Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Nov-25-17, 08:29

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Dr. Fung has started a podcast series, and the pilot episode profiled a breast cancer survivor talking about her choices and the help of a specialized nutritionist.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Nov-26-17, 17:25

Plan: ≤ 20 carbs & IF
Stats: 292/235/170 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

Thanks again for all the wonderful support and suggestions.

As I have said in other posts, my wife has been following pretty much the same diet as I have. Going forward, it looks like I'll be incorporating a healthy breast cancer diet into my diet. It seems the low carb diet with a few modifications is the best way to go. We have been reading about nutrition and breast cancer and also the importance of vitamin D and how it can stop cancer growth. She's adding a good vitamin D supplement along with a fish oil supplement to the multivitamins she already has been taking.

Foods that are good for breast cancer include:

turmeric, broccoli, arugula, walnuts, horseradish, flax, cabbage, (especially brussel sprouts), asparagus, kale, garlic, watercress, carrots, salmon, shiitake mushrooms, fish eggs, prunes, sweet potatoes & (sour) cherries / tart cherry juice, raspberries, & green tea. All of her meat needs to be organic, without added hormones.

Tonite I'm making her a turmeric chicken with (miracle) rice recipe with shiitake mushrooms and for desert raspberry Jello 1-2-3 with fresh raspberries.

From now on all our meals are going to be low carb and breast cancer friendly.

EDIT: The tart cherry juice is going to add a few carbs to her diet but I think the benefits outweigh the risks. We were testing it tonight and it tastes very good when mixed with sugar-free green tea
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-17, 08:54

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Prunes and sweet potatoes would also add carbs, I dont think they have any "superfood" nutrition that would out-weigh the benefit of keeping the diet lower in carbs. AS is a controversial topic, but long before I went LC, right after reading the classic David Servan-Schreiber book "Anti-Cancer Diet" after diagnosis, I removed all artificial sweeteners.

The Keto for Cancer book covers all these topics...carb limits, superfoods, sweeteners, etc. Truly the best book now available. https://www.dietarytherapies.com/foods/ Since I follow this topic for my oncologist's survivor clinic, I have a list of all the studies and books on cancer nutrition, this new book has superseded others used before. Click on the Media tab too...Miriam has recently been giving more podcasts and talks on the Keto diet.

When people push back about low carb to prevent/support treatment of cancer, tell them the president of MSK, the Cornell-Weill cancer hospital and the head of cancer medicine at MD Anderson have all publically stated they eat "Keto"...good enough for them, it's good enough for me. Dr Hwe's recent quotes and his prevention diet: https://www.today.com/health/ketoge...y-fight-t118177
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Nov-28-17, 08:06

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Prunes and sweet potatoes would also add carbs, I dont think they have any "superfood" nutrition that would out-weigh the benefit of keeping the diet lower in carbs. AS is a controversial topic, but long before I went LC, right after reading the classic David Servan-Schreiber book "Anti-Cancer Diet" after diagnosis, I removed all artificial sweeteners.

Bill - I agree with Janet. No so-called super food is going to outweigh the benefits of keeping everything low carb Omitting all artificial sweeteners, eating only real unprocessed food, and keeping everything low carb can only stack the deck in your wife's favor. This is a hard road to travel but if you keep your eye on the prize good things can happen.

Jean
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Nov-28-17, 11:37

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Wasn't there a thread on here about starving the cancer. Here is one article:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=462978
Eliminating all sugars including root veggies and fruit which are chuck full of sugar. I love them but being low carb for some time, a nice serving of sweet potatoes/yams with only butter is almost like having a piece of cake as far as the sugar I taste.

My DH's friend had cancer and began eating "super foods" his choice was carrots and he began juicing like mad. DH thought to himself maybe it would help him just from a health standpoint, now realizes that it's fuel for cancer after learning about LC and seeing his BS go to 325 from all of that carrot juice...

Last edited by Meme#1 : Tue, Nov-28-17 at 11:47.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Nov-28-17, 15:12

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
My DH's friend had cancer and began eating "super foods" his choice was carrots and he began juicing like mad.

That was quite the thing when my grandfather had cancer back in 1971. Mom felt bad that she hadn't been able to get him to drink enough carrot juice soon enough to cure the cancer. I'm not sure if she ever found out that it would do no good. When my husband had prostate cancer, she made him a gallon of Oregon grape root tea (which tastes really nasty) & it didn't do anything for him.

When she got cancer, she didn't try either one. So maybe she did find out they were useless. It wasn't something we talked about.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Nov-28-17, 16:11

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Whatever your wife chooses to eat, support her. Her diet didn't cause her cancer and it won't cure it, either. However, if your lowcarb diet is making you feel good and strong and in control, then please continue. She needs you and you need strength. God bless you both.

~ Laura (Uterine cancer victor, 2011) ~
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Nov-28-17, 17:26

BF:

Starving cancer: Dominic D'Agostino at TEDxTampaBay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fM9o72ykww
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Nov-28-17, 23:30

BF:

This is a very informative article posted in 2014 by Demi:

Cancer is a metabolic disease that can be managed with low-carb ketogenic diet

For years, cancer was considered a genetic disorder, but emerging evidence suggests that cancer is a metabolic disease that can be prevented and managed with the low-carb, high-fat ketogenic diet.

According to cancer researcher Dr. Dominic D'Agostino, the ketogenic diet, in conjunction with ketone supplementation, can significantly reduce the spread of cancer, and may prevent the onset of cancer by improving metabolic health.

"Most cancer scientists have historically thought cancer was a genetic disease, but only 5-10% of cancer is hereditary," Dr. D'Agostino told me in an exclusive interview. D'Agostino is an assistant professor at the University Of South Florida Morsani College Of Medicine in the Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Physiology.

According to Dr. D'Agostino, we are only as healthy as our mitochondria, which are the power sources of all our cells, so if we keep our mitochondria healthy, we can stall the onset of cancer and other age-related chronic diseases. A review describing the metabolic theory of cancer was recently published by Professor Thomas Seyfried from Boston College in collaboration with D’Agostino’s lab in the medical journal Carcinogenesis.

A Ketogenic Diet Keeps Mitochondria Healthy

An effective way to inhibit the growth of cancer cells is to follow the low-carb, high-fat, moderate-protein ketogenic diet that eliminates processed foods.

"When we restrict carbs in our diet, we can prevent pro-inflammatory spikes in blood glucose and blood insulin," explained D'Agostino, who has a Ph.D. in physiology and neuroscience. "Suppression of blood glucose and insulin spikes can be very helpful when managing many chronic diseases."

We all have cancer cells or pre-cancerous cells growing inside our bodies, but people with healthy immune systems keep the cancer from mutating and turning deadly. The mechanisms that keep cells from mutating (DNA repair processes) are largely dependent upon healthy mitochondrial function.

"Thus, healthy mitochondria are the ultimate tumor suppressor," said Dr. D'Agostino. And one way to keep mitochondria healthy is through the low-carb, high-fat ketogenic diet, which stimulates mitochondrial biogenesis and enhances mitochondrial efficiency.

Many people find the ketogenic diet (which is 75-90% fat) unpalatable and too difficult to follow, but Dr. D'Agostino said rigorous exercise and ketone supplements may mimic the effects of a ketogenic diet without the need for drastic carb restriction.

"Ketogenic supplements such as coconut oil, MCT oil and ketone mineral salts supply energy to can enhance mitochondrial health," he said.

The ketogenic diet has been around for decades, but has recently begun to find mainstream acceptance as a way to manage disease. A ketogenic diet has already proven more effective than drugs at controlling epileptic seizures, and has been shown to reverse type 2 diabetes. Neurologist Dr. David Perlmutter, author of Grain Brain, told me the ketogenic diet promotes rapid weight loss and prevents ADHD, dementia and Alzheimer's.

Dr. D'Agostino joins a growing number of cancer researchers who say the ketogenic diet is an effective cancer fighter. This is because nearly all the healthy cells in our body have the metabolic flexibility to use fat, glucose and ketones to survive, but cancer cells lack this metabolic flexibility and require large amounts of glucose and cannot survive on ketones. So by limiting carbohydrates we can reduce glucose (and insulin) and thus restrict the primary fuel for cancer cell growth.

Ketogenic Diet Starves Cancer Because Cancer Thrives on Sugar

Interestingly, this phenomenon was first observed in the 1920s by German physiologist Otto Warburg, who won a Nobel Prize in 1931 for discovering that cancer cells have defective mitochondria and thrive on sugar. The “Warburg effect” can be exploited by the ketogenic diet, but this approach has not been used to fight cancer, partly due to the entrenched government-sanctioned low-fat diet dogma that has historically promoted a high-carb diet.

For healthy individuals, achieving nutritional ketosis with the ketogenic diet or ketone supplementation may be the most effective and practical way to prevent cancer. For people with cancer, nutritional ketosis can suppress tumor growth so the cancer does not spread.

Dr. D'Agostino has worked with cancer patients who have successfully used the ketogenic diet to manage their illness. Dr. Fred Hatfield, a former power-lifting champion and founder of the International Sports Sciences Association, has beaten cancer with the ketogenic diet.

When Dr. Hatfield was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2009, he treated it with surgery and radiation, which is the common standard of care. Like other cancer patients, he got violently ill and weak from his treatment.

In 2010, when Dr. Hatfield was diagnosed with metastatic bone cancer, he contacted Dr. D'Agostino's laboratory to get more information on the metabolic therapies that were under investigation. Now, four years later, Dr. Hatfield remains in remission and leads a very active lifestyle. He credits the low-carb, high-fat ketogenic diet for his miraculous recovery.

"Not only is Dr. Hatfield's cancer gone, but he's in excellent health," said Dr. D'Agostino. "He works out every day and enjoys his life at 71."

Ketogenic Diet May One Day Replace Expensive Chemo and Surgery

In 2012, urologist Dr. Eugene Fine conducted a 10-patient pilot study at Montefiore Medical Center in Bronx, N.Y. The patients all had advanced cancers and agreed to follow a ketogenic diet (which limited daily carb intake to less than 50 grams) for 28 days. The results indicated that six of the 10 patients responded well to the ketogenic diet (evidence by FDG-PET scan), meaning their cancers stabilized or showed partial remission.

The best results occurred in patients who had a suppression of insulin secretion and elevation of ketones because of their high-fat, low-carb diet. "Effects on insulin are an important clue to indicate which patients are likeliest to respond to this kind of diet," Dr. Fine told me.

Today, there are about a dozen studies that are investigating the use of the ketogenic diet to manage all kinds of cancer. Those results will determine whether the medical community will adopt metabolic therapy to treat cancer in the future.

For now, Dr. D'Agostino is encouraged by the growing mainstream acceptance of the low-carb, high-fat ketogenic diet as a way to combat obesity, diabetes and heart disease, and is optimistic it will emerge as a useful tool for cancer prevention and treatment.

"Emerging evidence in studies of cells, animals and humans support Warburg’s original hypothesis that cancer is a metabolic disease," said D'Agostino. "It has been over 80 years and no one has disproven this hypothesis, so it’s time to exploit the sugar addiction of cancer cells with nutrition and other nontoxic strategies to treat and prevent cancer."
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=459736

Last edited by Meme#1 : Tue, Nov-28-17 at 23:39.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Nov-30-17, 07:58
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:

Grassroots Health has started a Breast Prevention Cancer Group and just won the Clinical Sciences Award at the 2017 annual Carolina Women's Health Research Forum for their research on vitamin D blood levels that prevent cancer.

https://grassrootshealth.net/blog/7...ll-cancer-risk/

They found a 71% reduction in cancers with those maintaining a vitamin D blood level of:

Quote:
By concentrating on vitamin D level, not dosage groups, we can apply these findings to any community. All they need is to test vitamin D levels, educate, and test again - so that the population maintains over 40 ng/ml (100 nmol/L) 25(OH)D.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Dec-02-17, 10:40

Plan: ≤ 20 carbs & IF
Stats: 292/235/170 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

Hi guys and thanks again for all the links and valuable information!

We met together with the surgeon yesterday and she was 100% behind a ketogenic diet to help fight breast cancer. As usual, I am getting great support and advice here.

My wife says that she's not worried about the stevia sweetner because she used to call the plant "sweet grass" in her native Thailand and feels comfortable with it but wants to avoid the otehrs, so stevia it is. We have added a vitamin d3 supplement along with fish oil and the centrum she was already taking. She's now on 100% organic diet with only organic meats with no hormones etc and 20 carbs or less per day. We're ditching the tart cherry juice too and going with strict very low carb.

I also followed the suggestion here and joined over at breastcancer.org as TucsonBill and have posted in the recently diagnosed forum on behalf of my wife, (her English is good but not perfect so we do this one togehter).

Thanks again guys! I'll post here more as I can - been hecktic lately.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Dec-03-17, 04:57

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Terrific news that the surgeon is fully supportive of the Ketogenic Diet. Ten years ago the more common attitude was Diet doesn’t make any difference to breast cancer progression or prevention of recurrence, but a patient should eat "healthy". Check any of the cancer centers info on nutrition and you will find whole grains, fruits and veg, more fish, less meat. In the past five years, there are more patients coming to Ketogenic support pages who say their doctor has suggested Ketogenic eating, encouraging, but still not in the standard protocols.

This coming week is the big deal breast cancer conference held in San Antonio every year...40th anniversary. About 1400 papers accepted ...brace yourself for weird stories on Cancer this week. The schedule looks to have no speakers on Lifestyle or nutrition but the press will often pick up the odd-ball papers that may indicate X superfood decreases risk of Y by some little percent. My oncologist attends, so yesterday I sent him an update of my resources on the Ketogenic Diet as seen in popular press...there have been many in just the past six weeks. Years ago he asked me to share what I see about Diet that he can share with other patients who ask, easy to understand articles, or new clinical trials, not the academic studies. If interested, PM me your email, and I will forward the whole mess of links to you. The highlights for me was our Library ordering Keto for Cancer (only $20 at Amazon) and the Today show quotes on Keto from MD Anderson head of cancer Medicine https://www.today.com/health/ketoge...y-fight-t118177

I agree on the stevia, and you can make gelatin desserts from unflavored gelatin and stevia extracts. But for higher fats, also consider desserts made from sour cream, cream cheese, whipped cream (some frozen berries with heavy cream whizzed in a food processor becomes like soft-serve ice cream), etc.

Assume the rest of the meeting with the surgeon went well, and the journey through treatment continues along the usual path. Best wishes,
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Dec-03-17, 05:30

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Your wife's on board. Your doctor's on board. You are all doing what it takes. I'm so glad.

Jean
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Dec-03-17, 09:24

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

This is great news, Bill, and you now have a variety of sound approaches to your wife's condition. This enables you both to take steps to help effect a positive outcome. My thoughts are with you both.
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Dec-03-17, 12:52

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Since your wife is from Thailand, she may prefer full fat coconut milk instead of dairy in desserts (many of the Thais I know cringe at the thought/sight/smell of dairy products).

A neat trick is to put a can of coconut milk in the refrigerator for 1-2 days (or longer, I just keep one in there) so that it separates into fluid (good in drinks) and coconut cream that has the consistency of dairy cream cheese and can be used in any recipe calling for sour cream or cream cheese - like some frozen berries with coconut milk whizzed in a food processor with a bit of stevia.