Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-07-17, 09:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/177.5/156 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Dr Jason Fung?

Hi all,

For those of you who have been doing this a while, do you read Jason Fung? I just read through a presentation of his and he seemed to have some interesting thoughts.

I was particularly interested in his comments on insulin resistance, vs. blood sugar levels per se. He didn't seem as strict on the concept of no-carbs, it seemed more about getting your sugar or carbs from "real" food, akin to many of the foods on paleo (although he de-emphasized red meats). I'm on Atkins now, but see the "real foods" diet as more of a long-term plan for myself (one step at a time).

I'm not quite ready to hit fasting yet, but I have committed to at least a 12-hour gap somewhere in the day between eating, as well as eliminating snacking. I had been a big believer in the "lots of small meals throughout the day" strategy, but as I look back on it, that clearly didn't work too well. He seems to be on to something. I read the fasting thread and it was interesting. I have also cut out almost all added sugar.

Curious as to other's thoughts, particularly as to your experiences with him and his attitude on carbs, which seems to differ slightly from Atkins (although I guess the latter stages of Atkins also let some natural carbs in at the end).

Mike
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-07-17, 11:07

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

What I get from Dr. Fung is that while he does think the best dietary approach is low carb, he doesn't think that that should get in the way of those of his patients who are unwilling/hesitant to do low carb but could still benefit from fasting. He does a lot of cross-posting at dietdoctor.com, that's a paid site, but with a lot of free posts as well, that supports a low carb, high fat diet.

We have a long thread about Dr. Fung in the diabetes subforum.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-07-17, 11:24
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
What I get from Dr. Fung is that while he does think the best dietary approach is low carb, he doesn't think that that should get in the way of those of his patients who are unwilling/hesitant to do low carb but could still benefit from fasting. He does a lot of cross-posting at dietdoctor.com, that's a paid site, but with a lot of free posts as well, that supports a low carb, high fat diet.

We have a long thread about Dr. Fung in the diabetes subforum.

Great, thanks!

Mike
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-07-17, 13:04

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I'm a big Fung Fan - look at the first page of my journal for some video I've collected from him on fasting and the like, now to to his IDM site>

Quote:
I had been a big believer in the "lots of small meals throughout the day" strategy, but as I look back on it, that clearly didn't work too well.

Lots of paradigm shifts, I had to get over my belief that eating fat was fattening and has so many calories. It is and it does but has side effects that I didn't plan on - these side effects have led to better health and some loss of weight, mostly my body fat.

YMMV but know that Fung is on to something, or might just be on somthing
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-07-17, 13:26

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9

I really like Dr. Fung's ideas. His perspective is that of a doctor dealing primarily with diabetics, but I learned a lot about fasting from him, and I have found implementing some of his fasting protocols to be quite useful. A lot of good things are on the diet doctor.com site, and I think you can get a free membership for a month or some such to check it out....and you could watch his course on fasting. He dispels a lot of myths about fasting and how it affects your metabolism. He's also fun to listen to.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-07-17, 15:49

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I echo the thoughts of the others here regarding Jason Fung. He's blunt and informative. He has a method that helps people improve their health. Fung's IDM website and DietDoctor.com are excellent sources for healthy eating. Healthy eating not only includes the foods that are good for you, but provides information on meal timing, which is also very important. I like to have about 18-19 hours between my last meal of the previous day and the first meal of the current day. Dr. Fung's book, The Obesity Code, is also an excellent resource.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-07-17, 19:07

Plan: LCHF / IF
Stats: 333/113/138 Female 5'6"
BF:BMI 56/18/22
Progress: 113%

I thank Dr Fung for his knowledge and for sharing it on Youtube - I'm a fan - which is where I have watched quite a few of his interviews and videos
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-08-17, 07:20
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I learned about the Fung Protocol here on this forum, and it totally changed my path. I broke a very long plateau and restored my A1c and all other health markers to normal.

What I like most about his blog posts is that, in his repetition of the message, he uses different terminology and examples. What I might not have understood before, somehow gets through to me with the new examples.

My favorite messages:
1. What you eat and when you eat
2. There are really two different places where our body can obtain energy

a. food
b.Stored food energy (glycogen in liver, or body fat)

But here’s the CRITICAL point. You can only get energy from one or the other, but not both at the same time.

Last but not least, the objective is to keep insulin low.

Last edited by bluesinger : Fri, Sep-08-17 at 07:31.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-08-17, 17:07
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks all! Getting used to this idea of not worrying as much about the calories isn't as easy as it sounds. It goes against a lifetime of (failed) dieting. You'd think that I could just accept the fact that what I had been doing before was wrong, but it's tough!
Mike
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-08-17, 17:50

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Welcome, Mike. There are a couple of Fung threads on this site - a current one:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=472377

and its predecessors, both filled with information:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...549#post9099549
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...63&page=1&pp=15
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-08-17, 19:52

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
My favorite messages:
1. What you eat and when you eat
2. There are really two different places where our body can obtain energy

a. food
b.Stored food energy (glycogen in liver, or body fat)

But here’s the CRITICAL point. You can only get energy from one or the other, but not both at the same time.

Last but not least, the objective is to keep insulin low.

I wonder if that's why my waking has changed. I used to quote from Theodore Roethke's poem to explain how difficult it was for me to wake up: "I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow." But now my eyes pop open by 6 am & I can't stay in bed. I don't eat after 2-3 pm, so my fasting time is longer than it used to be.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-08-17, 19:57

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mef623
Thanks all! Getting used to this idea of not worrying as much about the calories isn't as easy as it sounds. It goes against a lifetime of (failed) dieting. You'd think that I could just accept the fact that what I had been doing before was wrong, but it's tough!
Mike

Just give it time and an open mind. Most of the things you've been taught up to this point have served a good purpose, You're still alive!

Don't throw everything out, keep what seems useful for you.

Stay calm and sour cream and chive on Mike
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Sep-10-17, 18:39
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
Just give it time and an open mind. Most of the things you've been taught up to this point have served a good purpose, You're still alive!

Don't throw everything out, keep what seems useful for you.

Stay calm and sour cream and chive on Mike

I have to admit, not being afraid to eat sour cream is a bonus.

Mike
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Sep-10-17, 20:27

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mef623
Mike

One thing about calories.....when you eat very low carb, and jettison most of the carbs you could eat (except the fairly benign green ones such as the allotted lettuce, spinach, things like that), your appetite will be dramatically reduced downwards. LC food is satisfying more quickly, and lasts longer, so the end result is that you eat many fewer calories than you would eat if you were eating lots of different carbs. I'm sometimes shocked at how low my calories can end up, even though I'm totally full and couldn't eat more. This way of eating is more like nature intended...you suddenly start sensing your body's signals, including that of satiety. So you are less likely to overeat....it's HARD to overeat these LC foods because of the satiety factor.

I never count calories, but I do track everything because I want to keep track of carbs and fat, mostly. In the process I see the calories, and it's nowhere near what I used to eat when I was eating carbs. Carbs are calorie devils!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Oct-26-17, 15:52

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 246/246/150 Female 70"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I spent the last couple of months watching Dr. Fung's videos on YouTube and his IDM site. I think what he says makes a lot of sense, and certainly explains why none of my previous (low calorie, low fat, more exercise) weight loss efforts ever worked long term.

I have had some experience in intermittent fasting, done for religious reasons during Lent for the past few years. I would eat just 1 meal a day on weekdays, then have 3 meals a day on Saturdays and Sundays. The first 2-3 days fasting are hard, then it becomes like a habit. I bought into that whole "starvation mode" concept (which Dr. Fung debunks), so I actually thought fasting was causing my metabolism to slow down. Too bad, because if I continued the fasting after Lent, and coupled it with a low carb diet, I would probably already be at my goal weight today!