Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-18, 02:26

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Leading British politician reverses Type 2 diabetes diagnosis by low carbing

Quote:
From The Guardian
London, UK
12 September, 2018

Tom Watson reveals he has Type 2 diabetes but has 'reversed' the disease

Labour’s deputy leader says cutting out sugar has enabled him to come off medication

Labour’s deputy leader has revealed that he was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes but has “reversed” the disease by adopting a radically different diet that has meant he has come off medication.

Tom Watson said he developed diabetes through being “overweight, deeply unfit, [and] addicted to sugar and fast foods”.

However, he has lost 44.5kg (7 stone) since being diagnosed in the summer of 2017 and improved his health so much that his diabetes is now in remission, he claims.

Watson has eliminated all junk food, processed food, starchy carbohydrates and refined sugar from his diet. He does not even eat bananas because they contain some sugar.

He will detail the dramatic turnaround in his health in a speech on Wednesday to the annual conference of ukactive, a physical activity group. In an article in Wednesday’s Daily Express Watson says: “I am very happy to reveal that my Type 2 diabetes has been reversed; it’s in remission. No longer having to take medicines for diabetes is a joy.

“To all Type 2 diabetics I say: ‘Yes, we can’. Yet the tragedy for many Type 2 diabetics is that they don’t even know their condition is reversible, let alone how to achieve it.”

He believes that official dietary advice over recent years, to minimise fat intake, is misguided and that a drastic reduction in sugar intake is the single most effective way to tackle Britain’s obesity epidemic.

Watson will use his speech to commit a Labour government to reversing within five years the sharp rise in diagnosed diabetes cases that means that more than 3.5m Britons have the disease. He is working with a new independent group of experts looking into what measures would be needed to do that.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...sed-the-disease

Quote:
Diabetes type 2 - Tom Watson ‘reversed’ high blood sugar condition with these diet swaps

https://www.express.co.uk/life-styl...-sugar-symptoms
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-18, 03:35

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'd heard about Mr Watson's weight loss before, and had mentioned it to my local member of parliament (also a Labour Party member) here in New Zealand, but the diabetes bit was new to me.

Maybe that's the key to achieving real policy change someday, get more fat/diabetic politicians to try LCHF?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-18, 04:31

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
He does not even eat bananas because they contain some sugar.

This is like saying butter contains "some" fat. It's not "not even" bananas, it's "especially not" foods like bananas.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-18, 11:58

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Re the graph in that article, interesting that Turkey has the highest rate of obesity in Europe. Wonder what accounts for that?

Turkey 32.1%
Malta 28.9%
UK 27.8%
Hungary 26.4%
Lithuania 26.3%
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-18, 12:40

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav
I'd heard about Mr Watson's weight loss before, and had mentioned it to my local member of parliament (also a Labour Party member) here in New Zealand, but the diabetes bit was new to me.

Maybe that's the key to achieving real policy change someday, get more fat/diabetic politicians to try LCHF?

My thought exactly!!! However, not many 'round' politicians here so this would be a slow process, but definitely progress in the right direction.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-18, 12:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
This is like saying butter contains "some" fat. It's not "not even" bananas, it's "especially not" foods like bananas.

ROFL

( baby steps)
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-18, 13:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx
Re the graph in that article, interesting that Turkey has the highest rate of obesity in Europe. Wonder what accounts for that?

Turkey 32.1%
Malta 28.9%
UK 27.8%
Hungary 26.4%
Lithuania 26.3%

It's probably the amount of sugary drinks they consume. There's a very high demand for bottled beverages in areas with improving wealth but poor water.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-13-18, 00:12

BF:

Quote:
Interview

Tom Watson: how I lost seven stone and reversed my type 2 diabetes

Labour’s deputy leader cut out sugar, took up exercise and radically transformed his health. He believes Britain’s food system is broken and NHS advice needs to change – and says his mission is to help other patients

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...betes-interview
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-13-18, 00:32

BF:

Quote:
Tom Watson says his Type 2 diabetes went into remission after following a strict diet Labour deputy leader said the party would roll out initiatives to combat diabetes across the country

Tom Watson has revealed that after losing 98lbs – seven stone – in less than 12 months, his Type 2 diabetes is in remission.

The Labour deputy leader has previously put the dramatic weight loss down to following the low-carb, high-fat Pioppi Diet. He also said he was no longer taking medication to treat his Type 2 diabetes, which causes blood sugar levels to become too high.

“Type 2 diabetes – a public health crisis costing our NHS £10bn a year – can not only be prevented but put into remission,” Mr Watson tweeted.

https://inews.co.uk/news/health/tom...iet-sugar-free/
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-13-18, 12:20

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx

Turkey 32.1%
Malta 28.9%
UK 27.8%
Hungary 26.4%
Lithuania 26.3%

Muslims abstain from alcohol,substitute sugary drinks, and there you have it.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-14-18, 00:31

BF:

Tom Watson shows the NHS how to tackle obesity

https://reaction.life/tom-watson-sh...tackle-obesity/
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-14-18, 00:35

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx

Turkey 32.1%
Malta 28.9%
UK 27.8%
Hungary 26.4%
Lithuania 26.3%
This may help to explain it:

Quote:
Obesity and being overweight is higher among women for several reasons. A majority of women do not have jobs outside of the home and lead more sedentary lifestyles as a result. Housework is often the only source of physical activity for women, as there is no prior tradition of women participating in sports. Individuals living in urban areas are more likely to be overweight or obese because of the availability of public transportation and the sedentary lifestyle. A lack of knowledge about diabetes and the health consequences also contribute to the high percentage of excessive weight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesi...nd_North_Africa

Quote:
Obesity in Turkish migrants

https://pulse.embs.org/january-2015...rkish-migrants/

Last edited by Demi : Fri, Sep-14-18 at 00:46.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-18, 07:00

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

tweet : My experience in losing 98lbs and putting type 2 diabetes in remission has given me a new mission to help others. Today I'm announcing Labour's commitment to halt the alarming rise in diabetes within one term of govt.

Tom Watson's video about Reversing Diabetes.
https://mobile.twitter.com/tom_wats...0327809/video/1
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-18, 08:23

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:

I hope politicization doesn't polarize people on this issue. One reason why I'm happy with the no politics rule on this forum, although like a lot of people here, sometimes I can't help myself and somebody has to remind me. This is too important to be just for people of this or that political persuasion, there's plenty of people on the forum with political views far from my own, in various different directions. who I'm quite fond of and glad have found a low carb approach that helps them.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-18, 11:23

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
Tom Watson shows the NHS how to tackle obesity

https://reaction.life/tom-watson-sh...tackle-obesity/

Im hoping this ball will start rolling faster now.....

Quote:

More pertinently, if not inadvertently, Watson is perhaps the first Labour politician to ever admit the nation’s health can be improved without the NHS having to spend more money. What Watson has shown, with his terrific discipline and self-motivation, is that changing lifestyle behaviour can be achieved without running up huge NHS bills, banning ‘two for one pizzas’ or introducing ’sugar taxes.’ He has said it himself by telling fellow sufferers in his numerous interviews, that they too can be cured of Type 2 diabetics by losing weight. As he puts it: “Yes, we can.”