Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-18, 10:08

Plan: Atkins Concept
Stats: 225/190/175 Male 70.5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

I never replace food with alcohol, but hardcore alcoholics often do. It's very sad.

I can report that you CAN drink and lose weight. I fell off the wagon and have been drinking quite a bit due to some increased stress...thats my excuse and i'm sticking with it!

I've now hit 60% of goal and still slowly losing. Granted, I would probably lose faster without the booze, but hey, best of both worlds working for me right now.

I stick with distilled spirits with no added sweeteners, except a couple artificial ones I'm playing around with. I am also allowing myself a beer here and there, but only the 2.4 carb Michelob Ultra...sadly, but this time of year after working out on my property and house, a nice cold beer in the late afternoon before my shower is a real treat.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, May-01-18, 16:04
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Been having a few shots of tequila lately due to this dry cough that's going around. I caught it in Tennessee. Noticed I have more GI problems with wine now than the clear liquors. Yes it can stall weight loss so count those calories as sugar.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-18, 20:21

Plan: Primal/IF
Stats: 220/165/176 Female 5'10"
BF:~40%/26.3%/29%
Progress: 125%

I can definitely relate to your post.

I am a 'heavier' drinker of dry wine - I do not think it makes me hungrier or eat more than I would if I hadn't had anything to drink. I am losing weight keeping carbs at around 50g per day whilst still drinking.

It is something I do want to address once I get my weight under control (And quit smoking)

But, for now for me, one thing at a time - I think if I was to try to 'fix' everything in one swoop I would be miserable and give up.

I just read the drinking mans diet someone posted on one of my threads and found it very interesting (Not sure it is 100% the healthy way to live) but how healthy is eating 300g+ of sugar a day?
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-18, 21:19
Grease is the word!

MK
Quote:
I just want to know, "is it making me fat or not?!"
Well the short answer is maybe. When I got ill and injured back in May and was sipping clear liqueurs on and off most days, no wine because it has more side effects for me, I noticed my clothes were suddenly getting tighter. Diet and exercise, more or less the same and I gained 15 pounds in 6 weeks! Plus my blood pressure, that was an normal systolic without meds before, shot up so I had to resume my old medication. Back to normal now so most of the weight gain was water thankfully. It's sneaky, as your tolerance increases it takes more and more to get the same effect/relief as before. It may not seem to affect your head -- but it affects your body.

Believe me, the alcohol can cause water retention, high BP, and other issues. It's like drinking syrup that's why it tastes sweet. The one thing it can make thinner is your wallet!

Last edited by mike_d : Mon, Jun-25-18 at 21:26.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-18, 06:56
Registered Member

Plan: Keto-ish
Stats: 339/286/245 Male 76 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%

I've been unfortunate enough to witness this lovely issue:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcoh...sakoff_syndrome

Close to the end of his life, my father would only eat crap like cake and ice cream, and the remainder of his daily consumption was booze. He wasn't a pass-out drunk, but he was more or less constantly inebriated. It was pretty damned ugly.

It's let me to be rather observant of how I consume alcohol, and also how I see it in others. Fortunately I'm not really interested in it that much, other than the occasional wine or mixed drink. I really don't think I'd miss it if I gave it up entirely.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-18, 11:39
Grease is the word!

Quote:
requiring companies that sell alcoholic beverages to supplement them with B vitamins in general or thiamine in particular, could avert many cases of AKS.
Healthy vodka? Like adding vitamin D to skim milk?
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-18, 11:58
Registered Member

Plan: Keto-ish
Stats: 339/286/245 Male 76 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%

I remember reading something about that way back in the Life Extension book. Durk Pearson...haven't heard much from him lately. He said that while they could put supplements in booze, there are governmental restrictions to doing something like that. At least there was when he wrote that book.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-18, 13:43

BF:

Fortunately I haven't had the tragic issues with booze...but did come close once. I had acute pancreatitis which can kill. It slowed me down, I was good and sober for a while, then slowly, little by little I was back to my old ways again.

I've been on sort of a binge for about a month now after restricting the alcohol for the purpose of weight loss on the low carb diet. Things got really stressful and gave me an excuse to drink every day again. Going to try to back off again, interestingly enough...starting today!

I'm not a day drinker usually, I'm all at night, usually after work is done.

I've still lost a little weight but without a doubt there is a stall effect to weight loss. If like me and drinking easily 500-1,000 calories a day it adds up. But while on this latest binge broke through the 190 barrier and even saw some 188lbs here and there. I haven't changed my stats here because I had a sudden jump back to 192 in one day...3 lbs...so I'm calling it 35lbs lost but not making it official on my stats here until I stop seeing anything over 190. 35lbs lost isn't bad...still hoping for 15 more though!
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-18, 16:31
Grease is the word!

Good keep at it, we all rationalize and make excuses. As far as weight goes alcohol can cause water retention or dehydration causing scale readings to yo-yo. My clue was my pants didn't fit and they were loose after I went on a fast before my vacation. I had gotten sick, injured my ankle and drank more than usual. Lost 10 in less than two weeks when I returned, but still stuck at 5 over now back on plan with no drinking. Also blood pressure had shot up, but it's back down to normal.

Let us know how it's going

Last edited by mike_d : Thu, Jul-05-18 at 16:42.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-18, 08:00

BF:

Thanks Mike, its good to read similar stories. Fortunately I haven't gained weight, just stalled. I seem to be still slowly losing but mostly a stall. I've been drinking every day, significantly for a month or so, so I guess its amazing I haven't gained. I have no desire to quit drinking, I love it, but wish I would moderate better. Its been a stressful couple of months (nothing to do with the diet), when I was back on 4 days no drinking 3 days on, I was still losing a couple lbs a week. So I know when I get my act together and back on the wagon I will lose again.

So Mike, you and I had similar goals and weight range. How long did it take you to hit your 180 or 56lbs lost goal? I'm not a support group type but since our stats are similar I thought I would ask. I know you have fluctuated and I fully expect to do the same, I do plan to enjoy some splurges after hitting goal, especially around the holidays. I'm stalled (my own fault, drinking) at around 35lbs lost in 6 months and if not for the drinking would probably be so much closer to goal. That's OK, I love drinking!...but really want to get back to losing too...
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-18, 20:34
Grease is the word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meetow Kim
So Mike, you and I had similar goals and weight range. How long did it take you to hit your 180 or 56lbs lost goal? I'm not a support group type but since our stats are similar I thought I would ask.
Years, but have tried various diets along the way. Lost most of it on Atkins, then stalled at 208, started IF and lost another 10. The only way I could get to 180 was by doing IF then a fast. I believe my 'set point' is 190 and "ideal weight" 175 so it gets progressively more difficult to go/stay below it. Trying different things may be key, I believe the body adjusts to the same regimen over time, but too many changes at once can get confusing that's where I am now -- confused.

As far as the "Drinking Man's Diet" I looked at it, his recommendations for alcohol put many off the diet, but there isn't a requirement to drink as much as he says. Those are maximum guidelines. In that case less is better for good results.

Last edited by mike_d : Fri, Jul-06-18 at 20:46.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-18, 07:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237/215/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 24%

I must say this has been a most interesting thread to read. My alcohol of choice is wine, which I even make myself. For the most part I make a very asserted effort to stay away from wine, I'll admit it seems to make me not care so much about the weight and I drink more wine. I appreciate all the responses and input. I laughed when Kim mentioned one of those people who can eat and drink whatever they want, I am married to one and he just doesn't "get" it! I am finding we all have individual obstacles to overcome, but it is wonderful to come to this forum and find I am not alone, good luck to all.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-18, 14:55

BF:

Mike_D,

You dont look confused at all...you look 1lb from goal! I've dug in for the long haul. I'm happy to have lost the roughly 35lbs...its made everything better. My wife lost about as much too doing the zero sugar diet along with my Atkins cooking (I cook almost all our dinners). We are like new lovers again! I have a danged skinny wife now compared to before! Its cool and different, but sometimes I miss some of what I used to grab on too! I'll take it...she's more "flexible" as her lower weight self.

I had to look up IF. I sometimes do that already. There are some days I just dont eat until lunch around 1PM and many evenings I dont snack on anything, so I guess thats sort of intermittent fasting. Some mornings I wake up extremely hungry though...drinking like I am right now, I really need couple eggs in the morning...and THAT right there explains why I am stuck ranging from 187 to 190 for the last couple weeks. I was happy to break that 188 mark recently though and see that 187.6 finally! I dont adjust my weight on my profile here until I stop seeing the next milestone or weight. I've been close to posting at 190 but I still see 190 here and there, so I'm waiting till that stops.

I looked at the drinking mans diet. It's a great excuse for a two martini lunch! Which I do on occasion! Actually, one of my favorite cocktails is a dirty vodka martini...and usually the only cocktail on any menu I can have! Gotta be a Friday with nothing important to do the rest of the day though...and maybe an afternoon nap! I'm not much of a day drinker but I can pound it down at night. usually vodka before dinner and bourbon after dinner.

Looks like your well on your way BobbieLee! Don't let the stalls discourage you. I lost 18lb in 18 days...granted I started on Southbeach for the first couple weeks, which is low fat too....it was miserable...someone here smartly suggested I should switch to Atkins after reading how I was freaking out about not being able to eat nearly anything I like. I am an avid home chef, so it was killing me mentally. I have since rediscovered a LOT of stuff I like and can have, and being at phase 2-3-ish I can have a little more carbs, I'm comfortable slowing my weight loss to enjoy life a little more now.

My point is, I lost 18lbs in 18days and then the slowdown and stalls happened, even gained some weight inexplicably. After 6 months I'm now seemingly stalled at about 35lbs lost. So it took me 4-1/2 months to essentially lose another roughly 18 lbs...stalled at 187 to 190...of course I'm drinking like a fool for the last couple months too!

Last edited by Meetow Kim : Thu, Jul-19-18 at 15:01.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-18, 13:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237/215/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 24%

We are on a motorcycle trip at the moment and I knew this was going to be a struggle. It is our "norm" to stop at quaint bars along our travels, although this year we are in our toy hauler, so just shorter rides. We are going to be gone 10 days to 2 weeks and my "goal" is not to gain while we are gone, and I did not bring my scales! I'm sticking to the 2.6 carb beer, but a few days I was up to about 12 carbs for one day...quite a lot for me. But if I can maintain my weight and still have a few beers a day I'll be happy. Kudo's to you Mike and thanks for the encouragement. I am more focused than I've been in a long time, I'm hoping this time it will stick!!!
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-18, 13:59

BF:

Vacation is never a good time to be on induction...or ANY form of dieting

That's why I did the age old New Year's resolution and started my diet hardcore on January 1. I was fat long before that but gave myself the holidays to eat and drink up. I went for at least a few weeks alcohol free, then limited on Friday and Saturday night...of course now I'm totally saturated again. But I didn't drink at all in induction.

No way I'd spend my vacation booze free or with just light beer. I would start the day after or just get back on it after, in earnest. Life is too short. I keep a puppy with a ball picture in my office that says. "Life Must Be Lived As Play"...it's actually a Plato quote. BUT, in the full quote he does mention sacrifice...

“Life must be lived as play, playing certain games, making sacrifices, singing and dancing, and then a man will be able to propitiate the gods, and defend himself against his enemies, and win in the contest.”

Have fun and best of luck BobbieLee