Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-04-18, 11:24

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%
Default The Whole 30: Anyone Follow this WOE?

My daughter is following these guidelines from the book by Melissa Hartwig. At first glance, the eating recommendations look to be generally low carb and most strongly align with a Paleo approach with no dairy and including fruits. However, a couple recipes include potatoes, and that makes me recoil. She's dropping inches and doing very well, so I'm pleased with that aspect.

Has anyone followed this WOE with success?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-04-18, 15:27

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

I have not done Whole 30, but did South Beach - way more liberal than Whole 30 - with great success. I estimate I was eating 75-100 grams of carbs per day back then (2003-2005) but it was enough to (presumably) lower my insulin and allow me to lose weight easily (17.5 lbs in 3 months). It also gave me a foothold into low carb where I (re)discovered Atkins and other versions of LCHF (which allowed me to lose additional weight).

Whole 30 may not be as rigorous as how you eat, but it's a giant leap from the SAD diet. We do not see potatoes as particularly nutritious, but I don't think they are anti-nutritious like grains. I have no idea your daughter's weight or how much she seeks to lose but I doubt potatoes are going to spell doom for her. She's losing weight now - eating potatoes, presumably - why fix what ain't broke?

One other factor, and I'm trying to say this as gently as possible.... Girls/women have enough problems with body image without their fathers (who, face it, many girls adore) telling them how to eat. So she's not eating as perfectly as you? Do not let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Quietly enjoy your daughter taking responsibility for good nutrition and let her figure out what is best for her.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-04-18, 16:04

BF:

Thanks for the feedback, Liz. I can assure you, she's on her own and is very capable of managing this. My questions were for anyone who followed Whole 30, not to intervene in any way, shape, or form. Being a father for many years, I've learned my lessons well and provide support only when asked, whether its in the context of being a grandfather or father.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-06-18, 08:24

BF:

As to my original question: Has anyone followed the Whole30 plan? I'm interested in how it worked for you and your experiences.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-07-18, 08:51

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I like dairy too much to have tried it myself, but do recommend it if anyone is trying to reveal food sensitivities. The great thing about doing the Whole 30, especially early in the year, is the huge on-line community you will have for support. I laughed when read this recent article:

Quote:
The Unexpected Impact Whole30 Had On My Love Life

I know what you’re thinking: Stories about doing the Whole30 in January are about as groundbreaking as florals for spring.

And you’re right. These days, it’s impossible to scour the internet without coming across some iteration of an “I Tried Whole30 And Here’s What Happened” story. The restrictive eating program, which cuts out most of the foods and things you love, claims to reset your physical and psychological relationship with food over the course of 30 days. ....and then it continues about her Love Life!

You may not want to know about your DD's love life, but this story covers a new angle. Costco has both the newest book and a Whole 30 Journal, great to help her keep track of results or symptoms. She may note that her use of natural sugars or too many potatoes doesn't result in the weight loss she wants, or causes stomach distress. Like any paleo program the level of carbs is left to the individual, she can adjust the macros as she goes along.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...kushpmg00000009
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-08-18, 15:32

BF:

Hah, thanks for the information, Janet. If this WOE gives someone enough confidence to write about her love life, then it must be great!

My DD has the book, so I've looked through it, and my immediate reaction is that it's something that I would have done very well with when I was in my 20s. After further reading, I believe anyone can make this a healthy WOE, and to your point, make adjustments depending on whether there's a need to cut back on fruit or eliminate potatoes in recipes. When I first saw the inclusion of potatoes in some recipes, I expected to find them served cold to take advantage of the consumption of resistant starch. It's certainly aligned most closely with a Paleo approach, which is followed successfully by many. First time I've heard of it though, so I'm learning. The way the recipes are built, it looks like it would effectively control cravings and eliminate grains, lentils and dairy.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-18, 17:48

Plan: DDF
Stats: 220/137/155 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 128%

I did a Whole 30 last spring. It is a short term plan. Only 30 days, as the name suggests. It was fine, I suppose. I didn't have dramatic weight loss in my month - just one pound, so really just normal variance. It was interesting to come up with recipes and so on. Ultimately I found it too restrictive. I don't have a problem with dairy, for one. So cutting out dairy didn't really do anything. And then, they also restrict what kinds of recipes you can make. I.e. you can have eggs, coconut oil and bananas, but you can not mix them up and cook them into pancakes. I guess that must be helpful to some people but it was not particularly helpful to me. For me, restricting too much leads to feelings of deprivation, and that opens a whole can of worms. I guess I found out that I prefer low carb to Whole 30.

Oh, when I did mine, there was an in-group aspect to it that was enjoyable. My mom and my sister were doing one too. There's a little identity you take on. You say "I'm doing a Whole 30" and people say "oh what's that?", or they say "I did one too" and then you can talk about eggs and whatnot. There are message boards with FAQs and recipes and all that ( much like this here message board). So the learning and social parts were fun too, I thought.

I guess I would do one again, maybe, if I needed a change. But.. I have no immediate plans or interest for now.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-18-18, 12:17

BF:

Update: After 4 weeks, my daughter looks like a different person quickly dropping a few sizes. In the prep, the recommendation is to hide or throw away the scale, so no weighing, just tracking lost inches and changes in clothing sizes. After her visible progress, my son and DIL have started as well. I've been eating many of the recipes, as our home is now Whole30 compliant. Most of the recipes suit me very well, and enable me to maintain being more strict with carbs in a keto approach. As mentioned, it is a Paleo approach with no dairy, grains or lentils. I'm liking this, and I simply eliminate the fruits (mostly berries) and the occasional potato recipe. More of the recipes use cauliflower as a substitute. Very easy to do.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-19-18, 04:50

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Awesome, Rob! It sounds like it is working for your daughter, and that's what matters. Great that all of you can share the food, too.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-19-18, 05:02

That's great Rob. I have a number of Paleo recipe sites in my feed, and this month have seen many Whole 30 recipes, https://meljoulwan.com/category/recipes/whole30/ they are good and often work fine for low carb. One benefit beside so many recipes is the "large tribe" out there giving support...even the meal delivery services offer Whole 30.

Low carbers who try Whole 30 will often feel better but not lose much weight, but if coming from higher carb diets, the weight loss is a bonus too. Happy that it was so positive for your daughter.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-18, 04:29

Rob, thought of you and DD this morning...this in my LC recipe feed for both of you.

101 Best Keto Whole 30 Recipes.
Quote:
Whether you’re doing the Whole30, trying to clean up your keto diet, or attempting to do both at the same time, this fabulous collection of the 101 Best Keto Whole 30 Recipes will keep you in tasty and exciting new recipes for months to come!

https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/10...ole-30-recipes/

Melissa does good collections of recipes from less well known food bloggers.