Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, May-18-01, 18:32

Plan: CKD
Stats: 245/215/130
BF:
Progress:
Default TRY THEM!

THEY ARE SOOOOOOOO GOOD! I wish they would give me bath room problems!ha! That would be an easy solution!
SMILE,
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, May-18-01, 20:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Ok...good to know.....sorbees....not a good one..although they taste great......but Wendy doesn't need bathroom problems...or bad gas.....so....yeppers...me going to try them....yep yep...sweet tooth that I am.....what do you mean you taste things sweeter.....huh? give me your problem....LOL
  #18   ^
Old Fri, May-18-01, 21:59

Stats: 171/147/125
BF:
Progress: 52%
Talking

It's the maltitol that causes the "bathroom problems". It's also in the Russel Stover candies so be careful! You're not supposed to eat too much of it, I think a maximum of 40g maltitol. A lot of things that contain it actually have a warning on the label!
Unless the Sorbees contained sorbitol, maybe it would have a slightly different effect. What kind of sorbees candy did you eat ?(and how many!)
  #19   ^
Old Fri, May-18-01, 22:06

BF:
Talking

It's the maltitol that causes the "bathroom problems". It's also in the Russel Stover candies so be careful! You're not supposed to eat too much of it, I think a maximum of 40g maltitol. A lot of things that contain it actually have a warning on the label!
Unless the Sorbees contained sorbitol, maybe it would have a slightly different effect. What kind of sorbees candy did you eat ?(and how many!)
  #20   ^
Old Sat, May-19-01, 05:34

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default Asher's Sugar Free Mint Truffle Bar

Someone was asking about a sugar free bar that tased like the old , "Peppermint Patty" bars we used to buy, can't remember if it was on this board or not....while I was at my local Candystore that carries Ross' noticed another bar set up beside them called, "Asher's Sugar Free Mint Truffle Bar"....this bar comes in four squares attached and IMHO tastes like a peppermint patty.

Carb content per bar is 31 carbs minus the sugar alcohols (maltitol) 29 for a total of 2 E Carbs. I would think most confectionary stores that carry sugar free chocolate would carry this item but one thought comes to mind that Jody Garbe at, "Low Carb Edibles" carries some Asher's sugar free products.

Bonnie
  #21   ^
Old Sat, May-19-01, 06:48

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Hi,

yes, I am aware of the maltitol, Doreen told me about it. I only ate three pieces of the sorbee chocolate and the running to the bathroom with awful belly aches came about 1/2 or so after eating them.

I wondered about the other chocolates if they had this ingredient in them, I was going to check when looking into them, with your information Deirdre I don't have to now. Me staying away from anything that has maltitol in it......yikes!
  #22   ^
Old Sat, May-19-01, 10:25

BF:
Talking Re: Asher's Sugar Free Mint Truffle Bar

Bonnie [/B][/QUOTE]
Quote:
Someone was asking about a sugar free bar that tased like the old , "Peppermint Patty" bars we used to buy, can't remember if it was on this board or not....while I was at my local Candystore that carries Ross' noticed another bar set up beside them called, "Asher's Sugar Free Mint Truffle Bar"....this bar comes in four squares attached and IMHO tastes like a peppermint patty.

Sorbee's also makes sugar free peppermint patties. I get them at Bulk Barn, A&P or they also come in little packages that I've seen at Walmart and Drugstores. They're pretty good.

I can also get Asher's products at my local chocolate store and at the "General Store" craft store.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, May-19-01, 18:50
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198.5/198.5/130
BF:
Progress:
Talking russel stover PB cups

hey all, just wanted to say i just tried one...and OH MY GOD they're heaven sent. i'm not going to eat them on a regular basis, but for the occassional "pat on the back" but yea, they did give me stomach cramps and other various "bathroom problems" and that was just from one but it's so well worth it *L*

-wussypuff
  #24   ^
Old Sat, May-19-01, 21:28

Plan:
Stats: 300/300/150
BF:
Progress:
Default Sugar Alcohols

Hi Everyone,
I'm new here and just beginning Protein Power. I saw the thread on chocolate (addicted) and was surprised to see that we can deduct that from carb counts. Is this something new?

Gotta go shopping.
Thanks ,
Shirley
  #25   ^
Old Sat, May-19-01, 21:56
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default Re: Sugar Alcohols

Quote:
Originally posted by Slange
Hi Everyone,
I'm new here and just beginning Protein Power. I saw the thread on chocolate (addicted) and was surprised to see that we can deduct that from carb counts. Is this something new?

Gotta go shopping.
Thanks ,
Shirley

Hi Shirly, welcome aboard.

No, chocolate may not be deducted from carb count. There are some low(er)-carb chocolate bars available, but they still contain carbs and they should be counted. It is better for beginners to not use them, and follow the initial phase of the diet strictly. Afterwards, if you ever have the urge, these bars may be a better alternative to breaking the diet and going for the real thing. Be careful though, some actually stop losing weight on these products, while others don't.

Hope this helps, and keep us posted on your progress.

Wa'il
  #26   ^
Old Mon, May-21-01, 21:43

Plan:
Stats: 300/300/150
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy Sugar Alcohol

Thanks Wa'il,
Chocolate is a trigger for me so best that I avoid any and all for a while.
Shirley
  #27   ^
Old Thu, May-24-01, 18:15

Plan: protein power
Stats: 190/150/145
BF:
Progress: 89%

okay.i've been in and out of this thread since rainny started it and now i'm gonna ask.........

WHAT EXACTLY ARE THESE CALLED BY RUSSEL STOVER AND WHAT DOES THE PACKAGING LOOK LIKE?!?!?!?!?!?!?

i'm DIEING to try these!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-01, 21:25

BF:

I found Russel Stover's Pecan Caramel clusters in boxes at Walmart. There are 12 in a box for $7.48 (Canadian). That was the only sugar free candy they had. Make sure you look for the "no sugar added" and not the regular ones, they were with all their other boxed chocolates in a Russel Stover display.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-01, 21:38
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 290/270/150
BF:
Progress:

I saw the Russell Stovers candies at Walgreens today with the regular Russell Stover stuff, so I gather you can probably find them any place. I was almost going to get a pecan one but I had a coupon for a diabetic bar from a magazine so I decided to get that. (I'm a diabetic, that's why I'm doing low carb.) The bar was ok but not nearly as yummy as the RS would have been, I'm sure.

Speaking of yummy, I made myself a box of sugar-free Jello chocolate pudding last night with 2 tbsp soy protein powder added, and when I tasted it tonight it tasted like chocolate mousse! I ate the whole 2 cup container in the span of an hour! I am SOOOO bad, but at least it wasn't the regular kind, right?
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-01, 21:40
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 290/270/150
BF:
Progress:

OMG! I just remembered I am a 2-3 hour drive away from a Russell Stover Factory Outlet! mmmmmmmmmmmmmm