Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone


Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-18, 06:38
Ms Arielle's Avatar
Ms Arielle Ms Arielle is online now
Senior Member
Posts: 8,627
 
Plan: atkins
Stats: 247/218/153 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 31%
Location: Massachusetts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulumae
The amounts of sugar in supermarket yoghurt are horrific. Even plain yoghurt usually has sugar in it. One can argue about how healthy yoghurt is anyway, but sugar certainly doesn't help.


Milk products have natural milk sugar so yes, there can be more than 1g carb listed in the sugar catagory, usually 11-16. The key is to look at the INGREDIENTS list to look for an added sugar. If NO added sugar, then the sugar content is natural milk sugar.

Only heard of ONE yogurt type product that has 4 carbs per serving.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-18, 09:49
Verbena Verbena is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 821
 
Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%
Location: SW PNW
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
I read that morton salt had sugar in it and I thought no way. Then I checked.



I have lived by large salt water bodies for most of life so never felt I needed the extra iodine in salt. For that reason I used to buy pickling salt, which is usually on the same shelf as the table salt at the market. It doesn't have (that is: it didn't have. Who knows now?) anything extra, so as not to cloud the pickles. Now I get RealSalt from Utah.
Reply With Quote
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-18, 13:04
ImOnMyWay's Avatar
ImOnMyWay ImOnMyWay is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 3,787
 
Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/148.6/135 Female 5'2"
BF:50.5/39/25
Progress: 68%
Location: Oregon, Los Angeles
Default

OP, try Oregon Chai Concentrate - Sugar Free . It's widely available - or you could order it on the web. DaVinci also makes a Chai SF concentrate that is shelf-stable. I like both of 'em.

Having trouble finding Heinz 1 carb ketchup in stores here, though. Might order it online.
Reply With Quote
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-18, 23:22
Meme#1's Avatar
Meme#1 Meme#1 is online now
Posts: 9,217
 
Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/183/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 54%
Location: Texas
Default

Do you have Safeway where you are. It's called Randall's where I am and they have the no sugar added catsup. They may be using other names in different areas.
Reply With Quote
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-18, 05:25
WereBear's Avatar
WereBear WereBear is offline
Posts: 10,519
 
Plan: Epi-Paleo/IF
Stats: 220/161/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 84%
Location: USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnMyWay
OP, try Oregon Chai Concentrate - Sugar Free . It's widely available - or you could order it on the web. DaVinci also makes a Chai SF concentrate that is shelf-stable. I like both of 'em.




Thanks! But avoiding sucralose, too. My taste buds have gotten very sugar sensitive, which is a good thing 😀

Just have to boil my own and keep it in the fridge. I will not go chai-less!
Reply With Quote
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-18, 17:14
s93uv3h's Avatar
s93uv3h s93uv3h is offline
 
Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 000/014.5/015 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I wouldn't hesitate to use that salt. We're talking a homeopathic dose of sugar, here. More calcium silicate than sugar.
Of course you're right.

Reply With Quote
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jul-22-18, 08:15
DancinGurl's Avatar
DancinGurl DancinGurl is online now
Registered Member
Posts: 75
 
Plan: Atkins/KETO/IF
Stats: 370/163/155 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 96%
Location: Central Texas
Default

Some brands of dill pickles have sugar in them. Savory items have to be scrutinized for sugar.
Reply With Quote
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-18, 07:43
WereBear's Avatar
WereBear WereBear is offline
Posts: 10,519
 
Plan: Epi-Paleo/IF
Stats: 220/161/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 84%
Location: USA
Default

It happened again in a stunning way.

DH is clamping down on his bread and carbs again (his chronic illness makes it tough for him, and we are saving up for some dental work he needs, too) and so when he asked for apples, I suggested peanut butter, since I knew that was a snack he used to enjoy.

There is no more peanut butter.

Oh, I found some in the "health food" section but every national peanut butter brand is now "peanut butter spread" and it's only 90% peanuts. Guess what the other 10% is. JUST GUESS.
Reply With Quote
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-18, 09:39
Verbena Verbena is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 821
 
Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%
Location: SW PNW
Default

I haven't bought peanut butter in years, but when I did I got mine at Trader Joe's. At the time they had no added sugar, but I don't know about now. My major objection was that it came in plastic jars, but I imagine they all do now. :-)
Reply With Quote
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-18, 11:14
Kristine's Avatar
Kristine Kristine is offline
Forum Moderator
Posts: 19,013
 
Plan: Primal
Stats: 171/155/155 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Oh, I found some in the "health food" section but every national peanut butter brand is now "peanut butter spread" and it's only 90% peanuts. Guess what the other 10% is. JUST GUESS.
I know I know! Hydrogenated oil.

Okay, that and sugar.

That's really sad. Here in Canada, I can find 100% peanuts PB at any grocery store, even the discount ones. They have their own generic brands, too, you're not just paying for Adam$.

*shakes head sadly*
Reply With Quote
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-18, 15:19
ImOnMyWay's Avatar
ImOnMyWay ImOnMyWay is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 3,787
 
Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/148.6/135 Female 5'2"
BF:50.5/39/25
Progress: 68%
Location: Oregon, Los Angeles
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
It happened again in a stunning way.

DH is clamping down on his bread and carbs again (his chronic illness makes it tough for him, and we are saving up for some dental work he needs, too) and so when he asked for apples, I suggested peanut butter, since I knew that was a snack he used to enjoy.

There is no more peanut butter.

Oh, I found some in the "health food" section but every national peanut butter brand is now "peanut butter spread" and it's only 90% peanuts. Guess what the other 10% is. JUST GUESS.


Try this brand. Nothing but peanuts & salt.

https://www.laurascudderspeanutbutt...t-butter/smooth
Reply With Quote
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-18, 15:34
JLx's Avatar
JLx JLx is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 2,089
 
Plan: Eat less, less often
Stats: 242.5/213/207 Female 66
BF:High wt, 276, 255
Progress: 83%
Location: Michigan U.P., USA
Default

Smuckers Natural doesn't have sugar unless it's the honey or the reduced fat one.

https://www.smuckers.com/products/peanut-butter

Last edited by JLx : Thu, Aug-09-18 at 15:34. Reason: added link
Reply With Quote
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-18, 12:23
WereBear's Avatar
WereBear WereBear is offline
Posts: 10,519
 
Plan: Epi-Paleo/IF
Stats: 220/161/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 84%
Location: USA
Default

I found one that has two ingedients, peanuts and salt, thanks all.

Just astonishing. Itís cheaper than real food AND an addictive sunstance. Thatís why.
Reply With Quote
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-18, 16:44
Ms Arielle's Avatar
Ms Arielle Ms Arielle is online now
Senior Member
Posts: 8,627
 
Plan: atkins
Stats: 247/218/153 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 31%
Location: Massachusetts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx
Smuckers Natural doesn't have sugar unless it's the honey or the reduced fat one.

https://www.smuckers.com/products/peanut-butter


This is the one we buy. Only peanuts and salt.
Reply With Quote
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-18, 19:34
GRB5111's Avatar
GRB5111 GRB5111 is offline
Posts: 2,383
 
Plan: Ketogenic (LCHFKD)
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%
Location: Herndon, VA
Default

TJ's sells peanut butter made with organic Valencia peanuts and sea salt or jars with no salt. This is what I eat when I indulge, but I have to strictly limit my indulgences and monitor quantity, as peanut butter is too easy for me to overeat.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 15:47.


Copyright © 2000-2018 Active Low-Carber Forums @ forum.lowcarber.org
Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.