Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-18, 08:59

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
The reason I keep asking about "pain" is that I never have experienced it. I'm never "hungry" in the body but my mind, if I let it proliferate on thinking about food, starts a series physical responses (arousal) like salivating perhaps and more thoughts of food. I ask people what it's like to be hungry and I hear the word "empty" a lot like you just mentioned. That feeling, along with pain is foreign to me or I don't know how to put that verbal label on it.

So for me, eating is just something to "do" and it is very pleasurable. If I let my mind run away with thoughts of eating, I'll end up eating at any time. So for me (sorry this doesn't have to do with physical "pain" but really all "pain" is created in the mind) I recognize that I'm getting into a food loop and stop "feeding" the loop with more thoughts of food and it's pleasure. It takes practice but it works for me.

Perhaps having some water, soy milk or tab of butter is like rubbing your temples when you have a head ache. It does nothing physically but if you think it helps solve a headache, perhaps it does - like a habit, like Pavlov's dog.

Find what works for you and if it's not harmful to yourself or others, do it

I do find pleasure in eating food. I love to cook, so I make a yummy meal. ONCE A DAY , for now while doing OMAD phase.

Yesterday was easier. I was able to avoid eating extra fats to quell the hunger in the afternoon. This morning, the pain is back, not as strong, and not as long.

It is the stomach pain that brings the thoughts of food.

I remember years ago when at university, I ate dinner at 4:00, lots of carby foods, and was starving by evening. Without access to food, drank LOTS of water from the bubbler to quiet the pain. Visited that bubbler 8-10 times an evening and drank and drank and drank. Lost a lot of weight!! Not fun. Ruined my study time.

This morning I am holding out, only water.

Hoping as you don't have hunger pains that as I go keeper into ketosis, I too will not have these pains anymore, even these very mild ones will go!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-18, 09:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb712
What's wrong with your body telling you it would like a little extra water or fat? It's nothing to fear. I actually believe it's better to be able to read your body's signals. JMO.

Yes, I can definitely say I can distinguish between the many permutations of " hunger" ---learning to deal with each, well, that is the challenge. lol

Drinking water or eating fat, seems to get me to a drop in the scale, and eventually I use just the water as the pains become less and less intense.

Hoping to have the pains completely stop.

Noticed the strongest ones are in the late morning, in the hours before I get to eat again. I think it is because it has been about 20 hours since I last ate.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-18, 09:09

BF:

Testing, testing testing.

Not feeling the hunger pain now.

Watching Julia Child cook, trying to think about foods, dreaming of my favorite desserts.......nothing.

No hunger pains triggered.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-18, 09:20

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

My mother use to say that when she was young, to stay slim she would eat only once per day. I never remember her being fat, maybe a little chubby for a bit but not really fat so it must work.
When I was in my late teens and older I would go all day without eating....
Having kids exposes us to food all of the time. The shopping, carrying in, putting away, prepping, cooking, serving, force feeding LOL, cleaning etc..
I just told DH yesterday that most grocery shopping, I would go to three stores to buy everything we needed..
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-18, 09:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
My mother use to say that when she was young, to stay slim she would eat only once per day. I never remember her being fat, maybe a little chubby for a bit but not really fat so it must work.
When I was in my late teens and older I would go all day without eating....
Having kids exposes us to food all of the time. The shopping, carrying in, putting away, prepping, cooking, serving, force feeding LOL, cleaning etc..
I just told DH yesterday that most grocery shopping, I would go to three stores to buy everything we needed..

Yes, teens never seem to stop eating!!

Found a recipe thru Cooking Keto with Kristie I know the boys will like: sausage eggs, bacon, and some cream cheese and chedar cheese. My boys are thin by todays standards, but they do IF naturally. ANd long periods between meals without snacking. My oldest did have trouble with blood sugar levels as a kid and I had to fight school to give him a cheese stick. Sheesh. THese days he does better.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-18, 12:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/180/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
What is a "hunger pain"? Can you describe it?

I think she means hunger pangs.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-18, 12:19

BF:

Thank you. I googled 'hunger pangs'

Quote:

You've probably experienced gnawing, painful feelings in your stomach at some point, in the upper left side of your abdomen. These are commonly known as hunger pangs. Hunger pangs, or hunger pains, are caused by strong contractions of the stomach when it's empty.Oct 23, 2017
Hunger Pangs: Causes, Management, When to Seek Help, and More
https://www.healthline.com/health/hunger-pangs

"Symptoms of hunger pangs
Symptoms of hunger pangs typically include:

abdominal pain
a “gnawing” or “rumbling” sensation in your stomach
painful contractions in your stomach area
a feeling of “emptiness” in your stomach
Hunger pangs are often accompanied by symptoms of hunger, such as:

a desire to eat
a craving for specific foods
a tired or lightheaded feeling
irritability
Hunger pangs typically subside with eating, but they can subside even if you don’t eat. Your body is capable of adjusting to what it feels is necessary for stomach fullness. Over time, the contractions of your stomach will lessen. However, if you aren’t eating enough to get essential nutrients, it will be harder for your hunger pangs to go away. "

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Thu, Sep-20-18 at 12:28.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-18, 12:31

BF:

Read thru the article, some suggestions are not within my plans, so....

a smaller meal rather than larger at meal time
drink water at time of hunger pang
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-18, 13:49

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
"Symptoms of hunger pangs
Symptoms of hunger pangs typically include:

abdominal pain
a “gnawing” or “rumbling” sensation in your stomach
painful contractions in your stomach area
a feeling of “emptiness” in your stomach
Hunger pangs are often accompanied by symptoms of hunger, such as:

a desire to eat
a craving for specific foods
a tired or lightheaded feeling
irritability
Hunger pangs typically subside with eating, but they can subside even if you don’t eat. Your body is capable of adjusting to what it feels is necessary for stomach fullness. Over time, the contractions of your stomach will lessen. However, if you aren’t eating enough to get essential nutrients, it will be harder for your hunger pangs to go away. "

Wow, I'm glad I don't suffer from this! Maybe if the stomach is constantly full it doesn't like being empty. I guess mine doesn't mind emptiness or something - at least it doesn't complain with this type of discomfort.

Good luck!
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-18, 14:31

BF:

Thanks for your input THud ! I would not have found my answers with out your questions/ ideas.

I do think eating less might be the solution. Which will hasten my weight loss.

When my boys complain they are hungry, they really are hungry. I would like to think they have an appropriate relationship with "hungry". BUt I have a dream of them embracing more fats for their calories.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-18, 17:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hunger pangs come and go. I used to tell myself "Hunger is pleasure" to try to get myself to accept them. Hmmm... can't recall where I learned that. I get hunger pangs but I'd describe them as impulses more than pain. Just now I had a strong impulse to seek food, but it lessened quickly. I've had them all day. Annoying. I've got a new hobby (painting) that lets me ignore them a lot of times. :-)
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-18, 18:13

BF:

lol, definite the scale moves the right direction when I can ignore the hunger pangs. But only if they are the quiet ones. lol Full on rumbles cannot be ignored.

I like OMAD because I can eventually control these with a little fat initially, then as the days progress, it only takes water to shut them up. lol
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Sep-21-18, 07:52
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Ok, I think the impulses were from the brain because... "On noes! All hands on deck, she's losing weight! Mayday, mayday!" Stupid brain. I woke up a pound lighter today!
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Sep-21-18, 08:10

BF:

Another pound lighter today too.

Brain and GI is connected. Definitely. ANd all very complex. It is 10am again, and the rumblings are starting, stronger than yesterday but I will manage them as the reward is more pounds shed. Gotta get healthy.

Thanks goodness this way of eating works even if I cannot exercise the way I used to. THANK GOD!!! Im hoping that with good quality foods my body will heal more, and I can have my life back.

Watched a TV show in which the detailed discussion about the cells in our bodies are replaced , and maybe that will be how my body will heal. WIll hope for the best. Can the body heal more than science gives it credit? How to do it is a mystery. But I think about what is high quality food. How grass fed meats are different from the commercial meats. How free range chickens make a dark yolk so unlike the pale yolk of a commercial egg, and hints at what other nutrients are hidden. How pesticides hurt us; and herbicides; fly spray, cleaners. Stress. ANd it is all additive.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Sep-21-18, 08:36

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I used to tell myself the hunger pangs meant I was losing weight. Probably true. With a higher fat ratio keto, now it's more like I'm at an all you can eat buffet, but they run out of protein foods around 2 pm, after that it's heavy cream or creamed coconut. I find it takes less calories of heavy cream to satisfy than the coconut. This has been my approach to calorie counting for a while--I track on fitday or cronometer, I know from this that 2000 calories of these meals will leave me more satisfied, or even stuffed, than 2000 calories of those meals.

But I know there are people who say they can do the all you can eat buffet as long as it's all meat, or mostly protein, or... I guess it's easier to suggest never feeling hungry if you've found a way to do this, from where you are, and still get where you want to go.