Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-18, 12:27

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

My sister's lab--no amount of meat kept him from stealing a bunch of bananas if it was kept within reach. He'd be quite happy on meat and fat if those were the only options, but take him for a walk, and there's bread left out for birds or something, and he was all over it. I have no doubt he'd have stolen some peaches, given the option.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-18, 12:27

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/149.6/135 Female 5'2"
BF:50.5/39/?
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashta
Dogs are absolutely carnivores. Just because they tolerate veggies and will eat them doesn't mean they are omnivores. Really.

Vet Street

Dog Food Advisor

Respectfully, I disagree. Dogs are opportunistic. They hunt and kill prey, but they also scavenge plant matter. A hungry dog will rummage through garbage, eat windfall fruit (and tomatoes from Ms. Arielle's garden), etc. They are not obligate carnivores, like cats.

https://thesciencedog.wordpress.com...rnivores-right/

This is not to say that I think you should feed your dog grains; rather, that they can tolerate and enjoy a certain amount of fruits and veggies in addition to what should probably be a diet that is mostly meat and fat.

I did read the articles linked.

This seems to be a hotly debated topic in the scientific community.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-18, 13:25

Plan: atkins
Stats: 247/225/153 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 23%

As I move my family to a limited grain diet, I would like to move my dogs that direction to. I hae a breed that has little to no cancer and easily lives to 15, far longer than the rotties. My goal is to increase my vegie and fruit production to feed my family and my dogs.

Most commercial dog food is crap. The woman I bought my pointers from ( breeder and trainer) gave me a list of dog foods to buy.

I also think that what we know of as meat today is not the same meat as 100 years ago . The commercially produced meats tody lack the depth of nutritents found in wild caught meats. Vegies and fruits are necessary to make up the differenct in my no-so-humble opinion.

I have horses and none have Cushings. NONE lived a life of standing in a stall eating a high % of grain like I witnessed in big stables. One reason why I brought all my horses home: to walk and run freely, with lots of quality hay, and enough grains to make it thru the winters. Cushings is just another name for Diabetes.

I dont advocate feeding grains to many animals---seed eaters are actually more like birds----

We also didnt touch on GMO and pesticides---- I am wondering if cereal grains have more of these than vegetables and fruits. I can only ask as most of this information is hidden.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-18, 18:18
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

A friends Husky loved to eat cucumbers -- peeled of course
Mine will eat ripe wild persimmon fruits that fall from a tree, so will cattle.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-18, 19:23
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal
Stats: 171/155/155 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I can see both sides of this argument here.

Just because an animal will eat something, doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea... nor does it mean it's terribly detrimental. Just look at us. I could eat cake frosting out of a can and not die... it's neither a good idea nor will it kill me.

My understanding of the term "obligate carnivore" means you can't feed it a vegetarian/vegan diet. The animal needs meat. There'd be a lot more young dead pet cats if obligate carnivore meant "nothing but meat." Our 15-yr-old cat is in perfect health on a diet of canned grain-free food that contains sweet potato. A while back, this stupid cat ate a bowl of jalapeno Cheetos with no apparent ill effect, and she regularly finds potato chips that DH dropped on the carpet.

My prey-model raw fed GSD happened to really like avocado and coconut. I let him have some, but it was not a staple. We were on a walk one time, and before I could stop him, he found a 6" Subway sub that someone obviously inadvertently dropped, and he gobbled it down. Doesn't mean it's a good idea.

On my vegetable gardening forum, members in rural areas constantly complain about the rabbits, squirrels, groundhogs, chipmunks, birds and deer. I have yet to see anyone complain about wolves, coyotes or feral domestic dogs.

...unless they have chickens. (Hint: they're not going after the veggie garden.)

I can't find the site now, but when I researched raw feeding a dog's age ago (pardon the pun), I was satisfied with the research that demonstrated that wolves do not routinely eat the stomach contents of their prey, ie plant matter.

What I take home: feed your pets the best quality meaty/fatty foods that you can afford. PMR is best and is where I'll go if/when we get a dog. No grains. No veggies unless they happen to like them.
  #36   ^
Old Yesterday, 10:07
Registered Member

Plan: SB Delivery now Carnivore
Stats: 265/249/190 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

It causes HEART DISEASE according to the FDA. Told you so... It's safer and to feed them their natural diet - MEAT and only meat.

https://www.americanveterinarian.co...d-heart-disease
  #37   ^
Old Yesterday, 10:25

BF:

I'm all for not feeding potatoes to dogs. But do we take epidemiology at face value when it agrees with our positions? Or should I assume that a similar sort of evidence that links meat to all sorts of diseases means that my current diet is killing me? We have to agree to the same level of evidence we expect of others.
  #38   ^
Old Today, 07:22
Registered Member

Plan: SB Delivery now Carnivore
Stats: 265/249/190 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

There is no evidence that meat is harmful and it is also illogical. I've seen firsthand dogs and cats getting fat and dying early, just like humans, on human diets. Don't feed your pets garbage. Feed them meat like they're meant to eat.
  #39   ^
Old Today, 08:52

BF:

I'm just saying we should apply the same standards of evidence whether we're for it or whether we're agin in.
  #40   ^
Old Today, 09:21

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/160/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
A friends Husky loved to eat cucumbers -- peeled of course
Mine will eat ripe wild persimmon fruits that fall from a tree, so will cattle.

Years ago we had a cat that loved cantaloupe - he'd eat the seeds from the compost & throw them up later. I guess the cantaloupe didn't love him.
  #41   ^
Old Today, 13:50

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/149.6/135 Female 5'2"
BF:50.5/39/?
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashta
It causes HEART DISEASE according to the FDA. Told you so... It's safer and to feed them their natural diet - MEAT and only meat.

https://www.americanveterinarian.co...d-heart-disease

The article claims no such thing. Correlation ≠ causation. A sample size of four. An example of one dog acquiring the disease that was fed a raw (presumably, raw meat) diet. We can't tell if the diet fed the dogs caused the disease, whether it was a contributing factor, or whether the disease was caused by other factors. Not enough data here.