Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 19:35

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 178/159.2/131 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 40%
Wink New Gal here

Hello everyone! Well I have been reading these posts for advice for the past week, you are all so helpful!

I am a college student looking to kick my carb habit. I am utterly and totally addicted to carbs. I am just afraid with all this fat I am eating I am going to gain weight!

How many grams of fat does the average atkin's dieter eat a day?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 09:35

Plan: Pregnant
Stats: 318.5/276/190 Female 5 9
BF:
Progress: 33%

Chunkybutt
Look at the success stories!!! Read the book again! Dont worry about the fat right now. What you are worried about is CARBS. Eat a lot of veggies for your carbs. Otherwise, stick to eggs, chicken, turkey, bacon, steak etc. YOU WILL DO IT! Look around this forum--the cholesterol levels FALL, the blood pressures FALL, the weight drops OFF, the energy levels INCREASE!!!

You have been swamped by false info from the mainstream (we have all done 1000 low cal diets before)---Just trust your body! I guarantee you after you go through the sugar withdrawals and headaches that you will have more energy than you ever knew!

Good luck
Vicki
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 10:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/140/125
BF:Don't want to know
Progress: 50%
Unhappy

Chuckybutt,
I too was a little worried about possibly gaining weight from eating fatty type/protein foods. However, I have never really had the success that I have now being on ATKINS. My energy level is through the roof!! My clothes are literally starting to fall off of me. I can also say that I can think so much more clearer than before. I felt like I was alway in a fog, which is a direct result of being a carb/sugar addict. Give LC a try for 2 weeks (& don't cheat!!!) and I promise you will see significant results. I don't even crave that crap anymore, and you won't either! Good luck! You have lots of support here!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 16:20

BF:
Lightbulb The glory of Chicken Wings

Thanks for the support!

Well I indugled in a box of Tyson's Hot and Spicy Chicken Wings today. I have never had chicken wings before. I think I've been reborn.

3 carbs.? Could it be so.

Thanks!
Chunky Butt

Last edited by chunkybutt : Tue, Jul-23-02 at 17:33.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 17:33

Plan: schwarzbein
Stats: 210/210/170 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

chunky butt, your name kills me! it makes me smile every time i see it.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 19:06

BF:

Thanks!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 22:08

Plan: my own
Stats: 285/285/185
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Hey there chunky butt!

OK - first things first -- your name is too cute - it "cracks" me up!!!!
I know what you mean - I have been searching trough all this LC info - and I just can't get over how it can at all be possible to lose weight eating all that fat. I can only assume that we must all have been brainwashed over the years to think a certain way when it comes to diet and nutrition.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 23:48

BF:

I know what you mean. I realized that the majority of my food intake was refined white flour and sugar. I wish I could say I could just eat a balanced diet. But I know I can't. After I eat carbs I have an almost uncontrollable urge to eat, and eat, and eat. I do have to say, for someone who binges alot, I haven't since I have been eating low carb.

But there is a part of me that thinks god this can't be right, as I am wiping my face and fingers from greasy chicken wings. And this is supposed to make me fit my jeans tomorrow??? We'll I guess will see. Keep me updated of your progress.

Chunky Butt
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-02, 07:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/182/170 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 78%

Oooooh, another Hoosier! Welcome to the forum! I know what you are going through with the fat thing! It took me 2 weeks to not feel panicky every time I ate a meal! It didn't help that close relatives were telling me I was eating heart attack food!

However, I spent 7 years on a ultra low fat diet (under 15 and sometimes 10 grams) and exercised 6 days a week and gained my weight! You can see to the side what fat has done for me!

Just remember tons of water and lots of calories from fat, and you'll be fine. Also, come to some of the support groups. I'm in a "140" group in the countdown club. Come join us sometime!

Good luck and happy lowcarbing! Amber
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-02, 08:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Sugar Busters
Stats: 196/163.5/150
BF:
Progress: 71%

Hi Chunkybutt! hee, I love your avatar! What program did you use to make it? And I'm with everyone else. Your name is too cute. hee!
We have all been there with the panicking stage. It is absolutely amazing how it works though. protein, fat and SUGAR are poison mixed together. Looking at it that way has helped me. If you eat like this, ie: all the protein, fat and then add the carbs on top of it, you will most definitely gain weight, but since you are eliminating the carbs from the diet, you will lose weight. Complete opposite. Welcome!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-02, 19:15

BF:

Heya TexasGal,
Thanks! I made my avatar in Ilustrator. I am a Computer Graphics student so I like to doodle - It aids in my procrastination. I'll take avatar requests anyone?!

Problem of the low carb week: ChunkyButt can't seem to make it McDondalds breakfast on time.

I am a night person, so I get up around 10:30am, and I have been dying to indulge in scrambled eggs and sausage at McD's. I have banned myself for several years when I found out how much fat was in that.

Well we'll see.
Grease, Meat, Cheese = thin
thin=chunkybutt bliss

Good luck this week low carbing.

Chunky Butt
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-02, 19:18

BF:
Talking Hoosier Transplant

Hiya fellow Hoosier!
It is nice to see some indiana people here. Well I have to confess I am a chicago gal, and a hoosier college transplant. I swear when I got to Indiana, all I did was make fun of it. But it turns out I am a closet hoosier and Indiana lover. I like those Indiana boys!
Where in Indiana are you located?

Chunky Butt
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-02, 20:07
Registered Member

BF:

Hiyah Chunky Butt! hmmm, I dont think I am familiar with Illustrator? Does it have another name that goes with it? I am just now getting into the graphics thingy. I have Corel Draw 9, which I hate, and Xara X which I dont know how to use and sevral others that I cant even begin to tell you how to even open them. Do you have any ideas on some easy programs.

OK, now that I was completely off subjec there. hee, sorry. I make my scrambled eggs and bacon every morning here. I I buy the already cooked bacon, so I just pop it in the micro and it is done in a minute. Of course as soon as my kids smelll it, they have to each have one or two. So I have now started making 8 pieces. and scramble 4 eggs, because no doubt by the time I am done, I will have had one piece of bacon and maybe two bites of eggs. hee. So, off again, maybe instead of trying to get up before 10:30, you can cook them yourself. I know hard concept for a college student. hee. I cant even remember the last time I slept til 10:30, usually I am up at 5:30. you'll do great either way. Good luck!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-02, 22:10

BF:
Default 5:30 eek!

Hey TexasGal
Aye 5:30am??? I am going to bed at that time. I have never been a morning person, I am worried when I graduate and have to work a 9-5, god forbid a 8-4!

Illustrator is an Adobe product. You can usually get Illustrator/Photoshop/Imageready packages. Adobe products are by far (in my opinion) the best quality and most powerful tools you can use. Unfortunately they are not always the simplest.
It really depends what you want to do. Corel Draw is good, I personally don't use it.
Macromedia Freehand, I would say is the easiest. It really depends on what you are looking to do. Drawing, making web graphics?? Jasc Paint Shop isnt that bad either, and it is quite cheap compared to the others.

Cooking for myself? Aye! I try, it is just hard. Coming from an Italian family the only thing I can cook is lasagna! But low carbing is definately helping with cooking. I made crab cakes the other day. And I have been boiling a lot of eggs. Any simple recipies you like?

Chunky Butt
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 07:18
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Chunky Butt! Actually today I was up at 4:30. That is what happens when you have kids! hee! believe me, I would'nt get up until noon if I didn't have to. I love to sleep, but my human alarm clocks seem to control the time the day starts.

Adobe Elements came with my computer. But I dont even know how to open it. hee! I think mainly I want to make graphics, but I dont know how to do the from scratch, which I think that coreldraw is. From scratch. I am not interested in free draw by hand. Just want to make some graphics and add some jazz to them. My problem is that I dont have time to sit down and play with programs. With three little boys on hand, it makes it difficult! Thanks for your tips!

The beauty of LCing is that everything is pretty simple to make. You dont have to make gourmet meals to get the results. Throw a steak on the grill, marinate some chicken in some italian dressing and throw those on the grill or in the oven then top them off with some white cheese. easy veggies, frozen broccoli, just heat and serve, and melt some chedder cheese and throw it on top of that. Check out the recipes section on the forum. Karens' meatloaf is wonderful. My kids even liked that one, and they wont even eat my regular meatloaf. Something I do that is simple is brown some ground beet with some onion soup mixture. Then throw in some lettuce, sour cream, a little quacamole, and hot sauce and you have a taco salad. Without the shell of course. Scramble up some eggs and instead of making an omlet, throw all the ingredients in the scrambled eggs and mix it up. There are lots of things you can do with this WOE. There are great ideas in teh recipes section. Good Luck!

kandi