Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-18, 04:13

Plan: Keto
Stats: 232.8/190/165 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Cool Keto

How many are doing Keto < 20 Carbs? I am working on a macro balance of 75% Fat, 20% Protein and 5% Carb. This is not easy, but BulletProof Coffee sure helps. My recipe for BulletProof is - Coffee about 13.5 oz. - 1 Tbs. Butter - 1 Tbs. MCT Oil - 2 Tbs. Heavy Whipping Cream - 1 Tbs. Cacao and add Stevia to your taste. I chill mine and it tastes like thin chocolate milk. I may step up to 3 Tbs. of the Cream. I was stuck for 2 weeks until I added this, and increased fat. Watch this great video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6aMN6NLOTQ

Last edited by Dazed1 : Mon, Jul-16-18 at 04:27.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-18, 07:59

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed1
How many are doing Keto < 20 Carbs? I am working on a macro balance of 75% Fat, 20% Protein and 5% Carb. This is not easy, but BulletProof Coffee sure helps. My recipe for BulletProof is - Coffee about 13.5 oz. - 1 Tbs. Butter - 1 Tbs. MCT Oil - 2 Tbs. Heavy Whipping Cream - 1 Tbs. Cacao and add Stevia to your taste. I chill mine and it tastes like thin chocolate milk. I may step up to 3 Tbs. of the Cream. I was stuck for 2 weeks until I added this, and increased fat. Watch this great video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6aMN6NLOTQ

This man is an honest testiment to how fat is the best source of energy, not sugars and starches....... whoot.

Glad YOU found a solution to help YOU.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-18, 18:49

BF:

I am a little surprised there is no interest in Keto here.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-18, 04:11

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 148/145/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 17%

I am trying to do keto, vlc, but can't get my protein so low, I need slightly higher protein than what keto recommends, e.g. I saw somewhere the highest is 6 ounces twice a day, which makes it 300 grams of meat, that is too little for me, I need at least 500 if not more to feel satisfied.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-18, 04:58

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
I am a little surprised there is no interest in Keto here.

Read back through threads in this General LC sub-forum, Atkins, Research, Diabetes and you will find many of the members here have been "Ketogenic" for years. Dr Westman, Bernstein and Dr Atkins Induction level are all "Ketogenic" diets, the latest marketing buzz word to sell coffee doesn’t change the biological fact that eating only 20g carbs a day (or less than 50g for insulin sensitive folks) and the normal amounts of protein and fat in Real Food, puts most people into "ketosis" and they then become "fat-adapted" for the long term.

http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2017/0...ng-ketones.html

If you want to lose weight, adding that much fat and oils to a drink or eating "fat bombs" is counter productive. https://www.facebook.com/AdaptYourL...9289428/?type=1

And basing a diet on percentage macros rather than your intake goals in grams is as well. https://blog.virtahealth.com/top-keto-mistakes/

I follow a simple diet without adding excess fat, counting macros or even carbs for 8 years, but whatever we call the diet or being fat-adapted, it is ketogenic. https://www.dietdoctor.com/se/wp-co...starch_diet.pdf

You can find tons of good information on how to follow a well formulated Ketogenic diet, look around the different sub-forums. You have been on this forum a while and know already it provides good support and answers. All the best,

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jul-21-18 at 08:30.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-18, 05:37

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 148/145/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Read back through threads in this General LC sub-forum, Atkins, Research, Diabetes and you will find many of the members here have been "Ketogenic" for years. Dr Westman, Bernstein and Dr Atkins Induction level are all "Ketogenic" diets, the latest marketing buzz word to sell coffee doesn’t change the biological fact that eating only 20g carbs a day and the normal amounts of protein and fat in Real Food, puts most people into "ketosis" and they then become "fat-adapted" for the long term.

http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2017/0...ng-ketones.html

If you want to lose weight, adding that much fat and oils to a drink or eating "fat bombs" is counter productive. https://www.facebook.com/AdaptYourL...9289428/?type=1

And basing a diet on percentage macros rather than your intake goals in grams is as well. https://blog.virtahealth.com/top-keto-mistakes/

I follow a simple diet without adding excess fat, counting macros or even carbs for 8 years, but whatever we call the diet or being fat-adapted, it is ketogenic. https://www.dietdoctor.com/se/wp-co...starch_diet.pdf

You can find tons of good information on how to follow a well formulated Ketogenic diet, look around the different sub-forums. You have been on this forum a while and know already it provides good support and answers. All the best,

Exactly, I only watch the carbs now - and perhaps quantity of food, watching macros and ensuring % and low protein drove me crazy.

BP coffee may taste nice, but I personally prefer to have some real solid food instead of consuming liquid calories, but if it works for others then great, use whatever is best for you.

Last edited by Middlemist : Sat, Jul-21-18 at 05:48.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-18, 07:21

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100

If you want to lose weight, adding that much fat and oils to a drink or eating "fat bombs" is counter productive.

I both agree and disagree with this statement. Fat bombs, heavy cream etc. on a standard Atkins sort of approach didn't help me with weight loss. Increasing fat didn't help.

Replacing calories with fat did. I dieted down to 154ish a number of times on higher protein, lower fat (not crazy low fat, around two-thirds fat, one-thirds protein as calories) and that just resulted in excess appetite, cravings, and binges. Experimenting with a 4:1 diet like they do for epilepsy, things settled right down and maintenance was easy.

I did drift away from that 4:1, it's pretty draconian, and my weight drifted up to around 164. Still better maintenance with just leaning towards a higher fat ratio and being careful with protein. It took several years to get back up to 164, most of that time my weight was closer to 160, ten pounds lower than my usual low carb rebound weight of 170. Tightening up again, which meant more controlling protein and carbs, I've had days where my weight is under 150, I don't think it's been there since I was in my teens, at least not while eating to appetite (once during a fast, but that was followed by lots of binge/craving). This eating about 2000 calories a day. I'm not necessarily eating more fat--I'm eating more butter and cream, but since I'm eating less meat, I'm getting less fat from that, I don't know exactly how much. I do know that at the same calories, I'd be more hungry with more protein, because I've done that experiment a zillion times.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-18, 08:27

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed1
How many are doing Keto < 20 Carbs?

Hi, Dazed1. Some of us eat a ketogenic diet, but not according to that particular standard.

There are other definitions and standards for ketogenic diets.

Here, The Charlie Foundation:

https://charliefoundation.org/learn-about-ketosis/

Here are the first two paragraphs from that page:

Getting started – what is the Ketogenic Diet?

The Ketogenic Diet, also referred to as the Ketosis Diet, or Keto for short, is a way of eating that mimics the effects of fasting. By consuming a diet rich in quality fats, adequate in protein, and low in net carbohydrates (total carbs minus fiber), the body’s metabolism begins to utilize fat as its main source of fuel, rather than carbs. This shift has profound effects on metabolism for both the sick and healthy alike. The diet shows promise for improving or reversing many neurological conditions and metabolic disorders. For the healthy, the diet represents a tool for preventing chronic disease, as well as optimizing cognition and body composition (i.e. fat loss).

What is Ketosis?

The term ketosis refers to a byproduct of the breakdown of fat into useable energy, called ketone bodies, or ketones for short. This fat can be derived directly from a diet (i.e. nutritional ketosis) or from fat stores of the body. Ketosis caused by diet is referred to as “nutritional ketosis”. Ketones are used directly by the body to power itself. This breakdown of fat into useful energy is similar to the process that dietary carbohydrates undergo in producing glucose to fuel the body. In other words, ketones are to fat what glucose is to carbohydrates. Ketosis is defined as having blood ketone levels > .5 millimolar/L.

-----

For reference, here is the first paper on the ketogenic diet:

THE THRESHOLD OF KETOGENESIS.
BY RUSSELL M. WILDER AND MALCOLM D. W1NTER.
(From the Divison of Medicine, the Mayo Clinic, Rochester.) (Received for publication, April 11, 1922.)

http://www.jbc.org/content/52/2/393.full.pdf

----

I am among those, here at this forum, who have been eating a ketogenic diet for many years. For some of us, that is now decades.

I do not eat fat bombs, nor do I eat chocolate, nor do I drink coffee. I do not add extra things to my diet. I have menu plans for grams of Protein, grams of Fat, and grams of CHO.

Many of us eat a ketogenic diet for specific health challenges, and have found that "fashionable" foods only sabotage those efforts to establish health. Chocolate and coffee, for example are known triggers for migraines and epileptic seizures, for some. Others eat very low carb because they have IBS or Crohn's and must avoid coffee, cocoa, chocolate, and various spices, nuts, etc. Yet others eat very low carb because of MS, or Parkinson's, or ALS, or Alzheimer's. Care of the nervous system, rebuilding the myelin sheath, healing intestinal permeability, reducing excitotoxicity in the brain, or healing a damaged liver are first, second, and third priority. For some of the people at this forum, the menus are a matter of living or dying.

Others have been eating a very low carb diet for so long, and have watched a lot of fads and enthusiasms come and go.

-----

A site search for this forum, using the search term "keto" is possible, using:

site:http://forum.lowcarber.org keto

Any related search term will bring up more results than most people will have time to read.
-----

Here is another excerpt from "The Charlie Foundation":

There are a variety of diets that will allow you to get into ketosis. The major differentiating factor between them all is the number of calories that come from protein, carbs and fat, which are what we call “macronutrients”, or nutrients in our food that have a caloric value. The three macronutrients differ in many ways, namely, their caloric values, as well as how the body uses them. Fat is the most calorically dense macronutrient, having 9 calories per gram, compared to 4 calories per gram for both carbs and protein. In a homeostatic state, the body utilizes fat and carbs for energy production, while it uses protein to rebuild the cells of the body. While this is generally the case, an overconsumption of protein can lead the body to break down the excess protein into glucose, resulting in the same end product as carbs.

Classic Ketogenic Diet
Modified Ketogenic Diet
MCT Oil Diet
Modified Atkins
Low Glycemic Index Diet (LGIT)
Intermittent Fasting

Best wishes to you.

Last edited by SilverEm : Sat, Jul-21-18 at 08:55.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-18, 09:14

Plan: Keto/Carnivore/Fasting
Stats: 190/143/144 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Hi Dazed!

...keto is more of a term than a plan. Keto = ketogenic, which is how many of us on this board eat. My plan is Atkins 72 and it’s “keto” or “ketogenic”. So people on this board are very interested in keto.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-18, 13:48

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:

If the definition of keto is keeping my carbs under 20g per day, then I honestly don't know if I'm doing that or not, as I don't measure my carbs that way. Instead, I try to limit the foods I eat to those with no more than 5g net carbs per 100g, with just a couple of exceptions. This allows me to continue to eat to satiety without fussing over whether or not I've hit some daily carb limit.

If, however, the definition of keto is any diet that results in the body producing enough ketones to induce a state of ketosis and lose a pile of weight relatively easily without ever going hungry... then yeah, I'm well into my third year on keto at this point.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-21-18, 23:49
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

If you're keeping your carbs under 50g by avoiding sugar and starch, and you're not intentionally avoiding fat, then you're probably in keto.

If you want to make sure then test for ketones.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-22-18, 12:33

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyHW
If you're keeping your carbs under 50g by avoiding sugar and starch, and you're not intentionally avoiding fat, then you're probably in keto.

If you want to make sure then test for ketones.

Also Keto refers to keeping the body in ketosis at all times. So one can be eating 35 grams of carb and still be in ketosis. I think they just picked 20 grams or less for a reference point.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-18, 08:43

BF:
Cool

I have been a little obsessed with achieving the macro balances prescribed, with little success since I started on that advise about 3 weeks ago. For the past 2 months I have averaged getting rid of 10 lbs., which is actually my goal. The Bulletproof Coffee has actually become a treat for me. In 2009 I got rid of 90 lbs. and in 2017 I got rid of 66 Lbs. just counting carbs. I am beginning to believe it is just better to count carbs.I want to get rid of 50-60 more pounds. Occam's Razor, I will revert back to only worrying about carbs and forget all the other hype. There is quite a Keto Diet industry that has risen, and they are all trying to sell a product. I am joining the YMCA today because I believe my metabolism is too low. Do any of you belong to the Caloric Restriction Society.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-18, 09:00

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I think there's a place for a more deeply ketogenic diet. Of course I do, I'm on one. But I also believe it's not necessary for everybody, lots of people do fine just restricting carbs and not worrying about ketogenic ratios otherwise.

I don't feed any money on a regular basis into the keto diet industry. Unless you count butter. I tend to think that the smaller the non-fat component of the diet gets, the more important it is that you're getting your protein from whole meat, egg or maybe cheese. A little whey protein on a high protein diet isn't a big deal, if your protein is restricted, there's real potential for crudification of the diet.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-18, 09:43

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

A few years ago, Amy Berger wrote one of her epic posts on how to determine if need to follow a medically theuraputic ketogenic diet:

http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2016/1...-diet-rant.html

Good decision on joining the Y, not that it will necessarily raise your metabolism, but because it provides "community support" to encourage healthy exercise for all ages.