Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-19, 06:45

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default Kellogg sells sugar-y brands

I wasn't able to copy the article from today's news. But the gist is, Kellogg has discovered that people's eating habits have shifted. They are dumping some of their sugar-y brands like Ferrero (Nutella). Wonder what the next move is?

Since Kellogg was originally invented as a health food brand (a little crackpot, but never mind), maybe they see the handwriting on the menu?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-19, 06:54

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

A LITTLE crackpot? Nay. A LOT crackpot
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-19, 08:02

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Zoe Harcombe made a comment in her new "What the Fiber" talk, that compared to predecessors Slyvester Graham and Ellen White, John Kellogg was quite sane
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-19, 08:39

2017, they did not give up on Sugary cereals, in fact opened a Cereal Cafe in NYC!
https://money.cnn.com/2017/10/18/ne...real/index.html

And Jan 2019, debuted PEEPS cereal. As someone who always disliked Peeps (or anything marshmallow, where's the chocolate?) cannot think of a worse cereal. https://www.popsugar.com/food/Kello...Cereal-45683908

It would be great if they did cut back on the sugary cereals, but not holding my breath. Bloomberg took a different view of this management decision: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...for-1-3-billion

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Apr-03-19 at 03:10.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-19, 10:09

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Thanks, Janet. I see that I misread the article. They ditched the Elves, not the Nutella.

Cereal Restaurant? Okay. I guess people who pay four bucks for a cup of coffee won't flinch at $7.50 for a bowl of cereal--I mean, styled up with stuff, right?? I loved the chat with the restaurant manager. Talk about marketing strategy!

I'm not giving Kellogg much credit in any case. We pass through Battle Creek, Michigan, during our summer excursion north. Home of Kellogg's original "spa," I believe. Wonder if there's a museum? Compared to all that, our current food fashions and fads are mostly tame.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-19, 10:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Thanks, Janet. I see that I misread the article. They ditched the Elves, not the Nutella.

Cereal Restaurant? Okay. I guess people who pay four bucks for a cup of coffee won't flinch at $7.50 for a bowl of cereal--I mean, styled up with stuff, right?? I loved the chat with the restaurant manager. Talk about marketing strategy!

I'm not giving Kellogg much credit in any case. We pass through Battle Creek, Michigan, during our summer excursion north. Home of Kellogg's original "spa," I believe. Wonder if there's a museum? Compared to all that, our current food fashions and fads are mostly tame.

A few years ago, this book about the Kellogg Brothers was popular: https://www.npr.org/sections/thesal...rican-breakfast I enjoyed reading it, one of those easy read non-fiction books, but it focussed on the rivalry between the brothers and their families, not much on the cereal's purpose to eliminate "lustful thoughts" and the "solitary vice". The parts I remember about the Spa were the menus and colonic irrigation. Brenda Fettke's new talks on the involvement of the Seventh Day Adventists in Dietary Guidelines has more on dietary philosophy than this book.

No longer Kellogg factory tours, but a new regional museum is being developed. https://bcrhm.org

More on the Spa: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health...-wellness-titan
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-19, 10:48

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Understanding carb addiction, the marketing of Nutella under the guise of healthy breakfast spread was genius. As a recovered carb addict, I can't think of a more holy combination of hazelnut (hazelnuts are my favorite) cocoa spread. Have it on your healthy whole wheat bagel or homemade bread, sure! Fortunately, I never tried the stuff years ago when I was carb addicted. Hey, it has nuts and that's part of the name! It could have been very dangerous . . .
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-19, 02:02

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Why have Nutella spread when you can make a far more delicious experience by stirring raw organic cocoa powder into raw organic hazelnut butter?
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-19, 05:09

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

And miss out on cheap sugary convenience?
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-19, 06:20

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulo
Why have Nutella spread when you can make a far more delicious experience by stirring raw organic cocoa powder into raw organic hazelnut butter?

An excellent instance of how even “low carb substitutes” are better than the so-called real thing!