Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jul-14-02, 15:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/183/135
BF:n/a
Progress: 13%
Smile

Hi WOW one year as a non smoker. Good for you, I'm sure it feels good to be a non smoker. I signed up to this forum and been doing Dr. Atkins diet for a 4 weeks now and been on a stall. I think it all the sugar free gum and no sugar/ no fat jello and drinks. I going to cut those things out of my routine. I found that if I was craving a smoke and piece of gum was going in my mouth I'll have to change my habit. I took at look at the quitnet site. I roamed around there for abit. I was thinking may be this and that forum could help me with those habits I have. And continue with me being a non smoker.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jul-14-02, 20:12

Plan: My own
Stats: 166/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 73%

I'm glad you checked out Quitnet. I love that site!!! I am "sandybeach" over there. I know what you mean about the gum. I think I was chewing gum for about 8 months. After I stopped using Nicorette gum I switched to plain gum, then gradually lost interest in it. If you need to chew gum, chew gum. You can't do everything at once, I wouldn't worry about stalling. Your metabolism slows down from quitting smoking. But think how healthy your lungs are getting!!!!! That is so fantastic. And the fact you are doing Atkins too is double fantastic.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-02, 06:32
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 141/130/115
BF:28%/27%/25%
Progress: 42%

I quit smoking on July 1st with the aid of Nicoderm patches, 14 mg. I started Atkins on August 12, after a 10 lb weight gain. I was starting my first week of the last stage of the patch, 7 mgs. I used them for three days only as I found that once I started low carbing my cravings didn't seem as bad. I wonder if it has something to do with more even blood sugar levels. Anyway, I am still smoke free and have lost 12 lbs. Whenever I feel like "just one puff" (hubby smokes), I just remember how good it feels to run 2 or 3 miles every morning, something I couldn't do when I was smoking. Although my family thinks I'm going through some midlife crisis with all the drastic changes, and maybe I am, but I feel better than ever. I really do believe low carbing has a possitive effect on cravings for nicotine.

I didn't realize there was a forum for quitting smoking and carbing, just found it today. It's nice to know there is so much support.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-02, 09:18
Registered Member

Stats: 190/183/135
BF:n/a
Progress: 13%

Hi Welcome, it's nice to hear you have lost weight and quit smoking . I'm sure having a hard time losing weight I only lost 10 pounds. But I have been jumping off the wagon and then back on. During the summer months is really bad for me . All those BBQ/pot luck dinner. (this month was really awful) Will this Monday I'm back on doing Dr. Atkins again.
I joined the gym also. This Monday will be one month (measuring and weight in on Monday, I wonder if I lose any thing)
I did have people tell me after you quit smoking your metabolism slows down. So I quess I could say I have lost 10lbs instead of gaining like most people do.
Keep up the good up.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 08:54

Plan: adkins
Stats: 189/189/145
BF:
Progress:

EzasPie.... thanks for the info, it is very inserpational. I am trying to get the courage to quit smoking, but have just lost almost 40lbs ,and am very afraid. But the way you descibed your "route" makes sense, and I think I am going to get readdy to give it a try. Did you set a date for big day of non smoking??
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 16:16

BF:

Hi Spazz,
I think your fears are well justified!!! It is so scary to quit smoking!!!

I quit 14 months ago. I messed around with trying to quit for a couple of months before I actually quit. I was VERY frustrated because I had gained weight. My doctor suggested I take Wellbutrin or Zyban, and that should stop the weight gain. Well it worked for me. I also used the patch when I needed it, and the Nicorette gum, 2 mg., orange flavor if I was having really bad cravings. I didn't know you could use the patch AND Nicorette, but I found out you could on Quitnet.

I don't really think about smoking anymore, it is almost as if I had never smoked. If you look at Lilwannabe's journal, she quit about a month ago, and is STILL losing weight!!!

Sandy
Good luck!!!
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 19:16
Registered Member

Stats: 141/130/115
BF:28%/27%/25%
Progress: 42%

HI Spazz:

I did set a quit day of July 1st. I had days were I'd sneak a puff over the first four weeks. But it seemed that when I started on Atkins I didn't have the same craving for them. I decided to do induction and then get back to the gym and I have lost 12 lbs which is about what I gained in two months. Now I'm working on toning up and getting fit.

I think if you try to quit and you are on a low carb WOE you won't gain weight. You may stall as I have heard that when you quit smoking your metabolism changes. But even if you gain a little back, you can get more active because you'll be able to breathe better and then your workouts will be more productive. I gained 10 lbs and I didn't eat more when I quit but I was eating more sweet things because they tasted much better to me. If you are low carbing you likely don't have bad sugar cravings. Wow you've lost 40 lbs so I'd assume that you have very few sugar cravings. Give it a try it's a good feeling to feel in control of what you put in your body. You're already in control of your eating. Talk to your doctor about the different means of quitting. My doctor was very supportive. Good luck
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 17:17

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 150/130/120
BF:
Progress: 67%

I too quit smoking 6 weeks ago. Although I've put on maybe 7 or 8 pounds, I also starting running/jogging. To be truthful, it's almost become an obsession, but I feel great! However, can anyone tell me if they experienced a problem with acne a week or two after quitting, at my age it's quite a problem.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-02, 19:34

BF:

Hi Constance,
They're called quitzits! I never got em but I heard people talking about them on the quit smoking site I go to.
Sandy
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-02, 10:33
Registered Member

Stats: 226/226/189
BF:
Progress: 0%

I didn't quit I STOPPED for 5 years so far.

Fred
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 18:14

Stats: 237/230/160
BF:
Progress: 9%
Smile

Thought I was the only one that quit smoking and started Atkins. Have a good tip for your problem -- a straw! Cut to the size of a cigarette and puff away. I keep one in my car and a couple in the kitchen for after meals. It has really helped -- good luck.
Donna
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 08:45

Plan: schwarzbein/ hellers low carb
Stats: 150/142/119
BF:
Progress: 26%

fantastic sugesstion about the straw Donna Jo I'm going to give it a go !!1
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 08:49

Plan: adkins
Stats: 189/189/145
BF:
Progress:
Talking

That sounds like the healthiest option.... Thanks Donna Jo. I still have not attempted to quit smoking again, but I have maintained my 45 pound weight loss for nearly one year now, so that is just the next step in my lifestyle change.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 06:52

Stats: 237/230/160
BF:
Progress: 9%
Thumbs up

Congratulations on your weight loss, Spazz33. Was it all on Atkins? But since you checked out this forum, you must still be pretty interested in quitting smoking. I started diet/quit smoking last week simultaneously and crazy as it sounds, has thus far worked out pretty well. So busy concentrating on Atkins, I kind of forget about missing cigarettes. And drinking ALOT of water helps. Gets the toxins out of your system faster and lessens withdrawal. I know I won't lose as quickly due to metabolism slowdown, but at least I'm not gaining. Good luck.
Donna
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 07:38
Registered Member

Stats: 169/156/135
BF:40.5/36/25
Progress: 38%

Hi all,

Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents here - I quit smoking/started Atkins on Jan 2 (ah, those New Years resolutions!). Both have gone very well. I've lost 8 pounds (not a lot, but it's going in the right direction ) and have been totally smokefree. A few thoughts from my experience:

1 I think lo-carbing makes quitting smoking easier. No more carb highs followed by cravings. I really feel like everything has evened out.

2. I'm using a nicotine patch. Started out with 4 weeks on the medium level (2); following with 4 weeks on low (1). When I have had a strong urge to smoke - and this has happened only a few times - I'll chew a piece of nicotine gum. That takes care of it.

3. I've been reading about ongoing nicotine replacement therapy, and am remain open to the possibility that this may be a permanent way of life for me. There has been little to no research regarding this, but the medical community does agree that the health risks of smoking come from the smoke, not the nicotine. So - I may always have some gum in my purse, or a patch on my arm. But never again a cigarette in my mouth!!!

Good luck to all of you - nothing feels better than to take control of what you put into your body.

Pat