Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Sep-06-21, 07:41

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I think I was a pioneer in the protein powder/yogurt thing 😊
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-21, 08:04

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Another excellent article written by Dr Ted Naiman,

How and why to eat more protein

And not to be missed at the end…a 50% off code for the instant download edition of The P:E Diet. It is well-formatted for an e-reader or reader app.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/high-pro...at-more-protein

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Sep-17-21 at 09:22.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-21, 07:58

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Another excellent article written by Dr Ted Naiman,

How and why to eat more protein

We know the medical advice to eat such low amounts of fat was wrong. But this also puts a steak in the heart (see what I did there?) of the constant claims of the vegans that "we don't need that much protein."

Not only that, I've found the source of that protein is important. Getting enough from vegetable sources usually adds in carbs. And personally, I've found I don't digest such foods very well, which means I get even less nutrients from them.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-21, 12:15

Challenges are everywhere now. The start of the new academic year for school and college, the crisp autumn weather for the northern hemisphere and the looming holidays, to say nothing of the pandemic pounds people may have gained…Diet Doctor is also onboard the challenge train. They are offering their Weight Loss for Good program again…this time with the option for a HighER Protein Diet. I tried the program when it was first introduced…the daily communication was very helpful, everything planned out for you if needed. Their program is 10 weeks, other challenges around are 30, 90 or 100 days, easy to switch it up or add time.

The P:E Diet download for $10 is still available (see post #17)

https://www.dietdoctor.com/sign-up-...ht-loss-journey
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-21, 20:19

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

This is a helpful thread to review what's going on with High(er) protein. Some time ago, I realized that too much fat (at my age) was probably providing the wrong kind of energy. I gave up heavy cream in my coffee--my favorite "lo-carb" treat--and that was a good move.

Now I've discovered low-fat Greek yogurt, and I'm working my way into other strategies for boosting protein while keeping carbs very low. I think this is helpful for getting back in a healthy nutritional groove.

Sticking with oils for cooking, mayo for salads and sauces, cheese, and whatever comes with the meat, I keep fat at a moderate level, and don't miss it.

I think I'm onto something! Thanks for the info.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-21, 09:09

I was so upset by my weight regain that I not only increased protein, but lowered fat in line with Ted Naiman's guidelines. You would be amazed how easy it is to get fat along with foods like salmon, eggs, lean beef, more than enough fat without adding any extra dietary fat all.

I made a long list of adjustments to VLC foods, but for those in your post…..0% Fage Total Greek yogurt, whey protein, Fairlife 0% milk for coffee, 2 whole eggs a day for nutrients plus another cup of egg whites, no Mayo (use whipped cottage cheese) no cheese in any recipe, only the occasional treat when entertaining, and switched to avocado and coconut oil sprays. I do use 2% cottage cheese because non-fat tasted awful and 2% is what is carried by Costco. This version of LC is still 30-40% fat, and like you, I do not miss the higher fat foods.

In a new interview with Dr Naiman, he talked about adjusting the fat and carb percent to your goals, but if he was forced to give one Macro advice, it would be 40% Protein, 30% fat and 30% net carbs.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-21, 09:22

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100

In a new interview with Dr Naiman, he talked about adjusting the fat and carb percent to your goals, but if he was forced to give one Macro advice, it would be 40% Protein, 30% fat and 30% net carbs.

According to Cronometer I am presently eating, since I started DDF, 43% protein, 43%fat, 14% carb. It is working like a charm. I am four pounds down in 10 days. Given that I started at around 65% fat and 5% carbs, this is quite a switch. I am learning that I can handle many more carbs than I originally thought, and perhaps many more carbs than when I started this journey all those years ago.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-21, 11:06

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote from Andreas Eenfeldt:
Quote:
"If you get the nutrients, then counting calories becomes irrelevant. If you get the nutrients you need, you don't want to eat too much."

This has become my mantra, and when I watched the recent interview with Kendall and Eenfeldt, it was this from the conversation that resonated so well. I can have higher carbs, or even during family gatherings eating with the group without going way off the grid (still no sweets ever), I'm fine, feel great, and can be more nutritionally flexible within my guidelines. It's a great thing . . .

ETA: Here's a very informative interview conducted by Bret Scher from DietDoctor with Professors Raubenheimer and Simpson who have conducted further research on Protein Leverage Principles. Note that the fundamental hypothesis stated "that animals, including humans, are hardwired to eat protein and will overeat calories to get enough protein, even to the point of poor metabolic outcomes like obesity and diabetes."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5uJJzUS_9o

Last edited by GRB5111 : Wed, Oct-20-21 at 12:01.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-21, 12:28

BF:

"If you get the nutrients, then counting calories becomes irrelevant. If you get the nutrients you need, you don't want to eat too much."

This may work for Eenfeldt but it still remains an illusive goal for me. Maybe DDF will do it but for now and for as long as I can remember the signal that I am full and should stop eating has not occurred, even when eating nutrient dense foods and prioritizing protein. I still must rely, to some extent, on portion control which means I practice some form of calorie restriction by restricting portion size. Otherwise I gain weight.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-21, 12:41

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal

This may work for Eenfeldt but it still remains an illusive goal for me. Maybe DDF will do it but for now and for as long as I can remember the signal that I am full and should stop eating has not occurred, even when eating nutrient dense foods and prioritizing protein. I still must rely, to some extent, on portion control which means I practice some form of calorie restriction by restricting portion size. Otherwise I gain weight.

I agree and experience the same with certain foods. If I were to open a can of fresh Hubs Peanuts, I would need to practice portion control, and frankly, I can't eat peanuts for that reason. I don't know when I'm full. It's the same for me with tree nuts and certain other foods. It goes to show that everyone is different in regards to metabolic response to foods consumed. It almost demands a certain amount of individual N=1 discovery for this reason. I'm fortunate that when consuming the correct amount of protein for me, I do have an active fullness signal. It took me a few years to fully regain it. Amazing how good nutrition is so highly individualized. People need to be aware of this to avoid the latest unfounded fads and to test those plausible approaches for themselves.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-21, 12:49

BF:

I have this fantasy of some day pushing my chair away from the table and saying "I couldn't eat another bite" even though my plate was still half full.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-21, 15:27

BF:

Oooo, yummies! Today I mixed a scoop (28g) of Gold Standard whey protein (Costco) with my non-fat Greek Yogurt. A few blueberries. Wow! Makes a creamy-gooey "pudding," and I loved it. Wonder if it freezes to make an ice cream-like substance? I'll try it and see.

I've also decided it's okay to buy the Catalina Crunch hi-protein cereal at Costco. It's expensive, but makes a satisfying (and very filling) addition to the Greek yogurt.

Over low-carb lifetime, I've pretty much abandoned food that comes in a package with a list of ingredients. However, protein powders, drinks (Protein Power--Costco again!), and this cereal add a protein punch that I like better than noshing on sliced turkey, eggs, leftover meatballs, etc. This is an n=1 in progress.

P. S. to Jean: The only time I ever had that "too full to eat another bite" over a half-finished meal was decades ago when my doc prescribed fen-phen. Fortunately, I didn't take it for very long--but it sure was an appetite suppressant. And I lost quite a few pounds in a short time. It probably had other effects as well--but the worst possible effect, come to find out, was heart failure.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Oct-21-21, 04:54

Barb, I loved Phen-Fen too! I stopped early because we were moving from Dallas to NC and all that entailed including finding new doctors, by the time re-settled, it was off the market. I found the records recently….Masochistic to keep old Weights! But with DDF and P:E diet I am below were I ended there.

If you whizz Frozen Berries into the yogurt, that is like Ice cream. See the Ted Naiman tips, he starts with Fairlife milk, but it’s even creamier with yogurt if your blender can handle it. I’ve not tried freezing after. His recipe with milk expands like some chemistry experiment gone wrong.

Recipe on Ted's FB page: https://www.facebook.com/BurnFatNot...002213233269817

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Oct-21-21 at 13:56.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Oct-21-21, 09:05

BF:

P. S. About protein shakes: the brand I buy at Costco is Premium Protein (not Protein Power as mentioned above). Compared to Atkins shake: same calories, 6g less fat, 15g MORE protein. Net carbs similar. A better choice for me.

I'm going to play with whey protein recipes.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Oct-21-21, 12:33

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:

Is anyone combining IF with High(er) Protein?