Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-18, 07:59

Plan: Atkins Concept
Stats: 225/190/175 Male 70.5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Interesting, Blue Ruby,

So it seems a lot of what I am doing, except the heavy drinking of course!...is good to fight fatty liver.

I've had fatty liver since I was a teenager, long before I became an alcoholic, so when I'm told I have it now, I barely concern myself with it.

I've been taking milk thistle for some years now after seeing a doctor on TV news talk about how he saw remarkable results in liver repair with patients, including sclerotic alcoholics.

Since making some of Buttoni's recipes that require whey protein, I have since also been making protein shakes with it, I should maybe consume a little more. Also, I keep forgetting to drink my green tea every day. I remember, do it for a while, then drop off again.

With the Atkins approach, fiber is a big component and many of the products, especially for baking, use the super high fiber flours and meals, so, good news that's part of my diet as well...and makes for a well functioning "constitution"!

Several standards of these low carb diets eliminates the most likely cause of non-alcoholic fatty liver, like weight loss and elimination of refined carbs and sugars.

So, other than my drinking too much, I'm doing the right thing!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-18, 09:44

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meetow Kim
...So, other than my drinking too much, I'm doing the right thing!

Please don't take this the wrong way but I cracked up when I read this. Not sure if your serious or not about the statement but I was reminded of another funny quip that is similar in it's tenor..

"...other that that Mrs. Lincoln, How was the play?"

I wish you well. I understand that you enjoy drinking and want to continue. I did too and was able to continue for a long, long, long time. You are doing the right thing by minimizing the things you can that cause harm, there by saving more liver to deal with alcohol.

This coming from one who gets to read this every 6 months or so from looking at an ultrasound or MRI. Not meant to scare, just for your illumination and my "coming out" so to speak...

====

FINDINGS:

Comparison study: Abdominal MRI 6/2/2017

Liver: Cirrhotic configuration to the liver and particularly selective
T2 hyperintensity throughout the parenchyma consistent with cirrhosis.
No hepatic steatosis.

Lesion 1: There is a 9 mm subcapsular lesion in hepatic segment 7
which is isointense on arterial phase and portal venous phase images
and hypoenhancing relative to background parenchyma on 3 minute phase
images (series 13 image 24). The lesion is T1 and T2 isointense,
demonstrates no restricted diffusion signal, and is not associated
with a pseudocapsule. There is apparent intralesional iron which
favors benignity. Previously the mass measured 9 mm on 6/2/2017, and 7
mm on 2/21/2017. No evidence of venous invasion. OPTN/LIRADS class 3.

No new liver lesions. No suspicious arterial enhancement.
  #48   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-18, 00:48
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%
Thumbs down Your next drink could kill you?

Studies, especially data mined statistical ones we see almost daily involving diet are mostly a lot of rubbish. This commentary is about the recent headline "No amount of alcohol is safe!" from "The lancet", the most political 'public health' journal, sounds to me like the scary "Red meat causes cancer" run, don't walk away from the table

http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/

Last edited by mike_d : Wed, Sep-05-18 at 01:02.
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-18, 06:23

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Not sure if it's the alcohol or not but Chuck kinda looks like I used to look, until I got even bigger to over 370lbs. I don't think any amount of alcohol has a physical benefit to health but I do think that - if used in moderation - it has a psychological and social effect that my benefit health in other ways not related to metabolism.

Drink Up if you can! Eat sugar if you can! I'm your champion for freedom of choice! Experiment. Be informed.

From Chuck Cowdery's blog mentioned above. I see my old belly and butt on him (before I got to 370). Alcohol related? who knows and it's none of my business really, but I'm a hypocrite at heart

Last edited by thud123 : Wed, Sep-05-18 at 06:29.
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-18, 14:13
Grease is the word!

We make some alcohol via bacteria in our guts, and acetic acid from alcohols broken down by the liver is a necessary nutrient and percursor to Acetyl-CoA.
Quote:
The treatment for auto-brewery syndrome is a change in diet requiring low carbohydrates and high protein. Sugar is fermented into alcohol, and a diet that effectively lowers sugars also lowers the alcohol that can be fermented from it. Anything that causes an imbalance between the beneficial and harmful bacteria in the gut can help increase the chance that fermentation in the gut will develop. This can include not only antibiotics, but also overindulgence in sugars and carbohydrates. Watching what you eat could lower the risk of gut fermentation syndrome, and taking probiotics could further protect you by increasing the number of good bacteria in your system. ADH enzyme catalyzes the oxidation of ethanol to acetaldehyde:

CH3CH2OH + NAD+ → CH3CHO + NADH + H+

This allows the consumption of alcoholic beverages, but its evolutionary purpose is probably the breakdown of alcohols naturally contained in foods or produced by bacteria in the digestive tract.--Wiki
So if you're going to drink on low-carb, then clear liquors like Vodka are the safest in moderation of course. All Vodka starts out as NGS or medical grade alcohol. A commodity made/traded mainly in the Midwest where there is an abundance of grains like corn, rye, potatoes and wheat.
Distillers then try to further purify it to get out any remaining entraining agents like benzine or heptane. They usually filter it thru carbon like we do our hard Texas water in a Britta type filter. Care taken here determines the quality -- but not necessarily the price.

A lot of the "My vodka is better than your vodka" hype is just marketing, like Goose (you pay for the bottle) or Tito's (good, but no longer handmade) and hyping up the number of distillations used to 10 when 2-3 is plenty.

AnestasiA Vodka™ is likely the best out there and ZYR among the worst IMO, but new craft distilleries open almost daily

Last edited by mike_d : Wed, Sep-05-18 at 14:53.
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-18, 14:52

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:

Amazing how readily we all pay for perception depending on the product . . .
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-18, 16:26

Plan: my own LC
Stats: 179/141/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 112%

Meetow, I haven't read this entire thread so forgive me if I am repeating a suggestion. When blood tests indicated I was getting a fatty liver I was told to try vitamin E. My liver tests are now normal. Whether it is because of the vit E or other dietary changes, I don't know.
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-18, 15:13
Grease is the word!

Kinda puts a different twist on the "Grain Brain" concept -- "this is your brain on grain"
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-18, 11:43

BF:

Thanks Thud,

I DO have a tendency to be tongue and cheek. I'm not here for support like so many others, I'm here primarily for recipes and discussions like this, mostly on the lighter side of things. I know life is serious, thats why I try not to take it serious until I have to. I've had to be serious, I prefer when I can be humorous and take my mind off the serious whenever I have that luxury that so many do not have.

There is no doubt my drinking is killing me in some manner...in all seriousness, and alcoholism is not good. Unfortunately for me the booze doesn't come with serous social problems, belligerency, DUI's, violence, etc.. I say unfortunately because those are usually the things that wakes people up and gets them to beginning "recovery"

If I read your results right, it looks like your situation is improving...thats great!

I saw myself heading in the "Chuck" direction (mentioned above), I'm thankful I caught it at 225lbs and about 5'10-1/2". I'm stalled at around 188 now, and feel much better for the lighter weight. I definitely want to keep it off. My wife's weight loss has been amazing too...downside is she needs all new wardrobe! Hey, sometimes the negatives are an indicator of the positives right?

chicachyna,

Thanks, Vitamin E is a supplement I do take, also Milk Thistle is liver restorative, I've take that since I found out. I also take in some whey protein which is also believed to be liver restorative (cant remember if I wrote that earlier or if I did, if you read it)

I wont know my numbers until annual checkup end of the year. I may move that up a bit (something I can do since I cant afford health insurance and pay cash for the doctor and labs). I'm interested to see. But I know if I tested right now my liver numbers would be bad, I'm just drinking way too much in the last few months. I like to dry out a while before labs so I can see the liver in a less stressed state. Every time I have abstained, my numbers fall right back in to the acceptable range, which means the liver is functioning reasonably well.

Mike and GRB,

Definitely preferred vodkas are not only personal taste but psychological. Bourbon is the same. I'd have to go find it, but there was an article I read where they did a blind taste test on bourbons, and so-called experts actually picked some less expensive "lowers shelf" bourbons over the boasted brands.

Many will never believe this, and somewhat off topic, but J Kenji Lopez-Alt the "Food Lab" author even debunks the belief that fresh off the farm country eggs taste better than supermarket eggs. He had to do a blind taste test by scrambling the eggs with flavorless green dye so the tasters could not make out the rich color of the farm fresh eggs. Once the appearance of the eggs was removed, the tasters could not identify which eggs were which on taste alone.
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-18, 20:30
Grease is the word!

Quote:
Mike and GRB,

Definitely preferred vodkas are not only personal taste but psychological. Bourbon is the same. I'd have to go find it, but there was an article I read where they did a blind taste test on bourbons, and so-called experts actually picked some less expensive "lowers shelf" bourbons over the boasted brands.

Many will never believe this, and somewhat off topic, but J Kenji Lopez-Alt the "Food Lab" author even debunks the belief that fresh off the farm country eggs taste better than supermarket eggs. He had to do a blind taste test by scrambling the eggs with flavorless green dye so the tasters could not make out the rich color of the farm fresh eggs. Once the appearance of the eggs was removed, the tasters could not identify which eggs were which on taste alone.
I recently read some similar studies for both vodka and eggs. I think I could tell "Vital Farms" eggs or butter from any other, even local yard eggs that have a thinner shell and cost more. Scrambling might make it harder to tell though, since most of the flavor is in the yolks.
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-18, 07:43

BF:

I used to go out of my way to buy locally raised chicken eggs from neighbors. One situation helped out an old couple who only had social security and the eggs were their only extra income.

It was the visual J Kenji Lopez-Alt had to take out of the taste tests. The color of the yolk is partially what made people "taste" the country eggs differently. If they saw the eggs in their shell or handled them, like cracking for cooking, etc. that would be a giveaway too. We do eat with our eyes and brains as much as taste buds.

I wish I had a source for local liquor from neighbors! When I have found it, the price is usually pretty steep and the taste was no better than proper store bought liquor in many cases.

I want to make my own "culinary" batches of liquor someday, just a bucket list item to drink my own liquor at some point.
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-18, 10:11

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:

Yes, artisan made with care perception is everything in the small batch liquor market, except that it isn't usually small batch, and it's certainly not made with the personal care one might envision:
https://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/...s-lawrenceburg/

We tend to fall for this type of advertising with many products, but liquor has cornered the market on creativity in making a "special" brand one likes to call one's own.
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-18, 11:20
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:

They did this on Mythbusters once, though it wasn't very scientific.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO077nu2m5E
  #59   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-18, 15:56
Grease is the word!

Distilling is hard. I believe it's better to find what you like and buy it. It's safer too. Keep in mind even commercial batches of spirits like vodka can vary.
  #60   ^
Old Thu, Oct-04-18, 10:45

BF:

I have a brother in law who is a beer brewer, and will be a good resource for mash. I told him if he makes the mash, I'll make the metal.

And being as though I am a metal fabricator by trade, I think the apparatus will be of decent quality . First runs are somewhere in the range of 70 proof from what I've read, not very explosive. I dont think I would try thumping or re-distilling. Very small batch for "culinary purposes" of course...

It's really only for fun. I drink WAAAYYY too much to make my own hooch for my supply, and I doubt anything I did will be as good as what I can buy.