Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Sep-08-17, 15:30

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Anybody else poor enough as a kid to remember the taste of coffee-mate on cornflakes?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Sep-09-17, 05:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205.5/171.0/155 Female 5 5
BF:
Progress: 68%

I never thought drinking a good, satisfying cup of coffee would be so complicated and controversial. I might as well go back to heavy cream and drink it less often...I am also counting calories as well as carbs so that kinda sucks.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Sep-09-17, 08:31

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 156/120/125 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappaOne
I never thought drinking a good, satisfying cup of coffee would be so complicated and controversial. I might as well go back to heavy cream and drink it less often...I am also counting calories as well as carbs so that kinda sucks.

^^^ THIS^^^

I find myself stressing over my 'relaxing' cup of morning coffee all the time!

Should I cut back on cream (my preference is 2 cups with a lot of HWC in each), do half coconut oil, black so I don't mess up my overnight fast, no coffee at all ... too many calories? too much dairy? I try to just let it all go, but that doesn't help the decision making dilemma.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Sep-09-17, 08:44

BF:

I find I can be happy with as little as a teaspoon of heavy cream--but I have to use a little more sweetener, I use a tablet form with no carbohydrate bulking agent. There's a trade off, a couple of tablespoons of heavy cream and I can skip the sweetener, as I decrease the cream, the sweetener becomes more important. Whole 'nother can of worms.

You gotta just take what you can use, and leave the rest, we have no end of opinions/things that work for us personally here. I have a long list of things I'd rather by stricken by than worry about.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Sep-09-17, 09:03

Plan: Carbs <30g/day
Stats: 131/127/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Quote:

Trappaone,

I don't know if you saw my post about Nutpod, but the nut-based creamers are usually pretty low in calories. Unsweetened nut milks are as well (even lower, actually).
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Sep-09-17, 09:11
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:
I never thought drinking a good, satisfying cup of coffee would be so complicated and controversial. I might as well go back to heavy cream and drink it less often...

This is exactly what I would do. When someone starts out on Atkins, they don't count calories. If you find you're following the rules, eating to satisfaction but still not losing, count portions, not calories. Eat real food. The lower-cal version of virtually everything screws you in two ways: the ingredients are unhealthy, and they are less satisfying and/or trigger cravings, making it even harder to consume less. Other examples: salad dressings, cheeses. Read the ingredients. You're way better off having smaller portions of the real deal.

I hear you on the coffee thing. I work for Tim Hortons. I'm allowed to drink all the coffee I want at work all day. I choose it strategically, I guess you could say. It's an excellent appetite suppressant for me and I get "coffeed-out" pretty quickly. But if I was one of those pot-a-day triple-triple folks, I'd definitely be in trouble weight-wise.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Sep-09-17, 17:17

Plan: ≤ 20 carbs & IF
Stats: 292/235/170 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Anybody else poor enough as a kid to remember the taste of coffee-mate on cornflakes?

Not as a kid, but I remember making those kind of concoctions not long after I moved away from home and had to start buying my own groceries. For some reason it took me a while to get the priorities of my budget in proper order and to stop running out of money the day after I got paid each week.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Sep-10-17, 05:59

Stats: 205.5/171.0/155 Female 5 5
BF:
Progress: 68%

My canadian friends use fake coffee creemer on their cereal even when I offer real milk.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Sep-10-17, 06:10

BF:

I have a little health tip for them, sometimes if I feel like something vaguely cereal-like, I'll pour some heavy cream on walnuts or pecans and add a little splenda and cinnamon.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-17, 16:48
Registered Member

Stats: 188/179/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

I have wondered if cream in my coffee is slowing my weight loss. But I'd rather have slower weight loss than eat coal tar derivatives and hydrogenated fat in my coffee. I will not give up cream. I tried almond milk and it is ghastly. I can't use soy milk, and I don't want coconut tasting coffee. So it's back to cream. What I did was cut down coffee to no more than two cups a day and just use whipping cream which has fewer grams of carbs than half and half. And I use as little as possible. Yes, I tried black coffee but never lasted more than one morning. There's no way.