Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-18, 23:53
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

In Canada you can get Kraft Peanut butter in a no suger/no salt version, comes in the blue container.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-18, 05:50

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

In the US, we are total con artist victims.
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-18, 07:57

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Very true. Lead by our noses, we are. About everything. So much for being well educated in this country.

PS. Glad to have this forum so I wont be led astray too often.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Fri, Aug-17-18 at 08:43.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-18, 08:36

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
There is no more peanut butter.

Oh, I found some in the "health food" section but every national peanut butter brand is now "peanut butter spread" and it's only 90% peanuts. Guess what the other 10% is. JUST GUESS.

Try Adam's - just peanuts & 1% or less salt. I get it at Walmart in the breakfast aisle. And recently found out I need to stock up on the crunchy - they've been carrying more of the creamy & have even run out of crunchy at times.

PS - it's in glass jars.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-18, 13:58

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

I too doubt that there is enough dextrose in Morton's table salt to matter. The dextrose is added to stabilize the potassium iodide which is added to help prevent iodine deficiency disease. We need iodine to produce thyroid. But, if you eat plenty of ocean-caught or ocean-farmed fish or shellfish, you probably aren't at any risk of developing iodine deficiency disease.

If you're concerned about the tiny amount of dextrose in your salt (0.04g dextrose/100 g salt), buy non-iodized salt. It should be available at your grocery store right next to the iodized salt. Non-iodized salt won't contain any dextrose.

All that said, I do agree that they're putting too much sugar into all sorts of foods that don't need it!
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-18, 14:07

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Fortunately we have a bulk section at our HEB where we can buy freshly ground peanut butter that is JUST peanuts and salt. However, I'll admit that I find that the "mouth feel" of this peanut butter too dry. So, I started using my stick blender to blend a stick of softened pure butter into my peanut butter. (4 oz butter to about 16 oz peanut butter). Definitely improves the mouth-feel without reducing the peanut-buttery flavor. And it increases the fat percentage while decreasing the carb and protein percentages.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-18, 19:14

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

The butter and peanut butter combo is on my to-do list!!

On the iodine, One of the videos by a chiropractor doctor mentioned that our breads used to be levened with an iodine based compound, pointing out our diets had far more iodine than today.
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-18, 21:11

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
Fortunately we have a bulk section at our HEB where we can buy freshly ground peanut butter that is JUST peanuts and salt. However, I'll admit that I find that the "mouth feel" of this peanut butter too dry. So, I started using my stick blender to blend a stick of softened pure butter into my peanut butter. (4 oz butter to about 16 oz peanut butter). Definitely improves the mouth-feel without reducing the peanut-buttery flavor. And it increases the fat percentage while decreasing the carb and protein percentages.

When I used to make peanut butter sandwiches, I always spread a layer of butter first, before I spread on peanut butter. This improves mouthfeel and keeps the sandwich from sticking to the roof of your mouth. Just blending in butter is a great 💡!
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Aug-18-18, 06:30

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnMyWay
When I used to make peanut butter sandwiches, I always spread a layer of butter first, before I spread on peanut butter. This improves mouthfeel and keeps the sandwich from sticking to the roof of your mouth. Just blending in butter is a great 💡!

When I was I kid growing up, "sticking to the roof of your mouth" was a REQUIREMENT of a good peanut butter bread! I refuse to say how many years ago that was!!

I hate reading these threads. Now I want a big hunk of PB.
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Sep-03-18, 10:55

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Werebear- was it Pacific chai concentrate? They make a sf version with splenda (i think). It is zero or one carb. It's delicious but hard to find. I'd try amazon, but beware- some people sell it for an obscene price!
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Sep-03-18, 15:09

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin120
Werebear- was it Pacific chai concentrate? They make a sf version with splenda (i think). It is zero or one carb. It's delicious but hard to find. I'd try amazon, but beware- some people sell it for an obscene price!

Might have been. Something to research when cold weather comes, which is still a bit of time away

I’ve been doing Dr Fung-inspired fasting, so I got a few flavors of St Dalfour’s green tea, and I am happy.
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-18, 10:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/180/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:

Theres pretty much sugar in everything. Its almost hard to avoid. I still use Hidden Valley Ranch and a few others that have some sugar in them, but its not enough that its inhibited my weight loss, so I dont worry too much about it.