Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-14-01, 08:54

Plan: CKD
Stats: 245/215/130
BF:
Progress:
Angry People's reactions to Low-carb diets

Good Morning Everyone!
A friend and I were talking the other night about the reactions people have to different diets, mainly low-carb. I’ve done it all. I was fat as a kid, borderline anorexic as a teenager, starved myself as a young adult. I’ve done low- cal, low fat, back to starving, did speed with GREAT SUCCESS in weight lose {who knows what I did to my body with the phen phen}, then low-carbs…but only as a diet…not a life style, then gained it all back. Then the roller coaster started all over, I tried EVERYTHING AGAIN…but came back quickly to low-carb. What’s funny about this is the low-carb is the ONLY thing that has freaked people out. The reactions are out of this world. What is the deal with this. I mean no one ever got upset over the anorexic behavior or the speed…but mention Low-carb and people about have a heart attack. I even had this guy pull my husband aside telling him to think about what he was doing. That he need to realize that carbs where good for him…and that this was damaging him. It really upsets me!!
So tell me…what reactions have y’all had to this diet?
Smile!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-14-01, 09:01

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Actually it is kinda funny.....When I started the diet back on April 28th and started losing weight, people in my office asked what I was doing. I told them and shared my book with them. Also gave them this web page so they could read the input from you good people.

So far 4 people in my office are now on this diet, including their families. So far all are doing fantastic, only one is showing no weight loss, but she is taking hormone shots.

Any suggestions for her?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-14-01, 09:27

BF:
Progress:

I guess I get more bad reactions than good ones. I really wish I could get more people to be more open about it. I've lost 25 lbs since April 1st and my husband had went below his goal with his 25 lb lose, not to mention his stress level is so much better. Even then kid have noticed! If he gets cranky they ask him if he is eating to many carbs...the answer is usually YES! HA!
It just frustrates me. I know this is a great solution to such a LIFE LONG BATTLE...if more people would give it a chance.
SMILE,
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-14-01, 09:32

BF:
Progress:
Question hormones shots

[So far 4 people in my office are now on this diet, including their families. So far all are doing fantastic, only one is showing no weight loss, but she is taking hormone shots.

Any suggestions for her? [/B][/QUOTE]

I would try to increase the fat and lower the carb...if that doesn't work than maybe lower the calories. Is there an natural hormone she could take instead? What is that one thing...yam root? May be she needs to talk with her doctor about lower the dose?
Smile,
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-14-01, 09:40
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I haven't received too much resistance to my WOE. One person asked me, Isn't it bad for your liver?, so I told her yes.

One of my work mates was inspired by my success and has lost quite a bit of weight. Another wavers back and forth but is pleased with his results. And I've noticed the management team eating less or no potatoes, rice or bread with their meals.

This WOE works as great leverage for guilt because everyone knows that white flour, sugar and potato chips is not the ideal way to eat. So, if someone is asks me questions about LC, I plant the seed, (usually while they are eating a piece of bread) and say, When you mix flour and water together you get glue! Why do you want to eat glue???

We get quite a few LC'ers coming to the restaurant and I always feel warm towards them when they ask for double vegetables or a salad instead of rice or potatoes.

How often have you heard someone say I can't live without bread, rice, pasta, cereal, sugar in my coffee etc.? Is that an addict talking or what? I find it highly amusing!

Rainny, you have the secret to a better WOL. Everyone else has been brainwashed and cannot see the light. Smile sagely and nod your head at detractors.

Now, if I coud only practice what I preach and become a real role model, not half of one...

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-14-01, 10:35

Plan: Diabetes Control/own adaptation
Stats: 343/270/ 200
BF:
Progress:
Default Guilty myself

I remember a friend of mine talking about going on a low carbo diet, and I wasn't very supportive at all (which is odd for me, I try to be supportive of most of my friends ideas-- after all, who am I to judge what is good or bad) .

I guess it would only be justice that my health has forced me to do the very thing that I was talking down. I have to control my carbos now, and I didn't realize just how many carbohydrates my diet possesed before. Needless to say I had to appologize to my friend. Is Crow low in carbos?

Whether or not I loose weight (which I am doing anyway), I am feeling better than I have in years, and even better, I am able to control my blood sugar. I truely believe had I been smart enough to start this diet BEFORE I wore out my pancreas, I would have saved myself the hassle of testing my blood daily.

Don't let anyone discourage you, you are doing the SMART thing, taking care of your body now. I wish I had learned this lesson sooner (but I am a bit hard headed )
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-14-01, 10:40

BF:
Progress:
Default hee hee!

Karen,
Your great! HA! You sound like someone who would be great fun to hang around!
I'm a pretty stubborn person when I find something that works. But it hurts me when I have love ones in my life...like my parents...and they tell me they cant afford to eat like me. I don't see how you can afford to eat any other way. They both have high blood pressure and heart problems. Mom has a problem that the doctors can't explain where her foot and hand gets so dry and bumpy and will even bleed. Dad has had several strokes and is have small ones on a daily bases. He also has a problem where he will get real white, sweaty, cold and develops the shakes. As soon as he consumes a large amount of sugar he is okay. I KNOW THIS WOULD HELP HIM! I have come to terms with the fact that they will never try this. But it still makes me sad. I did get my Aunts on it. And my husband was a great turn around! He can believe how he has change mentally and physically...it has improved our marriage 100%

I know what I'm doing is right for me and my family...But I'm a rescuer! ha! I JUST WANT TO MAKE EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING BETTER EVERYWHERE! HA! Oh well, maybe in a perfect world!
Smile,
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-14-01, 10:52
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default Re: Guilty myself

Quote:
Originally posted by TammyJoi
Whether or not I loose weight (which I am doing anyway), I am feeling better than I have in years, and even better, I am able to control my blood sugar. I truely believe had I been smart enough to start this diet BEFORE I wore out my pancreas, I would have saved myself the hassle of testing my blood daily.

Thanks for sharing this Tammy! I never realised this aspect of diabetese. I also admire your attitude! Good luck on your WOL!

Wa'il
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-14-01, 12:14
Forum Founder

BF:
Default Re: hee hee!

Quote:
Originally posted by rainny

I'm a pretty stubborn person when I find something that works. But it hurts me when I have love ones in my life...like my parents...and they tell me they cant afford to eat like me. I don't see how you can afford to eat any other way.

I know what I'm doing is right for me and my family...But I'm a rescuer! ha! I JUST WANT TO MAKE EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING BETTER EVERYWHERE! HA! Oh well, maybe in a perfect world!
Smile,

A lot of people, especially older ones have the carb habit so ingrained that they can't fathom any other way to eat. The devil you know is better than the devil you don't know? Changing their WOE is probably real scary for them.

This WOE does not have to be expensive. We're not chowing down on beef tenderloin everyday. I think if you look at other peoples menus (I'm an exception because I'm lucky as well as unlucky to work in a restaurant--whipped cream is always available arrrgh!) you will find that if you add a sandwich here, a bowl of cereal there, a couple of high sugar drinks and mashed potatoes with dinner, you will find the standard daily diet of most people.

I have found that I actually eat less than I did before because I'm not stuffing bread and cookies into my face all day in a futile effort to stay coherent.

To risk evangelism, have them over for a low-carb meal based on chicken legs or ground beef and vegetables. Like you, I hate to see people ruining their health by the way they eat when the answer seems so simple.

Here's to the perfect world.

Karen
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-14-01, 13:27

Plan:
Stats: 145/135/120
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up non-belivers

boy, can I relate to the "you're doing WHAT??" Almost like I would get more support if I were to abuse diet pills or start the Heroin Plan or anything but give up carbs. I began telling people early on but found it was not worth the iritation level to have to justify my choices. The only people I will divulge my "secret" to are those I feel are sincerely open minded and wanting to have some of the success I have had. the rest can wonder on...Was recently on a camp-out with 40 boy cubs & leaders..........one person made an off the cuff remark about the sour cream I was dipping my green beans in. I smiled and dipped on, making no mention about the potato chips, potato salad, pasta salad, and baked beans( or the fact his belt buckle could only be assumed was there) for me, my lo carb is akin to "the meek shall inherit the mirth" carry on locos
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-14-01, 14:03
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
What’s funny about this is the low-carb is the ONLY thing that has freaked people out. The reactions are out of this world. What is the deal with this. I mean no one ever got upset over the anorexic behavior or the speed…but mention Low-carb and people about have a heart attack
What's more odd, is that I'm old enough to remember a time when the popular theory was that more protein is good, healthy, and starches made you fat. Weight Watchers earliest program, Overeaters Anonymous, TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) .. they ALL encouraged a reduced calorie regimen that provided higher amounts of lean protein and vegetable oils, lots of vegetables, controlled portions of lowcarb fruit, and reduced/restricted intake of starches and grains. That was in the 60s and 70s.

Public media is very, very powerful in its ability to propagandize and influence popular thought. When the link between cholesterol and heart disease was publicized in the early 80s, food manufacturers went NUTS promoting the low cholesterol, lowfat foods, and sat back while their profits soared. Scientists and researchers KNEW all along that dietary cholesterol -- that which you consume -- has little to do with the level of cholesterol in your blood, which is more influenced by the function of the liver in response to ... SUGAR ... Ooooppss .... ranting, sorry! ..

I recently heard a brief news item about how Canadian prairie farmers are being offered financial incentives to convert part of their land from grain to livestock production. The end of the news item made comment that similar programs are underway in the US farming states as well. I didn't pay much attention at the time, but I have since thought that it will be interesting to see if, in coming years, the pressure will be on to eat more meat, less grain, since the supply of both will be changing in that direction. Once again, the public health is dictated by politics and profit. Some things never change.

Doreen
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-14-01, 15:00

BF:
Progress:
Smile Oh I hope so!

Wouldn't it be WONDERFUL to be able to go to the grocery story and buy low-carb bread,chips, ice cream... That sounds so great! I too believe it will come in a few years. I know more and more people are doing the low-carb thing...but it is also hidden. That to me is what is sad. I remember when Jenny Craig first introduce the low-carb diet...I though GREAT! Something that works! My boss at the time was doing the Jenny Craig thing and wanted me to join her. I was pretty stuck to the low-carb thing ao I told her no...but we stayed as work out partners! So when they started the low-carb thing I was pretty excited because I figured they would have LOW CARB FOOD ITEMS YOU COULD BUY! The carbs where to high and I wouldn't do it. Needless to say my boss wasn't happy...and it was the beginning of the end for our friendship and my job. Yes my job. It became a jealousy thing. I was loosing steadily and she was struggling. Anyway I do think the way of thinking is turning around. And no matter what low-carb diet your doing I think everyone owe Dr. Atkins a great deal of Thanks for sticking to his guns and promoting this way of eating! I know I do! And I'm grateful to know that when my kids grow up they will have and answer to the problem. Talking about kids...what is the right amount of carbs for a kid on a diet. I started a thread...but didn't get a bite the last time I looked!ha!
Smile,
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-14-01, 15:20

BF:
Progress:
Default Re: Re: hee hee!

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen

A lot of people, especially older ones have the carb habit so ingrained that they can't fathom any other way to eat. The devil you know is better than the devil you don't know? Changing their WOE is probably real scary for them.

I have found that I actually eat less than I did before because I'm not stuffing bread and cookies into my face all day in a futile effort to stay coherent.

To risk evangelism, have them over for a low-carb meal based on chicken legs or ground beef and vegetables. Like you, I hate to see people ruining their health by the way they eat when the answer seems so simple.

Here's to the perfect world.

Karen

Karen,
Know its scary for them...I just pray they will see someday. Right now they eat mostly potatoes. Mom says she couldn't live with out them! Sound familiar! ha! I have really tried to tell then that we don't eat that much and that our grocery bill is really lower...but they won't hear of it. What is funny is Dad his a high protein shake thing for a long time and lost allot of weight. But he has gained it all back because he can't live that way. But he does understand that the hi protein low carb works. And I know they had to be spending more money doing the shakes then the way we eat. I'm hoping that if I cna REALLY get my aunts to eat this way {they are having heart attacks right and left back there } That not only will it improve there health but maybe they will convince her that its not expensive to do this. HOPE HOPE PRAY PRAY! I want my parent to have a long healthy life. To see there grandbabies grow up!
I guess all I can do is move forward... pray for the future to show the truth about low-carbs...and for the industry,FDA & American Heart Association to embrace the low-carb way...so that we all can be healthy! AND STAY WITH THIS GREAT GROUP! Y'all are great!
Smile,
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-14-01, 20:53
Forum Founder

BF:
Default Re: non-belivers

Quote:
Originally posted by kian
boy, can I relate to the "you're doing WHAT??" Almost like I would get more support if I were to abuse diet pills or start the Heroin Plan or anything but give up carbs. \

The Crack Plan works well too, LOL! A sure fire way to lose 30 lbs. in 30 days.

I live in Vancouver's Gastown/East End, which is the poorest area in Canada. Junkies, crackheads, hookers, schizophrenics, bi-polar--you name it, it's here.

There are many places that give out bread and some days the streets are littered with cinnamon buns, bagels, baguettes stuck in chain link fences and exploded loaves of the white sliced stuff.

Makes you wonder. Food that is so disposable?

I'm really enjoying this thread.

Karen
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-14-01, 21:52

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 244/224/130 Female 5' 3" (should be 6'3")LOL
BF:
Progress: 18%

Boy, a whole lot of people are giving me a hard time.
I have had everything from "you can"t loose weight that fast" to " he is a quack!" or "ketones are poison I tell you, they will kill you" or " it just isn't normal you know!"
My dietitian gave me a hard time to. And I asked her "if low carb diets are so bad, why do you put diabetics on them?"
I have dieted myself into obesity with all of these other diets. So far Atkins has given me results and my blood sugars have never been better.
So I say to all the critics........LOL