my heart rate i dont have the endurence for that. i wouldnt be able to get to that nor keep like that for a half hour to an hour.

If you are 21, then:

absolute max heart rate is 220-21=199

DON'T go there! Your exercise max should be (absolute) * (percentage). The percentage depends on your goals and kind of training. Check with TrainerDan on this, but my understanding is that sustainable long-duration cardio should be done at 70% or so, which is

199 * 70% = 139

High-intensity cardio training, such as intervals or sprints, may be done at 80-85%, which is 159-169 bpm respectively. The duration of this kind of training should be relatively low.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 14:56
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 280/270/200
BF:
Progress: 13%

cool when i swim i can get it to 140 easy and it stays there and its not to difficult either anymore. i was gonna be doubling my time/ distence to 50 min. / 1 mile. right now i do 1/2 mile in 25 min and have around 140 for at least 3/4 of the swim. it took me a bit to get to that but im there now and it seems that im doing the right thing then for my heart rate, cool . thank you west very much.