Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-24-01, 08:01
Registered Member

Plan:
Stats: 236/210/155
BF:
Progress:
Smile

Hi....I'm Carol from Kamloops , B.C.
Found your board the other day & was pleased as there are no Canadians on any of the other boards I visit.I'm a returnee to low carb and hope this time I can make it work! I'm doing PPP!
I posted some recipes on your recipe board!
Carol
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-24-01, 10:30
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Welcome Carol, I think we now have a few members from Kamloops, enough for another coffee club

And thanks for the recipes!

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-24-01, 10:48
Registered Member

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Talking Thank you .....

...for the welcome!
I'm looking forward to getting to know the Kamloops girls and everyone else here! I am a regular poster at Barbo's Diet Kitchen where we support any healthy eating plan.There are probably close to 1800 recipes in her archives, many posted by me but not tested by me!!Here is her board addy and once there just click on the gold Archives box.Lots of good recipes! A new one was posted for Tami's French Toast and it is incredible...you have to see the ingredients!!

http://www.laguna2001.com/barbo/index.pl

Hope to see you there!!
Carol
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-24-01, 11:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default recipe info

Thanks for the recipes...and website. I'm constantly trying new recipes.

Welcome, hope to see you around lots.

#5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-25-01, 10:26

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 265/233/???
BF:
Progress:
Default Welcome all Newbies

Just wanted to say Hi to all the new people. I don't post as often as I should.

My hubby and me hail from Winnipeg and we have a small little low carb group that gets together occasionally. Trying to set up a coffee nite right now. It's hard to believe that in this connected world of the Internet and a city this size that there are only five or six of us doing low carb!

Have a good day everybody.

Robin
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-25-01, 21:12

Stats: 169/147/107
BF:
Progress:

Hi to Carol and Robin! Glad to meet you! The more the merrier as they say ...

#7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-01, 07:52
Registered Member

Plan:
Stats: 204/196/145
BF:
Progress:

Hi Carol....I was going to ask you if you were the Carol from Barbos board, and then I read in your second post that you were. I have all your recipes from the other board and they people here at this Canadian board are in for a real treat!!!

Stephanie
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-01, 15:46
Registered Member

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Talking

Thanks for the welcome Stephanie and everyone else!
I have been with Barbo's board for over two years and before that I was at the Low Carb Cafe! I haven't posted for awhile as I was testing WW again to see if going back to wheat products would flare up my headaches and joint pain.Well......it did so I'm officially back on low carb.I always feel so much healthier on low carb and plan now to make this my WOE for life.
I have converted a wonderful bran muffin recipe to low carb and Iplan to rest it tomorrow...if it's a sucess I will post the recipe.It will make 24.

Carol
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-01, 15:34
lizzy38

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

HI: I'm Liz and new to the board. My daughter (number one Wendy)got me interested in the low carb. I'm still reading the books I have such as Dr. Atkins and Living Low Carb. I haven't started the two week woe of eating yet as I have concerns regarding it, especially the high fat foods with saturated fats. My cholestral is great but my husband had a bypass operation last yr. and I am very concerned about the high fat foods it mentions. Cholestrol is a big issue when it comes to him. Most of this is confusing as I have the right (HDL) that my system makes but he has (LDL) and it runs in his family. All his uncles and his Father has passed away now. I want to be able to make the same meals for both of us, not two different meals. I would like to keep a very low chlosteral count in my recipes. Sorry to go on and on but would like to hear from anyone with these concerns or if you have any feedback on this.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-01, 16:01

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Hey Lizzy (Mom),

Good for you, you posted! I knew you could do it. Great support here Mom so don't be afraid to post any questions you have. Naturally I'm not able to help you much as I am learning right along with you

I"m replying to your post to show you how it comes in your email.

Love, Wendy
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-01, 16:28

BF:

Hi Carol,

Welcome aboard. I too am pretty new. Look forward to sharing this experience with you

Wendy
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-01, 16:31

BF:

Oh my, missed you Robin,

Yep I'm one of the newbies. Good to meet you. How long have you being doing this woe?

Keep posting Robin, we newbies need all the help we can get...lol. And truly appreciate it

Wendy
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-01, 16:43

Stats: 190/171/140
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Atkins, fat & cholesterol effects

Atkins claims even though his diet is high fat, his patients end up with lower cholesterol because of metabolic aspects of ketosis. I've been on induction 9 weeks, eating the usual lots of meat on this woe, and lots of high fat cheeses, heavy cream etc. (or at least way more than I normally would have eaten of saturated fats). I asked my own doc about the risk, so he's sent me for blood tests to see if my previously normal cholesterol counts have gone up. I'll let you know when I get results.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-01, 20:33
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally posted by lizzy38
HI: I'm Liz and new to the board. My daughter (number one Wendy)got me interested in the low carb. I'm still reading the books I have such as Dr. Atkins and Living Low Carb. I haven't started the two week woe of eating yet as I have concerns regarding it, especially the high fat foods with saturated fats. My cholestral is great but my husband had a bypass operation last yr. and I am very concerned about the high fat foods it mentions. Cholestrol is a big issue when it comes to him. Most of this is confusing as I have the right (HDL) that my system makes but he has (LDL) and it runs in his family. All his uncles and his Father has passed away now. I want to be able to make the same meals for both of us, not two different meals. I would like to keep a very low chlosteral count in my recipes. Sorry to go on and on but would like to hear from anyone with these concerns or if you have any feedback on this.

Hi Liz,

Nice to have family on board!

You're doing it the right way, by reading first and making sure it's right for YOU.

Some people who have cholestrol problems still follow a low-carb diet, while maintaining a low-fat diet at the same time.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Wa'il
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-01, 20:58

BF:

Hey wa'l,

Your reply came to my email...lol...thought it would go to my mom's? Nothing has been sent to her, strange eh?

Oh well, thought I would get my Mother on this board so that she can have answers to her questions?

Sure hope you all can help her out.

Wendy