Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-18, 16:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/143/125 Female 63
BF:33.2/28.7%/24%
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
What low-carb books are you reading? What have you read and can recommend?

I'm currently almost done with Dr. David Perlmutter's Brain Maker: The Power of Gut Microbes to Heal and Protect Your Brain–for Life (2015).

I'm always on the look out for a good book to read. Since I don't watch t.v. programing, I have lots of time - lol.

I just ordered Dr. Michael Ruscio's Healthy Gut, Healthy You: The Personalized Plan to Transform Your Health from the Inside Out (2018).

Next up I have:

Keto Clarity: Your Definitive Guide to the Benefits of a Low-Carb, High-Fat Diet, Jimmy Moore, Eric C. Westman (2014)
The Longevity Diet, Valter Longo (2016)
Diabetes Epidemic & You, Joseph R. Kraft (2008)

Keto Clarity will be the first Ketogenic diet book I've read. All I know is once a while back I looked up Ketogenic diet and it said it was the same as Atkins Induction.

Presently I am reading this forum and so enjoying it very much. s93uv3h, I am trying to figure out what Keto is vs. Atlkins and how they differ. It's interesting that you had read Keto is same as Atkins Induction, as most of what I've seen, not read alot, is that Keto allows 50+ carbs. I guess I'll read Keto Clarity. Your post was awhile back - what is different? I'll keep researching but I'm following Atkins as I know it works for me - and it is once again, working for me.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-18, 18:58

Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution (2002) is my bible. It helped me lose 30 lb and keep it off. No other book has done that. The Atkins plan is so distorted by what we read on the Internet, what people think it is or want it to be. I get the feeling a lot of people "do Atkins" without ever having read his own words in his own book. I highly recommend it!
  #93   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-18, 23:46

I’ve read many Atkins books over & over. I find that as you are eating LC per Atkins you learn more from his books as you now have something to relate to.
  #94   ^
Old Thu, Sep-13-18, 04:54

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCer4Life
Presently I am reading this forum and so enjoying it very much. s93uv3h, I am trying to figure out what Keto is vs. Atlkins and how they differ. It's interesting that you had read Keto is same as Atkins Induction, as most of what I've seen, not read alot, is that Keto allows 50+ carbs. I guess I'll read Keto Clarity. Your post was awhile back - what is different? I'll keep researching but I'm following Atkins as I know it works for me - and it is once again, working for me.
Keto vs. Atkins. What is different? I think it depends on who you read / which book you read. I could not make it through Keto Clarity as the format is too hard to read for me. I did make it through The Ketogenic Bible: The Authoritative Guide to Ketosis, Jacob Wilson, Ryan Lowery (2017), and am well into The Ketogenic Diet: A Scientifically Proven Approach to Fast, Healthy Weight Loss, Kristen Mancinelli (2015). Ketogenic Bible barely mentions Atkins, and The Ketogenic Diet refers to Atkins a lot. Ketogenic Bible has a calorie counting section right at the start on getting started on keto. The Ketogenic Diet has you counting protein grams per your weight - I've never seen anyone explain how this is done. All are interesting books, and I take away many tidbits of info from each.
  #95   ^
Old Thu, Sep-13-18, 05:20

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Here's one comparison of Atkins vs Keto. But many members here write they are on Atkins, but stay at Induction level, which makes it "Ketogenic". Dr Westman's clinic version of Atkins does that too (which is what Dr Atkins used in his own clinic for patients obese or diabetic) Stay at 20 g total carbs until at goal weight, then see if some carbs can be added. https://www.foodsforbetterhealth.co...kins-diet-37140
  #96   ^
Old Thu, Sep-13-18, 06:33

Janet, that is what I did and am doing is to stay on 20g or less. Earlier when I did Atkins, I tried to increase after Induction, but I would gain, so I just stay on 20g or less and I lose slowly, but lose.
  #97   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-18, 06:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
...Dr Westman's clinic version of Atkins does that too (which is what Dr Atkins used in his own clinic for patients obese or diabetic)
Here's Dr. Westman's “No Sugar, No Starch” Diet pdf.

^ This is what was paraphrased in Gary Taubes' Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It (2010) - what I started March 30, 2018 before I even finished the book.

#98   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-18, 21:16

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
Here's Dr. Westman's “No Sugar, No Starch” Diet pdf.

^ This is what was paraphrased in Gary Taubes' Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It (2010) - what I started March 30, 2018 before I even finished the book.

Thanks for posting this. Worth printing out as a handout.
  #99   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-18, 03:57

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Thanks for posting this. Worth printing out as a handout.
Yes, it is. That is the exact version of the Clinic Diet that has been used for years, with the correct amounts of limited foods and all the other extra guidelines the Taubes/DietDoctor copy is missing. It is what I was given in Feb 2011 and is exactly what was in the Purple booklet that is no longer in print. There have been other versions on-line, and will be some newer plans in an upcoming book, but this is a good one to start.
  #100   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-18, 11:16

BF:

Ok Im blaming the OP for this!!! lol

Stopped at the library and pulled out all relevant books. Could barely get the high stack to check out.

WHEAT BELLY-- thought I knew it all from Atkins , nope. Kicking soda to the curb. done. ALL grains gone. Including oatmeal which my kids like. Cartilage is also glycated, and can never be repaired except by joint replacement. I thought glycation was just in the blood, it is NOT. It attaches to many proteins including the cartilage, heart muscle and artery muscle. Causes a stiffening.

Eating low carb is not enough-- using the A1c measure seems to be the best measure, if not a perfect test.
  #101   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-18, 10:28

BF:

And the C-reative protein-- forgot that one.

Read Wheat Belly-- Dr william Davis MD. Glycation is not just for the blood; it affects every organ in the body; celeiac is driven by glutin, and even some leaky gut causes antibody attacks.

Gluten free products are not a good substiution because other startches are substituted, and these strches are WORSE than wheat products for raising blood sugar.

He discusses the LDL and how that number is calculated and how wheat drives this.

Deep frying is the worst converter of oils into AGEs; AGEs are concentrated in foods like processed meats and aged products. ( AGEs come from diet as well as happen in our body with high blood sugars above 5.0)

Recommends hard cheese but limit the soft cheeses and milk because of the insulintropic effect.

Several recipes round out the whole picture to show living with out wheat is do-able. But no listing of carbs, fats, proteins for the recipes.

In my house we are tryig for a no wheat month, and no grains. It is difficult as wheat is at every turn.

A great read. I highly recommend it as my summary did not do it justice as he covers the science in detail and in easy to read language.
  #102   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-18, 11:29

BF:

Skimmed thru SUPER BRAIN, as that title was enough to look for tidbits for a super brain in the decades to come. Love Chopra MD and love his quiet presentations, and somewhere missed that Buddism is his base. To make this life a useful and beneficial one, he provides wondrous lists for comparision to verify accomplishment. A useful book in these tumultuous years, but nothing directing about food, nor low carb.

Tibetian Monks have amazing prefrontal lobe activity.

SUPER BRAIN by Deepak Chopra, MD and Rudolph E Tanzi, PhD
  #103   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-18, 13:51

BF:

The BLood Sugar Solution by Mark Hyman, MD. A good read. Definitely in line with Dr Atkins books, but better organized. Has many of the same nutritional fixes for comon problems and the dosings; A comprehensive test with a fix it section. Good afirmation of Dr AMens good work.

Plan to renew this one.
  #104   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-18, 05:15

BF:

Quote:
The BLood Sugar Solution by Mark Hyman, MD. A good read. Definitely in line with Dr Atkins books, but better organized. Has many of the same nutritional fixes for comon problems and the dosings; A comprehensive test with a fix it section. Good afirmation of Dr AMens good work.

Plan to renew this one.
Thanks - I just borrowed this and will pick it up soon.

#105   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-18, 05:52

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Skimmed thru SUPER BRAIN, as that title was enough to look for tidbits for a super brain in the decades to come. Love Chopra MD and love his quiet presentations, and somewhere missed that Buddism is his base. To make this life a useful and beneficial one, he provides wondrous lists for comparision to verify accomplishment. A useful book in these tumultuous years, but nothing directing about food, nor low carb.

Tibetian Monks have amazing prefrontal lobe activity.

SUPER BRAIN by Deepak Chopra, MD and Rudolph E Tanzi, PhD

Deepak Chopra is not a Buddhist even if he incorporates some Buddhist practices and influences into his work. His influences seem much more Hindu to me.