Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 04:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167.3/162/125.6 Female 157cm
BF:
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyHW
What on earth is wrong with cheese for breakfast? And everything on her menu looks pretty real to me.

What is wrong with cheese for breakfast? Really? leicester is not losing weight and is desperate for answers. Are you suggesting that eating cheese for breakfast is a good way to start the day for a person experiencing difficulty with loss on induction?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 04:06
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicester
Thanks all of you for your interest. I am 5ft 3 ins tall and aged 69. Never had these problems in my life. I have 2 stone to lose and I have to get it off as diabetes runs rampant through my family, although some are type 1 and the type 2's were not overweight.
Thanks for the suggestions to ring the changes. I very rarely eat anything but good proper food and never have.
Any other suggestions would be gratefully accepted. What is OMAD please.

OMAD = "One Meal a Day"

At your current weight according to your stats your BMI shows just under 30. I know they say that under 25 is the normal range, but honestly I think they should redefine the boundaries so that under 30 is the new normal rage.

I don't think you're that overweight.

That being said, even if you don't lose weight, I think Atkins will be very good for helping you to avoid type 2 diabetes.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 04:08
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 168/168/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress:

Oh please, your sentence doesn't really say anything. I am really needing help. I live in Europe and cheese is VERY common for breakfast
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 04:09
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Sorry this crossing posts things again, I was replying to CREMORNe
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 04:12
Registered Member

Stats: 167.3/162/125.6 Female 157cm
BF:
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicester
Oh please, your sentence doesn't really say anything. I am really needing help. I live in Europe and cheese is VERY common for breakfast

Not sure if you're responding to my post leicester and if you are then I'm sorry to have not been helpful. Not being from Europe I wasn't aware a square of cheese was considered a breakfast but there you go. Seems like you are across it and dont need advice so I will butt out.

Go well.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 04:22
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Oh no ! I don't want anyone to butt out, not at all. I am less hungry at breakfast so eat smaller amounts. I would rather have more later in the day. You have been helpful in suggesting some more variety for me.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 04:27

Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyHW
I've read the book and she's following Atkins induction pretty closely. Am I reading a different menu than you? Because I don't see where she's deviating from this list.

Im not going to argue about it, she asked, i responded.

Right off the bat i see cherry tomatoes and nuts, not on the induction list.

I see very little real meat and not a lot of fat.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 08:02

Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%

By the way, see this comment if you think things are hopeless.

You'll feel better.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...838&postcount=4
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 08:19
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

rpavitch, thankyou so much. I was about to purchase a new scales. (Last resort of the desperate)
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 09:38

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

I started Atkins' induction a little more than 2 months ago, and after the first 2 weeks on 20g of carbs, I didn't lose that much weight at all, and fell into the category of metabolic resistance. A couple weeks later I discovered intermittent fasting (IF), and found that in once sense, we all do it. All it is is the break between meals, especially the time from your last meal (dinner) to when you sleep and wake for your first meal (breakfast).

When you do IF, you create a break between meals and your insulin levels have a chance to drop, compared to eating 3 meals a day and snacking between them.

So IF can be many things - one I like is 16:8 (sometimes seen as 16/8) - you eat during the 8 hour window, then you fast 16 hours from your last meal until your next meal. Say you eat breakfast a 6am, lunch at 2pm (8 hour eating window - no snacking between (or after)), then you skip dinner and by 6am breakfast the next morning you just fasted 16 hours.

Another IF is OMAD (one meal a day). Eat one meal, and fast until your next. Depending on when that next meal is, you could fast for 24hours.

One thing I quickly found is that hunger was not an issue when I did IF. Your body keeps it's basal metabolic rate and if you were in ketosis from low carb, you keep burning fat, and you'll lose weight (and inches). I lost weight, and inches from my waist.

The beauty of it is you do IF when ever and however you like. If you start a 16:8 and decide you're going to have dinner anyway, no problem - continue it the next day - no big deal.

edit: most of what I've learned of IF has been through Dr. Jason Fung's books (The Complete Guide to Fasting, The Obesity Code, and The Diabetes Code) and his videos and IDM blog postings. Here is a good video to start. It's Megan Ramos, who works with Dr. Fung:

Megan Ramos - 'Practical Fasting: The Use of Therapeutic Fasting in a Clinical Setting' 6-2-2018

Last edited by s93uv3h : Mon, Jun-04-18 at 09:57.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 10:08

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
The beauty of it is you do IF when ever and however you like. If you start a 16:8 and decide you're going to have dinner anyway, no problem - continue it the next day - no big deal.

edit: most of what I've learned of IF has been through Dr. Jason Fung's books (The Complete Guide to Fasting, The Obesity Code, and The Diabetes Code) and his videos and IDM blog postings. Here is a good video to start. It's Megan Ramos, who works with Dr. Fung:

Megan Ramos - 'Practical Fasting: The Use of Therapeutic Fasting in a Clinical Setting' 6-2-2018

Your post provides sound advice on how to time meals (no snacks) and become adapted to do IF in a very conservative way at first. The key is meal timing and no snacking. You can slide into IF gradually and then lengthen the time between meals. Once you're fat adapted, cravings diminish and are not persistent. In certain cases, you may get cravings only because it is the time of day when you usually ate something, and your brain is reminding you of this. However, usually you can focus on other activities and forget about food. On busy days, I sometimes look at the clock and realize I forgot to eat lunch. Understanding what real hunger feels like returns as you work through this.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 10:54
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

This is all very interesting, thankyou. I am never very hungry in the morning, hence my choice of just 25 grams of cheese. I eat my dinner at 5.30 - 6 pm, so I could try skipping breakfast and eat my lunch at 12 midday, or if I am hungry try a morning coffee at about 10.30. This is definitely worth a try. Thanks again. I will do some reading.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 15:21
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Cheese stalls me.

"Cheese in the morning Gold, cheese at night Lead" -- Olde Brit saying.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 15:34
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Leicester. I could have sworn I replied in your other thread, but I guess I didn't. My initial thought was also toward meal timing. I know the Atkins books have recommendations for snacking, but I really think that if Dr Atkins were still around, he'd agree on IF, especially if one is having trouble losing weight.

I'd start out by waiting until you're truly hungry to eat in the morning, and when you are, have your coffee and meal together. Then, don't eat again until you're hungry again. That's assuming your schedule allows for this. It's worth a shot.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 19:38

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

ditto, though if i might add, not so hun gry rgar binging is a risk.

eliminate the snacks.

you are keto long enough to reduce the number of meals.

FF = fat fast. like eating cream cheeae.