Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-04-02, 13:58
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%
Thumbs up Best pudding I've evern tasted

Hello! I came across this idea.. somewhere and tweaked it. My non-low-carb family raves over it as well.
I use Nitro-Tech chocolate protein powder (3 grams carb per scoop) in this recipe, as it is a staple in my house. (we weightlift) I don't know how this would work using other brands, because of the taste.

Single (large)Serving:

Mix one scoop protein *thoroughly* with about 1/4 cup cream and 1 tbs cocoa in a mug.

In a separate glass whip 1/4 cup of cream until whipped. Do not sweeten.

Crush about 2 tbs of frozen raspberries and put on top of the protein mixture. Spoon the whipped cream over top, give it 3 stirs with your spoon and voila. Incredible!

I've added a spoonful of instant coffee to the pudding with great results, as well as a spoonful of melted peanut butter!

You can also make it with vanilla powder instead of chocolate.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-08-02, 05:19

Plan: protein power
Stats: 168.8/157.9/130 Male 5 foot 2 inches
BF:33.1/27/20
Progress: 28%
Talking yumm yumm

Sounds absolutely

Yummy

Must remember this one

Rob
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 15:03

Talking XXXXX

WEEaaaooooowwwwwww!!!!!!!!

this is pure heaven

Rob
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 15:40
Registered Member

Talking

Rob, you tried it? Every time someone comes over for dinner I make this for dessert.. only adding 1-2 tbs of crushed raspberries into the mixture, and they can't believe I eat this when I'm losing fat.

Nitro tech (I am not assoc. w/ them in any way) so far has given me the best flavour, when I add a tsp of cocoa to it.
I tried some other brands but they had a very distinct whey flavour and smell to them.

take care,
Meg
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-13-02, 11:32

Talking pudding

Hey Meg,

I did try it and it bowled me over .

I am in the UK so our products are different to yours . I used a chocolate flavoured whey protein powder with cocoa as you described and it was unreal . The raspberries just give it that slight sweet tartness , I almost added splendor but it does not need it . I am surprised that you use cream so liberally , I only use it with caution and for treats only cos it is sooo calorific .

I do think that fats slow my weight loss down , problem is that I love them so . I am trying to eat with minimal added fats eg: to stop using mayo and vinaigrette , and to rely on naturally occuring fats or a bit of olive oil for flavouring or a bit of butter for frying .

I'd be interested to hear your opinion .

Rob
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-14-02, 07:21
Registered Member

Default Fats

Right now because I am on a "mission" I would not eat that much cream every day.
But as for the fats, I find they speed up my fat loss. I just changed my diet around drastically (lol, I say drastically) I just mean that I went through a looong period of no loss eating low carb with a higher carb intake (40-70 or so per day) and now am tracking everything that goes into my mouth and doing a lot of exercise.
I eat about..60-75% of my calories from fat on any given day, keep my calories about 12-14 times my bodyweight, and try to make a lot of calories come from fats like olive oil, flax oil, and fats in the meats I eat. Carbs -30.
You know what, now that I am thinking about my diet I *do* eat a lot of cream, about 1/4 cup every day in an iced coffee. I've cut out cheese/dairy but can't let go of the cream.
That high amount of fat sounds scary to people who think fat is bad, but I love it because my meals taste great and it is working (yay!)
I read up everything I could for a few months on the CKD, cyclical ketogentic diet.. there is a forum on this board, and decided that at this point it is the way to go.

Take care,
Meg

Last edited by Meg_S : Sun, Jul-14-02 at 07:35.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-14-02, 08:20

Talking

I seem to be eating the same as you .

I also love cream , the thicker the better but I think of it in a wicked kind of way . I feel real guilty when I eat it sweetened by the spoonful with strawberries .

I try to get my fats from olive oil ,flax oil daily as well as ground flax ,avocado and fats from meat .
I dont know really what to make of calories . If I have too many and I dont loose then I blame it on the calories . I have also found out that there is no virtue in being hungry ,cos hunger does not speed up weight loss .

From time to time I get really puzzled how this all works , at times it does and at times it doesnt . Even if the calories are low it still wil not guarantee a loss however with a low fat diet , you will loose if the calories are low but it does eventually all slow down .

My fat intake is around 70% on most days, I would find it difficult to eat less ,unless I am conscious of not eating oils and mayo etc.

Well thats my lot .

That pudding is truely heaven ! I love the way the chocolate mixture gets all thick and sticky . In Europe there is a type of cream called creme fraiche , it is just the business!! far nicer than whipping cream and is very easy to make if you'd like to try .

Take 1 pint whipping cream
add 2 tbl fresh buttermilk culture and stir well
cover and leave at room temperature till it gets thick ,about 24-48 hours .

you can eat it plain , slightly soured or add AS to make it into a special treat .

I agree that there must be something in CKD ,cos when ever I slow down , I have a carb binge and it sems to kick start the whole process.

Rob

Last edited by Rob : Sun, Jul-14-02 at 08:26.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-02, 08:17

Plan: my own??
Stats: 155/155/130 Female 5'7
BF:25/20/16
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up Great pudding recipie!!

HI Meg,

that chocolate puddding is to die for!! I do however try to limit dairy, it can be a stalling factor for me. BUt once in awhile a pudding treat is cool. I noticed your doing the CKD!! I bought both DUchaines and Mcdonalds book about CKD. I should be getting it in the mail by tomorrow. How do you like the CKD? and can u have cream on the induction days? i love to workout so i really think the CKD will be great for me. the CKD is suposed to be temporary right? You only use it for 12 weeks, or until u have shed alot of faat. BUt then what? After you have lost the weight to you go back to atkins style eating everyday? Or can u do the CKD longterm? thanks for your time, and congrats on all your efforts!!

Piera
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-02, 12:18
Registered Member

Default Re: Great pudding recipie!!

Quote:
Originally posted by GOTTAMOVE

.... I noticed your doing the CKD!! I bought both DUchaines and Mcdonalds book about CKD. I should be getting it in the mail by tomorrow. How do you like the CKD? and can u have cream on the induction days? i love to workout so i really think the CKD will be great for me. the CKD is suposed to be temporary right? You only use it for 12 weeks, or until u have shed alot of faat. BUt then what? After you have lost the weight to you go back to atkins style eating everyday? Or can u do the CKD longterm? thanks for your time, and congrats on all your efforts!!

Piera [/B]

I have not read the books.. just spent countless hours on the net reading CKD stuff.
I love the CKD! I love to work out as well, and love the energy/strength that the carb up provides for weight training.

I do eat cream on the low carb days, usually about 1/4 cup in an ice coffee, or a tbsp here and there in shakes or eggs.

CKD is supposed to be temporary, for 12 weeks or so.. I don't know anything about going longer.

Afterward, I personally am going to either use a mass building CKD that Trainer Dan mentioned in the CKD forums, or do a low carb woe (which I love and enjoy) incorperating more carbs (40-80 depending on the day and workouts) so that I can fuel my workouts. I actually expect to be eating that way for life.

I would go to the CKD and ask Trainer Dan about doing CKD long term, he has a lot of experience with it.

Good luck! Keep me informed on your CKD experience.
Meg
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 20:43

Plan: atkins low carb
Stats: 162/138/130
BF:25.24,15
Progress: 75%
Talking best pudding ever

This sound good. Can i get this protien powder at a GNC store.

Anything is possible with prayer. tina
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 06:18
Registered Member

I *know* you can get it at GNC, and you might be abe to find it cheaper at another vitamin/supplement store. It probably will not be at a "health food" store though.
It is expensive compared to other protein powders I think, but by far the best tasting. (according to my husband and me)

Or you can order it online ~ http://store.yahoo.com/vitaglo/index.html

The price at the website was the same as what you would pay at GNC, unless GNC is having a sale of you have their gold card. Shipping is free over $20 at the website.

Meg