Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-18, 12:32

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Is it preferable to take D3 supplements coupled with any others?
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-18, 13:08

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
Is it preferable to take D3 supplements coupled with any others?

Of course, with any answer, it's always got a lot to do with you. Since research shows that vitamin D is essential for many functions, I always take it as a D3 supplement. If I've been outdoors in the sun, I may skip a dose of the D3, but usually take it every day in the winter. I also take a highly absorbed Magnesium Citrate and a high-quality Vitamin K2. This is just me, and the Magnesium eliminates muscle cramping during workouts. From this experience, I believe I need to stay consistent with magnesium supplementation. Vitamin K2 moves the calcium I get from my WOE to where it is most useful (bones) and keeps it away from where I don't want it (arteries). I eat a nutrient dense diet otherwise, so I don't use a multivitamin or take any other supplements. YMMV.
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-18, 13:49

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Rob, few people mention the K2. WHen I buy gouda cheese, my family goobles it up. Mg is one of the most deficient minerals in the diet---been looking for a non-oxide formulation. Would you recommend a brand name or source you buy from?
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-18, 13:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Of course, with any answer, it's always got a lot to do with you. Since research shows that vitamin D is essential for many functions, I always take it as a D3 supplement. If I've been outdoors in the sun, I may skip a dose of the D3, but usually take it every day in the winter. I also take a highly absorbed Magnesium Citrate and a high-quality Vitamin K2. This is just me, and the Magnesium eliminates muscle cramping during workouts. From this experience, I believe I need to stay consistent with magnesium supplementation. Vitamin K2 moves the calcium I get from my WOE to where it is most useful (bones) and keeps it away from where I don't want it (arteries). I eat a nutrient dense diet otherwise, so I don't use a multivitamin or take any other supplements. YMMV.
Thanks. I take Natural Calm magnesium daily (for now non-existent constipation) . I think I read an old thread where you used that too. What brand is a good vitamin K2 supplement?
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-18, 20:37

BF:

Just finished A Low Carbohydrate, Ketogenic Diet Manual: No Sugar, No Starch Diet, Dr. Eric C. Westman (2013) - 24 pages. The surprising part was my library got it from a interlibrary loan from Lake County Indiana (and I'm in Southern Nevada). Very similar to Atkins Induction.
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-18, 02:38

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

That is a surprise, it is only a little booklet that was designed as a patient handout for doctors who took his LC module at the Obesity Medicine Assoc. It was on print on demand and is out of Print now, but anyone can buy it in a Kindle version for $5. Worth making a copy of it before returning...that version is the exact same one I was given at the clinic early 2011. A section of it is also in the back of Why We Get Fat with some very minor limit amount changes.
It was purposely based on Atkins Induction as used in the Atkins clinic, the strictest version, because it would be the handout for the Clinical Trial he was doing to research the results of a VLC Atkins Diet.
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-18, 08:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
That is a surprise, it is only a little booklet that was designed as a patient handout for doctors who took his LC module at the Obesity Medicine Assoc. It was on print on demand and is out of Print now, but anyone can buy it in a Kindle version for $5. Worth making a copy of it before returning...that version is the exact same one I was given at the clinic early 2011. A section of it is also in the back of Why We Get Fat with some very minor limit amount changes.
It was purposely based on Atkins Induction as used in the Atkins clinic, the strictest version, because it would be the handout for the Clinical Trial he was doing to research the results of a VLC Atkins Diet.
Nice catch! I did not know the Why We Get Fat LC outline appendix was from Dr. Westman's manual! That is what got me started on this WOL / WOE, until I got my copy of DANDR 2002.

I did find this, which is the complete book: A Low Carbohydrate, Ketogenic Diet Manual: No Sugar, No Starch Diet.

#53   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-18, 09:29

Plan: LCHF/IF
Stats: 268.8/242.4/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 20%

This is also what I do. My doctor had prescribed 1000 IU of D2, but after reading Dr Davis' "Undoctored" I decided to substitute 5000 IU of D3, and take the magnesium & K2 also. I'll be curious to see my labs when I go back for my checkup.

Quote:
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-18, 11:00

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Rob, few people mention the K2. WHen I buy gouda cheese, my family goobles it up. Mg is one of the most deficient minerals in the diet---been looking for a non-oxide formulation. Would you recommend a brand name or source you buy from?

Quote:
Thanks. I take Natural Calm magnesium daily (for now non-existent constipation) . I think I read an old thread where you used that too. What brand is a good vitamin K2 supplement?

For K2, I use a brand by Sports Research that has natural MK-7 (from MenaQ7) with coconut oil and one liquid softgel provides 100 mcg. of K2. I've tried others, but this is the one I now prefer.

For magnesium, I take Doctor's Best High Absorption Magnesium Glycinate Lysinate, 100% Chelated with Albion Minerals, 1 tablet is 100mg. I take 2 in the morning and 2 around 8pm.

I believe these are good quality supplements.

For Calm, I use this if I'm in hot weather and/or working out and need a boost of electrolytes before and/or after. I will mix it in water with a small amount of salt and potassium chloride from Nu-Salt. It's great for hydrating. I don't use it everyday, but you can make your own electrolyte solution from these 3 ingredients that is better and much cheaper than the electrolyte solutions available online or in stores.
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-18, 11:07

BF:

Quote:
For K2, I use a brand by Sports Research that has natural MK-7 (from MenaQ7) with coconut oil and one liquid softgel provides 100 mcg. of K2. I've tried others, but this is the one I now prefer.

For magnesium, I take Doctor's Best High Absorption Magnesium Glycinate Lysinate, 100% Chelated with Albion Minerals, 1 tablet is 100mg. I take 2 in the morning and 2 around 8pm.

For Calm, I use this if I'm in hot weather and/or working out and need a boost of electrolytes before and/or after. I will mix it in water with a small amount of salt and potassium chloride from Nu-Salt. It's great for hydrating. I don't use it everyday, but you can make your own electrolyte solution from these 3 ingredients that is better and much cheaper than the electrolyte solutions available online or in stores.
Thanks!

#56   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-18, 12:47

Quote:
Nice catch! I did not know the Why We Get Fat LC outline appendix was from Dr. Westman's manual! That is what got me started on this WOL / WOE, until I got my copy of DANDR 2002.

I did find this, which is the complete book: A Low Carbohydrate, Ketogenic Diet Manual: No Sugar, No Starch Diet.

You're right, that is the complete and accurate Duke clinic handout, one he still used in 2016 when he spoke at that on-line lipedema summit. There are so many versions of the diet with foods in limited amounts, aka "page 4", with all or only parts of the instructions floating around the Internet, but you found the exact one
  #57   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-18, 14:00

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:

THank you.

Good to know on the electrolite mix. I wont let my boys drink the common sugar filled versions.
  #58   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-18, 17:58
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

So I can't remember which post it was that I read about the book recommendation for Eat Fat and Grow Slim (1960), but I found a PDF online of it today and I'm halfway through reading it now and I am *STUNNED*. This author (Richard Mackarness) was way ahead of his time. He had a near total understanding of how obesity really worked way back then, when everyone was falling for the low-fat dogma. Pretty amazing. I wonder if he was a big influence on Dr. Atkins, as he came quite a bit before Atkins.

He's also hilariously funny, referring to "Mr. Constant-Weight" for skinny people and "Mr. Fatten-Easily" for fat people.

There's also this beauty:

"Eskimos, when still on their home meats, are never corpulent - at least, I have seen none who were.
Eskimos in their native garments do give the impression of fat, round faces on fat, round bodies, but
the roundness of face is a racial peculiarity and the rest of the effect is produced by loose and puffy
garments. See them stripped, and one does not find the abdominal protuberances and folds which
are so in evidence on Coney Island beaches and so persuasive against nudism."

And the bottom line is so simple really: Avoid sugar and starch as much as you need to to lose weight. And don't be afraid of fat.
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-18, 06:21

Low Carb diets go back much further than Mackarness, starting with Jean Brilliant-Savarin in 1825, William Banting 1863 (can find his Letter on Corpulence as the first popular media diet book on-line). Gary Taubes has a good chapter in Why We Get Fat ... A Historical Digression on the Fattening Carbohydrate. I believe Dr. Atkins was most influenced by Dr. Alfred Pennington's study with Dupont executives/Cornell Labs. In his first book he attributes the basis of his diet to various studies on carb restriction...it was the common advice until the 1950s. He just popularized it with easy to follow rules, in a well-written book following up a Vogue magazine article. The history of Dr. Westman's clinical study based on Dr. Atkins is also in that chapter or the following one.
  #60   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-18, 13:43
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

Here's a few more gems from Eat Fat and Grow Slim:
  • "Obesity would then melt away and the world might return
    to the Garden of Eden before the serpent tempted Eve to eat carbohydrate-even the small amount in
    an apple."
  • "Ever since Cain, the agriculturalist, killed Abel, the hunter, it has seemed that a diet of fat and
    protein makes for mental and physical stability while vegetarianism, with its high-carbohydrate
    intake, encourages the opposite.
  • Hitler was a vegetarian and Davy Crockett was a meat eater."