Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-18, 00:40
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 168/168/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress:

Thankyou so much all of you. I now feel able to continue after such a disappointment yesterday. Your comments really helped me to clarify what I am doing and gave me food for thought when I thought there was nowhere to go.
Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-18, 05:31

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Please be sure to post when you have hiccups and set backs. I assure you there is someone here with viable suggestions, people who have had the same experience AND found a solution. OF course with so many members, you will get more than one suggestion. lol

Happy progress!
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-18, 01:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167.3/162/125.6 Female 157cm
BF:
Progress: 13%

Thanks for the list updates Rpavich and Billy. Most helpful..
Sorry to intervene in your post leicester.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-18, 01:15
Registered Member

Stats: 167.3/162/125.6 Female 157cm
BF:
Progress: 13%

leicester, you and I are surely sisters. I'm a similar age and a similar height and I have similar loss problems. I don't eat red meat - only poultry and seafood - and i could be named Jack Sprat... So finding ourselves in a high fat diet, I am sure, is a result of desperation. My weight loss isn't great either - but I notice my stomach is smaller.If it wasn't for the cream in my coffee, I would give up. hehe! Today I found an app that records what I eat and the nutritional value. I can see you are across your values but if you're interested its called Easy Diet Diary. Download from iTunes. I've tried the Atkins carb counter and a couple mentioned on this site but I couldn't get my head around them. This one took me about 2 seconds and it seems to be country oriented. So I entered Australia and a lot of Australian foods jump up. I've used it today and I'm surprised at how easy it is. Anyway, any time you want to chat - as we are similar profiles, I'd love to chat with you.
Janet
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-18, 12:20

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Atkins limited heavy cream to 4 teaspoons (20 ml) per day and cheese to 100g not because of the carbs in them but because a lot of people have problems with dairy proteins - inflammation causing weight retention, stuffed up sinuses, headaches, etc. - that most people have lived with for years but thought were normal.

Cream & cheese used to be staples of my diet and after 2 years of resisting other peoples' suggestions, I tried 30 days without dairy and finally started losing weight. Reading up I found it was the dairy proteins - casein & whey - that are the problem; when digested in the stomach they release casomorphin which in certain people causes a strong or nearly addictive desire to eat more dairy products. I do occasionally have them when out, but no longer keep cream, cheese, cream cheese or yogurt in the house. Instead I use butter which is 99% fat, even in coffee & black tea. 1-1.5 teaspoons (5-8 ml) in a mug of coffee has the fat equivalent of 10-15 ml cream (I sometimes use coconut oil, but prefer butter). I have a mug of coffee w/butter first thing in the morning, brunch at 11am-1pm, whenever I get hungry for it and dinner at 5-7pm, whenever I get hungry. If I'm busy but hungry, I'll have a cup of coffee or black tea with butter, which allows me to hold on until the next meal. I no longer have to worry about cream going sour or paying the non-refundable enviro fee charged on every cream container where I live.

I also recommend IF especially since you aren't hungry at breakfast time. Have the coffee w/fat, but wait until you get hungry to eat your first meal. In the beginning, don't be too hard on yourself waiting for the clock to read 12:00:00. If you are really hungry at 11 - eat! Once you are comfortable with 2 meals a day, you may want to try going without cheese, such as 1 fish, 1 poultry or egg meal/day to see if that budges your weight. You'll need to increase the portion sizes slightly to keep your protein at your current, reasonable amount per day.

Last edited by deirdra : Wed, Jun-06-18 at 12:36.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-18, 23:35
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thankyou...all the information I'm getting is amazing. I've thought for a long time about the dairy element and I certainly don't feel the need to have more than I'm having, neither do I have any of the symptoms you have mentioned, in fact my hiatus hernia and reflux problems seemed to have stopped completely since I have been eating this way. I am, I think, able to digest dairy well. I am northern European and I am pretty certain I have the gene mutation that enables me to digest it with no problems.
However I will try the coffee suggestion as I have done one day without breakfast and did O.K. but even though I went to bed feeling satisfied I was awake at 4am RAVENOUS, which has not happened in the last 3 weeks of induction. I don't seem to be bloated in any way and my migraine headaches are much better. In fact I feel good and not craving or feeling deprived. It's a mystery alright but I will continue, hopefully on induction, until something happens ! ! Thanks again I appreciate it so much.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-18, 14:44

BF:

If you are light on the fats/oils , alittle more might be helpful.

I am on 1 meal a day right now, but use coconut oil when feeling a bit hungry, usually late morning. ( dinner is about 2pm)

Before using CO, butter was tastier and tolerable. THese day I can handle CO straight, or the very fishy cod liver oil.... the latter is yuuuucky yucky yucky, lol, but Im on a mission !
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-18, 20:45
Registered Member

Stats: 188/179/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

If we are not losing weight then there has to be an adjustment in the diet. I finally realized this. In my case, even foods OK'd by Atkins are fattening for me: cheese, cream, macadamia nuts, cottage cheese. The only way I can keep losing weight is to cut the portions and increase my activity level. Then I get into weight loss mode again. I also stay the same weight if I don't work out every day at least a few minutes. You can experiment by cutting down on your portions and drinking more water. This works for me anyway.
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-18, 04:24
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thankyou for your interest and help. I have discovered that I can't skip breakfast because I wake in the early hours of the morning ravenously hungry. I am going to try the extra oils or butter tomorrow. (A messy busy day today) I don't believe I have any other option but to continue as a calorie controlled diet with carbs included sees me constantly hungry and feeling awful. At least on this diet I feel quite well. I am well into ketosis so don't know why I am not losing anything. Thanks again.
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-18, 06:38

BF:

Be patient, I know how frustrating this is when weight loss is a high priority. Feeling great is what has seen me thru months of bouncing up and down 5 pounds. And the clarity of thinking that goes with this.

Im not an expert, but there are many ways to tweek eating for success. And the body continues to adapt as time progresses in keto.

Higher fat ideas--

mix more mayo into tuna fish
broiled bacon
steak with browned butter

also increase the fat slowly until you know how your body handles it.

Also do you eat apple cider vinegar??? A braggs type that is unpasturized is often helpful.

And a probiotic.
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-18, 11:30

Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

I am a older female as well . I didn,t lose well at first either. I did lose inchs on a measuring tape though. I learned that I lose weight in whooshs instead of weekly . So hang in there you probly have a whoosh on the way. We have a thread here that's called why the scale lies it would probly be a very enlightening thread for you
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-18, 17:22

BF:

Yes, the scale can lie....lol

I like to weigh every day and then average the week. No one number is important, and accounts for the normal bounces.

And I measure my left thigh-- at the mole.
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-18, 06:46

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicester
Thankyou for your interest and help. I have discovered that I can't skip breakfast because I wake in the early hours of the morning ravenously hungry. I am going to try the extra oils or butter tomorrow. (A messy busy day today) I don't believe I have any other option but to continue as a calorie controlled diet with carbs included sees me constantly hungry and feeling awful. At least on this diet I feel quite well. I am well into ketosis so don't know why I am not losing anything. Thanks again.

Key to switching over to a very low carb menu like Induction phase of Atkins is EAT when hungry Do not limit those calories at all. In fact, the more you put the 'dieting mentality' on your food menu choices you are actually working against yourself. You can not control what the body requires. We believe we can but we can not. Never, ever
Dr. Atkins said eat ALL the induction foods you want as necessary to control your appetite. Now, he also said that a 1500 kcal menu will lose faster than a 2500 kcal menu, BUT that is a true statement but never did he say to limit your food choices until your body finds it sweet spot. You eat as needed.

Cheese at breakfast if you wake up ravenous is useless. Eat the big old omelet at breakfast if you are starving. Your body is asking for real food.

Once you give your body what it requires when it asks you will settle into a real pattern of eating.

Our bodies are wrecked. It takes TIME to heal them from the inside out.

Key is you are feeling great. You are dropping some med troubles such as reflux by the wayside. ALL this is healing before the body puts its' mind to losing lbs. Fat on our body is a symptom. As is reflux. Low energy etc. As we change our menu we will start to fix troubles and you already see you are feeling better. The body will fix things as it needs to fix things and dropping the lbs. will come as the body wants to drop them.

In other words you hold this plan
It takes time. We all want it today, all the lbs off today but it truly doesn't work that way for all!!! One size does not fit all here when we change our menu. Our bodies are so different you can't expect what results another will get.

When I started Induction I was ravenous. I ate ALL the induction foods I was allowed on the list. It took time for the body to heal up. Others would lose SO fast and I thought what in the heck is wrong with me Not a darn thing, cause about 2 months into it I was on my way. Lbs starting dropping off fast....my appetite changed from ravenous to super content, I got more and more real differences such as from tired all the time to extreme energy and more.

You are ok and not hopeless in any way

Our hopelessness comes from no fast results. The results will come as long as you hold your plan They come as your wrecked body heals up and will give them to you!! Time is required for many of us to see these changes.

best of luck and hold strong!!!
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-18, 10:02

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

IF= intermittent fasting. I don’t eat breakfast until 10:30–11:00. Dinner was at 7 the night before, so that’s 15 hours between meals. Because I am fat-adapted, I don’t get hungry.

BTW, I will be 69 in a few weeks and I am 5’3. Probably shorter now. I have lost 20# this year. It is slow going. You just have to stick with it. Weight loss will come, and so will better health. Despite what the book jackets say, there is no miracle diet. It takes time, diligence, and determination.
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-18, 11:10
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Oh oh ! Thanks so much all of you, I am so grateful for all this insight. It makes a tremendous difference when you have your spirits lifted with all this support. I know I can keep going as I feel so much better than I did. I now need to shift into a mindset of patience and who knows, at my weigh in on Monday I might have made some progress. Thankyou so much for your help.