Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Oct-05-17, 11:21

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 220/126/132 Male 65in
BF:
Progress: 107%

Did not reply this earlier. Reader discretion is advised.

Below research was focused on "Breast Cancer Recurrence." My family has a lot of Breast Cancer survivors which forced me to pay real attention on researches in this area.

We do not know the effect on normal healthy person.

Basically, it discourages people eating multiple meals per day.
It encourages people eating one meal per day. So people can fast 13+ hours per day. The reasoning here is if it can help "Cancer Recurrence Reduction", it might help "Cancer Occurrence Reduction."

https://health.ucsd.edu/news/releas...recurrance.aspx

"Short Overnight Fasting Linked to Increased Risk of Breast Cancer Recurrence"

"Researchers suggest increasing duration of nightly fasting may improve prognosis"

"In patients with breast cancer, a short overnight fast of less than 13 hours was associated with a statistically significant, 36 percent higher risk of breast cancer recurrence and a non-significant, 21 percent higher probability of death from the disease compared to patients who fasted 13 or more hours per night, report University of California, San Diego School of Medicine researchers."

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluej
Just as an aside Dr Atkins wrote

"Eat either three regular-size meals a day or four or five smaller meals. Do not skip meals or go more than six waking hours without eating."

I started out on Atkins and I thank him for a wonderful plan. I have changed my plan a little since then to suit my own lifestyle now and it includes intermittent fasting
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Oct-06-17, 02:47

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I added fasting to my diet for the same reason, with the occasional extended fast per Dr. Thomas Seyfried's advice. Found my Fitness had a good interview with Dr Patterson on YouTube with more detail about the study you linked.
https://youtu.be/8qlrB84xp5g
Dr Fung's new pilot podcast included a case study of a patient adding fasting and Ketogenic diet as adjuvant therapy for breast cancer. http://2ketodudes.com/show.aspx?episode=84
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Oct-06-17, 13:35

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

Just a thought here....I remember my first real diet effort was in 2000, when I did 12 weeks of the Body For Life program. That program said to eat 6 little meals per day (for example, one "meal" might be an apple with a piece of string cheese). No matter how I tried, I simply could NOT eat that much, that often. It drove me nuts. I might manage 5 of these little meals, but more often 4 was all I could do, including one in the evening. Now I was also doing an intensive exercise program 6 days a week, and I did drop 25 pounds in 12 weeks, but no way could I sustain that way of eating and exercising for life in order to maintain. Of course, the dominant thing in those days was that notion that eating frequently pumped up your rate of metabolism, as well as an intensive rate of exercise, but I don't buy that any more. If your body is ALWAYS busy digesting food, when does it repair? When can it burn fat? I just don't personally believe that theory now. And I lose weight far more quickly by NOT doing frequent, intensive exercise such as I did back in 2000. The light bulb went on in my head in 2003 when I first tried Atkins...I had a sprained shoulder from a ski fall, and did Atkins for maybe 6 weeks, lost about 10 lbs effortlessly, and did zero exercise of any kind. It was all about the food I ate (and didn't eat!!) And I felt more fantastic than I'd ever felt before, too, and that was a real revelation! That's when I started reading up seriously on low carb and I've stuck with it ever since (with varying levels of compliance, of course, but still with LC principles strongly in my mind).

Dr. Fung's lectures absolutely make total sense to me, the idea that one is either in a feeding or fasted state. And the fasted state is when the body repairs and burns fat. Instinctively that makes more sense to me. I've read so many great things about the benefits of spending more time in a fasted state, and it all rings true with me. I can say I definitely feel better not eating so much, and eating in response to true hunger, and not overeating.

Last edited by CMCM : Fri, Oct-06-17 at 13:41.
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Oct-06-17, 13:51
Registered Member

Plan: OMAD intermittent fasting
Stats: 200/173/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 49%

I am in LOVE with intermittent fasting, one meal a day. I work overnights so usually eat my one meal around 11:30 on work days, a little later on days off. It has taken all of the compulsive thoughts of food away, saved me money that can be used to buy really delicious food for when I do eat, and allowed me to eat until I am satisfied when I do eat. In fact the problem I sometimes have is getting enough calories in one meal without feeling uncomfortably full. I have solved that by eating a lot of calorie dense foods that are not as filling and also taking about an hour to eat. After the first 2 days I stopped being hungry and sometimes eat just because I know I should. Belly fat is down and I feel great!
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Oct-06-17, 16:39

Plan: ≤ 20 carbs & IF
Stats: 292/235/170 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

Quote:
Originally Posted by scintillad
I am in LOVE with intermittent fasting, one meal a day. I work overnights so usually eat my one meal around 11:30 on work days, a little later on days off. It has taken all of the compulsive thoughts of food away, saved me money that can be used to buy really delicious food for when I do eat, and allowed me to eat until I am satisfied when I do eat.

I agree 100%! The other thing for me regarding that "one meal" is the time I spend all day thinking about it and planning it! That's almost as fun as eating it I take my time and slowly prepare it and I try to do something different every night.

I work at home, I'm semi-retired but my wife still works full time; I have the extra time to spend in preparation. She always eats a quick breakfast and takes her lunch so coming home to a nice dinner has been a treat for her too.
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Oct-06-17, 19:55

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by scintillad
I am in LOVE with intermittent fasting, one meal a day. I work overnights so usually eat my one meal around 11:30 on work days, a little later on days off. It has taken all of the compulsive thoughts of food away, saved me money that can be used to buy really delicious food for when I do eat, and allowed me to eat until I am satisfied when I do eat. In fact the problem I sometimes have is getting enough calories in one meal without feeling uncomfortably full. I have solved that by eating a lot of calorie dense foods that are not as filling and also taking about an hour to eat. After the first 2 days I stopped being hungry and sometimes eat just because I know I should. Belly fat is down and I feel great!

Good for you, keep it going! As long as you continue this way, you won't have trouble and it will stay easy! Nothing like that belly fat going down!!