Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-18, 16:48

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living looks like my next purchase (none of the libraries have it). Thank you.

I bought that one during a Kindle "special"...now it appears that they do not even offer Kindle at any price.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-18, 18:52

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
I bought that one during a Kindle "special"...now it appears that they do not even offer Kindle at any price.
I've found that kindle books don't show graphics / pics that well. As one example, I started reading Grain Brain and there were these postage stamp size thumbnail pics for graphs - and if you clicked them they didn't do anything. I finally borrowed the hardcover from the library and finished it. I just purchased it for my reference copy.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-18, 01:11

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Books I've read, in order. Some of these I've since handed on to people I know:

The Real Meal Revolution (2015) Tim Noakes, Sally-Ann Creed, Jonno Proudfoot. A pretty good intro to LCHF; I devoured the whole thing the weekend it arrived.

The New Atkins For a New You (2010) Eric Westman, Jeff Volek, Stephen Phinney. I was curious about Atkins after I saw how similar the "Banting" diet promoted in RMR was.

The Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Living (2011) Jeff Volek, Stephen Phinney. I ordered this online at the same time as the Atkins book, to save on shipping. My favourite LC book so far; to date, the only one I've read more than once.

What The Fat? (2015) Grant Schofield, Caryn Zinn, Craig Rodger. Basically a New Zealand-oriented version of RMR. Really easy to read, clearly targeted at consumers just starting out.

Why We Get Fat (2011) Gary Taubes. Ordered this on the recommendation of a fellow lowcarber, was not disappointed although by this time I didn't really need convincing anymore.

Good Calories, Bad Calories (2007) Gary Taubes. Basically a super detailed version of WWGF, or WWGF is a simpler version of this. Took me a long time to get through it, but worthwhile for some of the details.

What The Fast! (2018) Grant Schofield, Caryn Zinn, Craig Rodger. I just finished this last week after not having done much reading for a while. A nice consumer-grade intro to intermittent fasting.

Currently reading:

The Case Against Sugar (2016) Gary Taubes. This has been my background reading while I work through some other books at the same time. Still a fairly interesting history lesson in its own right, though.

Next on my list:

The Big Fat Surprise (2014) Nina Teicholz. Given my developing interest in LC advocacy, I should probably have read this one earlier. I do have it though, and will probably get stuck in soon, now that I've finished WTF.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-18, 03:13

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have bought many of the books listed in this thread at thrift shops and library book sales, over the years. Most of those for $1 or $2.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-18, 08:53

BF:

Awesome response everyone! I am looking these in goodreads as I type.

#21   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-18, 09:11

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Here are a few that haven't been listed that are excellent information sources:

Diabetes Unpacked - Various Authors
The Cholesterol Myths - Uffe Ravnskov, MD
The Fasting Cure - Upton Sinclair
Misguided Medicine - Colin Champ, MD
The World Turned Upside Down - Richard D. Feinman
Diabetes Epidemic & You - Joseph R. Kraft, MD, MS, FCAP
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-18, 11:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Here are a few that haven't been listed that are excellent information sources:

Diabetes Unpacked - Various Authors
The Cholesterol Myths - Uffe Ravnskov, MD
The Fasting Cure - Upton Sinclair
Misguided Medicine - Colin Champ, MD
The World Turned Upside Down - Richard D. Feinman
Diabetes Epidemic & You - Joseph R. Kraft, MD, MS, FCAP

Nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Also Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution
Just got my library copy - and this one bumps up to my next read. My wife has DMII and I need all of the ammunition I can get my hands on. I wish it were as easy as having her do what I do, but it's not. She has shown great improvement in her morning blood glucose reading - high 90s and mid to low 100s. Her next 3 month appointment is now scheduled for more than 3 weeks from now, and I will be there with her, and I have an extra copy of Good Calories, Bad Calories to give to her primary physician.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-18, 02:18

Quote:
and I have an extra copy of Good Calories, Bad Calories to give to her primary physician.

Ha! Read Gary Taubes intro to the shorter version, Why We Get Fat. The reason he wrote WWGF is that doctors (and the average person) don’t have the time or interest to wade through the science of GCBC. Many asked him to write an "airplane trip" length version. And add Diet guidelines...so Dr Westman's clinic Diet ended up in the back of the shorter WWGF. But GCBC is the one that started me on the LC path, good book, ..Worth a shot.

Quote:
I have bought many of the books listed in this thread at thrift shops and library book sales, over the years. Most of those for $1 or $2. __________________
Aunt Em Me too, I often read a book first from the library but then am able in a few years to find the print copy... and sometimes the Used Amazon prices are worth it if it is a book later decide really want to own. People shed themselves of Diet, Health and Cookbooks sooner than others

To discuss with a Diabetes Doctor, also consider sharing the new Virta paper, published in February in a peer reviewed journal:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=478789

And this one by a large group of doctors. Dietary carbohydrate restriction as the first approach in diabetes management: Critical review and evidence base
https://www.nutritionjrnl.com/artic...0332-3/fulltext

In addition to one of the the Duke Clinics using keto for diabetes, the Cleveland Clinic offers it as an option as well. https://health.clevelandclinic.org/...-with-diabetes/

And Rob's good suggestion of Diabetes Unpacked...that is written in short chapters by different doctors and nutrition researchers around the world. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=478136

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jun-07-18 at 04:30.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-18, 12:21

BF:

What is the best book to learn about the Paleo diet?
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-18, 12:25

BF:

Quote:
And Rob's good suggestion of Diabetes Unpacked...that is written in short chapters by different doctors and nutrition researchers around the world. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=478136
I may have to buy that one (library does not have it). Thank you.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-18, 13:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
What is the best book to learn about the Paleo diet?

There have been so many, but I still like the original Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson. It was on the same library display as GCBC, so the first Paleo book I read and maybe I'm sentimental.
Robb Wolf's The Paleo Solution, the original human dietalso good with more science; The Whole 30 another variation on the theme of eating ancestral foods. Neanderthin was one of the first, more books discussed in the Paleo sub-forum. http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=107

Diabetes Unpacked has more international authors, the only marketing I remember was the Kindle deal.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-18, 15:10

BF:

Quote:
There have been so many, but I still like the original Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson. It was on the same library display as GCBC, so the first Paleo book I read and maybe I'm sentimental.
Robb Wolf's The Paleo Solution, the original human dietalso good with more science;...
Library had those two in kindle and hardcover and I'm in line to borrow - thank you. There's apparently an update: The New Primal Blueprint - that's the one I'm signed up for.

#28   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-18, 15:34

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

"Neanderthin" by Ray Audette got me started on this journey nearly 2 decades ago. I suppose by today's standards it's pretty basic but it still informs what I eat. I guess I would call it the foundation of my eating plan.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-18, 16:19

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Anyone read KETO FOR CANCER???
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-18, 17:15

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Anyone read KETO FOR CANCER???

I have the book and I have read some of it. My granddaughter only recently completed nearly a year's worth of chemo and proton radiation treatment for Ewings sarcoma a kind of childhood bone cancer. I got the book in hopes of being able to influence her parents who were her caregivers but I soon realized that I was not going to be successful in that. Reading the book became too painful for me but Miriam Kalamian is a very credible source of information. So far so good as far as my granddaughter is concerned. There is no longer any sign of cancer in her body. Let's hope it remains that way. Now maybe I can read the book since my anxiety level is not so acute.