Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-18, 08:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237/215/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meetow Kim
Vacation is never a good time to be on induction...or ANY form of dieting

Have fun and best of luck BobbieLee

Trouble is this is not "induction". That happened in May, but I have found that if I add any more carbs I quit loosing weight. I loose weight keeping it around 5 carbs a day.....It seems for my body this is where I need to keep it. 2 beers and I'm done!!!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-18, 15:05

Plan: Atkins Concept
Stats: 225/190/175 Male 70.5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Wow...5 carbs? That's ultra low...I think a days worth of air and water has that much!

I was wrong in thinking Atkins recommends no more than a couple months on induction, they say up to 6 months. But 5 grams is way lower than induction for Atkins 20 which is keeping between 18 and 22 grams a day.

Makes me wonder if there is a "too low" point for carbs since Atkins says keep it above 17. I certainly kept mine below 17 for many days of my induction.

I'm sure you know you can read the FAQs on the Atkins site about this. If your blood numbers are good, and you feel OK, it's probably OK.

We all have to find what works for us. I feel lucky to not have to be that extreme on the carbs. I'm even drinking too much (purpose of the thread!) and still eking out slow loss. I just hit 187.2 for the first time and my wife is still losing too...feeling like shes been eating too much!...sorry, not to be bragging, just sharing our story.

All the best to ya!
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-18, 18:36

Plan: Primal/IF
Stats: 220/165/176 Female 5'10"
BF:~40%/26.3%/29%
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbieLee
Trouble is this is not "induction". That happened in May, but I have found that if I add any more carbs I quit loosing weight. I loose weight keeping it around 5 carbs a day.....It seems for my body this is where I need to keep it. 2 beers and I'm done!!!

Wow that is low - I personally do believe there is such a thing as too low. What do you eat everyday if you don't mind me asking? Is it possible you have put your body into starvation mode?
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-18, 07:51

BF:

This does seem a little off topic of alcohol....but I'd love feed-back. I started out with the 20 carbs a day and after a few weeks I was not loosing anything. So I just cut way back. I see this as a life time change, but want to loose first. An average day: breakfast: 2 pieces of bacon, 2 eggs, lunch: a couple of roast beef roll ups with Sargento cheese (package says 0 carbs), either with dill pickle or 1/2 an avocado, dinner is either a big hamburger (with mustard and mayo) or a piece of meat, sometime during the day I usually eat a couple of hard boiled eggs. You would think the weight would just fall off, but that is not the case. This past week and a half I've had more carbs while on this trip. It is hard to be as strict while not at home. But even yesterday, when I had 5, yes 5 Michelob ultras, I still kept it below 20.

I happy for you, Kim, that you and your wife do not have to be as strict. The other day we went out to eat and I almost felt like I was cheating because I was having a big salad! LOL I'll give an update when we get home. I did not bring scales with me, although we are in a 5th wheel and I could have. So the real test will be next week when I step on the scales.
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-18, 13:24
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Not a licenses to booze it up folks!
Quote:
Dietary saturated fat protects rats from alcohol-induced liver disease. In fact, saturated fats not only protect, but reverse it.2

Rats that were fed both ethanol continuously plus palm oil showed a reversal in liver damage due to down-regulation of COX-2 and TNF alpha.

Rats that were fed ethanol plus fish oil showed the worst liver damage.

In another experiment by the same group, beef tallow wholly prevented alcoholic liver disease in rats, whereas those fed corn oil got a severe case of it.3

So, it could be that among humans, those who get cirrhosis eat a high amount of polyunsaturated fats. Those who don’t may eat lots of meat and butter.
In addition to the above enough naturally saturated fat with adequate protein helps with weight loss and health overall.
"If the effect of drinking on health were controlled for IQ, the answer might become more definitive."

https://medium.com/the-mission/how-...ch-437caa2e93f7
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-18, 13:45
Registered Member

Plan: P.L.A.N
Stats: 302/290/253 Male 187
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbieLee
This does seem a little off topic of alcohol....but I'd love feed-back. I started out with the 20 carbs a day and after a few weeks I was not loosing anything. So I just cut way back. I see this as a life time change, but want to loose first. An average day: breakfast: 2 pieces of bacon, 2 eggs, lunch: a couple of roast beef roll ups with Sargento cheese (package says 0 carbs), either with dill pickle or 1/2 an avocado, dinner is either a big hamburger (with mustard and mayo) or a piece of meat, sometime during the day I usually eat a couple of hard boiled eggs. You would think the weight would just fall off, but that is not the case. This past week and a half I've had more carbs while on this trip. It is hard to be as strict while not at home. But even yesterday, when I had 5, yes 5 Michelob ultras, I still kept it below 20.

I happy for you, Kim, that you and your wife do not have to be as strict. The other day we went out to eat and I almost felt like I was cheating because I was having a big salad! LOL I'll give an update when we get home. I did not bring scales with me, although we are in a 5th wheel and I could have. So the real test will be next week when I step on the scales.

Go steak and eggs only for 7 days. Add some tobasco but keep it simple. You cant not ..not lose on that.
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-18, 08:44

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran
Go steak and eggs only for 7 days. Add some tobasco but keep it simple. You cant not ..not lose on that.

Sounds like a rich-man's diet to me! Gotta go with the elk burger in the freezer. But I am happy to report that the 2 weeks we were gone, I did manage to loose 4 lbs, so I am very happy with that. It is good to know that a few low-carb beers along the way are not going to derail me. Moderation sounds like the key for me.
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-18, 13:42

BF:

Mike D,

That was a good read (the link elaborates). One of the things I never believed is heavy drinking is good for you! But I also have a philosophy, somewhat, of "eat well, stay fit and die of a car crash anyway". I would be really mad to live like a health puritan, refuse myself all the good stuff, then get taken out by something that had absolutely nothing to do with what I put in my pie hole.

I'll also be kind of mad if I develop a disease beyond alcoholism because that would have been caused by me. But, I would have lived many days and years doing what I loved with drinking, rather than abstaining from something I love. My wife of course feels the opposite! She's going to be mad if that happens.

Not only do I take supplements, but they also include that fish oil that seems to increase alcohol damage! (per that study). Along with fish and flax oil, multivitamin, extra vitamin E and C, I also take plant sterols for help with cholesterol (I refuse to take poison statins), I take niacin for the heart, and milk thistle for the liver. I started the milk thistle after seeing a doctor on the news talk about how he has seen people/patients with damage as bad as cirrhosis actually reverse the damage much faster than abstinence alone. I also take 1/4 aspirin, the equiv of a baby aspirin every day...so I'm not your typical alcoholic thats doesn't eat well, I am hyper nutritioned!

I'm losing weight not for the direct health benefits or any medical issues that often drives people to weight loss; I was just sick of being so fat...thats it...I'm selfish that way! With drinking, I'm the opposite...it takes being nearly sick for me to HAVE to cut back...the diet actually made me stop and cut back for the simple goal of losing weight. I've had acute pancreatitis and was told at any point, alcohol could kill me and like an idiot, eventually went right back to it. Its all because I dont want to quit drinking...period...like I said, I'm selfish...I'm supposed to be thinking of everyone else in my life instead of doing what I want.

BobbieLee,

I think your daily diet example looks fine...assuming that's a no bun hamburger for dinner! I find activity does help me lose a little. I have done almost no exorcising on purpose, but I do notice when I do a bunch of work around the house, some of it very physical, thats when I really see the needle move.

We just went on a trip for the weekend and when I got back, I had jumped a couple-three pounds back just over 190. Within 2 days I was back to the high180's and just this morning back down below 188. I wondered if the higher altitude made me gain! That's where I seem to be stuck right now.

I did a dietary splurge too. We went to a German restaurant. I'm sure the cabbage sides had a little sugar in them and the sauces had some flour. My wife and I ordered different then split to share. I ordered stuffed cabbage...and it never occurred to be that those usually have a filler! Like rice. The place was so dark it was hard to tell or see it. I just ate it and stayed away from the spaetzel. But...the biggest cheat of all, something I prided myself in having never done since January 1 this year...I ate a half of a dinner roll thats right, a dinner roll. It wasn't the apogee moment I dreamed of, it was just a decent dinner roll with some butter. But I can no longer say I haven't cheated, I ate that...and absolutely no way to know the carb numbers in the rest of the meal...but we ordered away from anything breaded of course. In retrospect it was a dumb cheat, I'm not even a fan of most German food, its like almost any other home cooking, no "wow" factor, except I love sausage and THAT was the most expensive thing on the menu! I WAS NOT paying $20 for a lunch to get sausage. My wife wasn't impressed either, so we'll likely not go back. It was spur of the moment on a road trip, we knew the restaurant well as we'd made the trip many times. A lesson learned.

Congrats on the 4 lbs! I was told by someone here that the body can easily fluctuate 3-4 lbs in a couple days, and to not be too discouraged if I gain, and stick with the plan for the long haul. Fortunately for you, you lost it! I've trimmed back my carb intake this week as a result of that cheat to hopefully balance that carb burst I hit my body with.

Last edited by Meetow Kim : Wed, Aug-01-18 at 13:48.
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 07:06

BF:

Thanks, Kim. It is always good when the needle moves down. Although I may have splurged a bit by having some beers, I never had more than 20 carbs a day, and most of the time it was still between 8-12 carbs per day. Sometimes I do splurge with a bun...a low carb bun, 2.5 carbs per. There are many "bread" recipe's on-line using low carb ingredients that fit the bill for a bread fix. Same carbs as a beer, so some days I have to make that choice!
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 16:00
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Sipped a shot of stoli neat the other day, first in a couple of months. It burned all the way down and tasted like the way rubbing alcohol smells. I asked myself "how did I ever drink this stuff?" Smooth and sweet is what I remember. I guess you can get used to it. The 2nd drink wasn't quite as harsh as the 1st
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-18, 14:06

BF:

BobbieLee,

The only thing I saw not in your diet that may be helpful is fiber. if most of your fiber is coming from the avocado, amping that up with a supplement may be good. The low carb breads can be good for that too because they are using a lot of fiber to offset the carbs in the commercial products especially. If you like pita bread, Joseph's, who makes the lavash flat bread, makes a great pita...and there are several low carb choices on the shelves for flour tortillas too. Usually high fiber.

I'm a fan of baking my own stuff as well, but what I have gotten good at baking so far are not flat breads, tortillas or pitas! I'm still looking for a good dinner roll recipe and have a few to try, but they start getting higher in carbs the better they get. Right now Buttoni's cheddar biscuits are the closest thing I have in my repertoire to a dinner roll, they work well for sliders too.

Mike d,

Like the country song says "you cant sip whiskey...gotta drank it!".

Abstaining definitely brings back those senses and sensitivity. I dont often sip vodka straight unless its from the freezer, and then it's usually more of a shot than a sipping. My vodka drinking is usually what I call a lazy man's dirty vodka martini. I love a dirty vodka martini but sometimes dont want the whole production of the shaker and all...and then of course one MUST have large olives when done properly. So I go ice in the rocks glass, pour over vodka near the top, and a splash of olive brine, stir. There's actually a product called Dirty Sue sold that is just olive brine in a 750ml bottle. That dilutes the vodka with melting ice, either method, making it less strong on the flesh when going down. Plus, I, for some reason, like the taste of alcohol, even some of the cheap lower shelf stuff in the plastic jug!
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-18, 14:15

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meetow Kim

Right now Buttoni's cheddar biscuits are the closest thing I have in my repertoire to a dinner roll, they work well for sliders too.

l

Where would I find this??? Trying to get my teens to like lc.
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-18, 17:48

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Going back to the fatty liver and recovering, this is an interesting article that references studies. It looks like weight loss of any amount reduces more fat in the liver than you’d guess from the weight loss it itself (ie - percentage of fat loss in liver is higher than percentage of body weight loss.)

“Scroll down to dietary strategies” and low carb is the suggestion, with references.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/fatty-liver

Not so true about healing scarring but if you catch it early enough...

#44   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-18, 17:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Going back to the alcohol/fatty liver and helaping the liver heal, this is an interesting article that references studies. It looks like weight loss of any amount reduces more fat in the liver than you’d guess from the weight loss it itself (ie - percentage of fat loss in liver is higher than percentage of body weight loss.)

“Scroll down to dietary strategies” and low carb is the suggestion, with references.

Not so true about healing scarring but if you catch it early enough...
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-18, 12:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Where would I find this??? Trying to get my teens to like lc.

https://buttoni.wordpress.com/2011/...eddar-biscuits/

They are really good. Anybody should like them. You'll have to stock up on some pantry items you may not have, thats the only reason I haven't made more of Buttoni's recipes, her blog is an evolution, so just as soon as you buy certain ingredients, she has moved on from some of them and using other ingredients you dont yet have! So, its a building thing slowly getting all those ingredients because most of them are more expensive than the baking ingredients we traditionally used.

For instance, CarbQuick is in this recipe, and these biscuits and Buttoni's (her name is Peggy...and by they way my real name is Ken, feel free to use it) low carb pancake recipe are the only ones I use right now that have carbquick. The 3lb box is a little pricey and the stuff on its own is not all that good, even though they have a lot of recipes on the box. The low carb pankakes are pretty good too by the way, but know the batter is super thick and they are best when allowed to cool close to room temp, they seem almost liquidy in the center when hot, but that changes totally when cooled a bit.

Once you have a few solid recipes, its good to have these ingredients to repeat them regularly. Like with whey protein, I didn't think I had any use for it other than the couple recipes I use it in. Then I started making protein shakes to keep in the fridge and now I run out fast! It's a delicious way to have a late night "snack" without having to make anything. It satisfies the stomach and soothes too, and all I do is pull the jar out, take a couple big drinks and I'm good. I'm the only one that drinks from the jar. I would never have had that in my life had I not started baking Buttoni's recipes.

With this cheddar biscuit recipe, she has you make 10 smaller biscuits, which are great to eat as a side bread with a meal, but I also make a batch when I want hamburgers and separate them in to 6 portions for baking and that makes a slightly larger than slider/slightly smaller than regular hamburger bun. I make 6 2-oz burger patties (I grind my own meat and foodsaver 12 oz packages) and two of these small burgers are plenty for a meal, leaving two for leftovers for the two of us. The high protein content of the biscuits makes having only a 4oz portion of meat very satiating. Before dieting, I would make my wife and I 6oz burgers, square shaped on ciabatta bread. Now we get two small leftover burgers perfect for a lunch.

You should peruse her site. There are some real winner recipes there. The only one I haven't liked so far are the dumplings, but thats consistant, I dont like ANY low carb noodle recipe I've tried, including special low carb noodle flour I bought...and was a waste of money until I find something useful other than noodles for it.

I'm making her focaccia bread pizza crust tonight. I've made the bread many times and it really eats well, even many non-dieters like it, especially the way I jazz it up in different variations. I've been planning to use it for pizza for a while now but have been making lavash bread pizzas instead because I dont have to make the crust! There is a technique though. Look in the kitchen talk section of this site for my conversations about that. It's not a bad rendition of pizza, but you have to be patient and let it cool to just above room temp and watch it like a hawk while pre-baking the lavash sheets especially.

The cheddar biscuits are the opposite, they bake easy with a set time and they are better warm than cold.

Last edited by Meetow Kim : Sat, Aug-04-18 at 12:58.