Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-17, 20:39

Plan: ≤ 20 carbs & IF
Stats: 292/235/170 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

I'm new to this also. I just completed my third week of less than 20 carbs per day. By the beginning of the third week I discovered I was simply not hungry in the mornings and started skipping breakfast, but I was starving by noon, often when I was out and about. Now I eat a good breakfast whether I am hungry or not and find it very easy to skip lunch which works better for me.

Yesterday, I did not even feel hungry at dinner time so I decided to try skipping dinner. I did not sleep well, I was restless all knight and did not feel well when I woke up. I felt much better after breakfast so I probably won't try skipping two meals again for a while.

Just my two cents
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-17, 00:32

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I always time my one to two hour eating window so that I am not hungry when I go to bed. Mid afternoon works for me. Before I reached my sixties I was a heavy sleeper and don't do insomnia well at all.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-17, 09:07

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonBill
Yesterday, I did not even feel hungry at dinner time so I decided to try skipping dinner. I did not sleep well, I was restless all night and did not feel well when I woke up. I felt much better after breakfast so I probably won't try skipping two meals again for a while.

Just my two cents

They often say that smelling food cooking or seeing good food can make you start feeling hungry. That happens with me. Sometimes I think I'm not hungry at dinner but planning and cooking my dinner make me start to feel hungry. It should be true hunger, because in most instances I have not eaten for 6 hours or so.

Sometimes if I feel hungry close to bedtimes I will eat something small, like a piece of deli turkey, or a slice of cheese. It's enough to quiet my stomach.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-17, 09:31

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaCarolSue
They often say that smelling food cooking or seeing good food can make you start feeling hungry. That happens with me. Sometimes I think I'm not hungry at dinner but planning and cooking my dinner make me start to feel hungry. It should be true hunger, because in most instances I have not eaten for 6 hours or so.

Sometimes if I feel hungry close to bedtimes I will eat something small, like a piece of deli turkey, or a slice of cheese. It's enough to quiet my stomach.

I can handle that at home, but away from home can sometimes be difficult. Our church has a once-a-month pot luck after the evening mass. I enjoy going to talk with people, but usually don't eat. But at the last pot luck, seeing the food did set me off. I ate a small amount of low carb food, but it still affected my fbg the next morning. So I'm going to have to be stronger next time - with the help of herb tea or sf gum.
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Aug-31-17, 14:43

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 210/178.2/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

How often and the length of an intermittent fast also depends how insulin resistant one is. I've been struggling with my weight for more than 20 years and think I'm pretty insulin resistant. Good weeks I do 36 hour fasts 2 -3 times per week. I also try to eat within a small window.

How much fasting I do depends upon how I feel. The Fasting Book by Jimmoy Moore and Dr. Fung has been a wonderful resource for me.
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Sep-14-17, 06:21

Plan: LCHF/IF
Stats: 202/194/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

Over the past month, I started IF and have had good results. I stop eating at 8P, and just have herbal tea after that, and start eating again between 2p-3p, so fast for around 18hrs and eat between in 6hr window. I break my fast with a Kale shake, then an hour later a large salad with some protein and full fat dressing. For dinner I typically have some protein and vegetables around 6p. Then I make a blender full of Kale shake, pack half for lunch the next day and have the other half around 7p. This method has broken my weight stall.

Kathy
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Sep-14-17, 08:12

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by geobom
Over the past month, I started IF and have had good results. I stop eating at 8P, and just have herbal tea after that, and start eating again between 2p-3p, so fast for around 18hrs and eat between in 6hr window. I break my fast with a Kale shake, then an hour later a large salad with some protein and full fat dressing. For dinner I typically have some protein and vegetables around 6p. Then I make a blender full of Kale shake, pack half for lunch the next day and have the other half around 7p. This method has broken my weight stall.

Kathy

Looks like a sound method. It's similar to how I'm eating, and it's worked well for me. I am never hungry in between meals, and can eat to satiety using this approach.
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Sep-14-17, 08:37

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by geobom
Over the past month, I started IF and have had good results. I stop eating at 8P, and just have herbal tea after that, and start eating again between 2p-3p, so fast for around 18hrs and eat between in 6hr window.

I started IF a while back & found I had to tinker with my eating window. What works best for me is not eating after lunch - which is any time between 1 & 3 - and eating a good breakfast. If I wait too long in the morning to eat my fbg goes way up, as it does when I eat in the evening. I had a cup of tea last night that bits of fruit in it. I didn't think anything of it until I checked my bg before going to bed. Holy cow! It doesn't take much to raise my bg!

I'm sticking to my regular herbal tea from now on.

Unfortunately for me, unlike Rob & others, I still get plenty hungry. But it's much easier to deal with than the old carb-induced hunger - that was horrible!
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Sep-15-17, 11:13

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 230/165/160 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 93%
Default 2nd week of IF

2nd week of IF

Schedule: Started with 16 / 8, fasting 4 hours after dinner, 8 hours sleeping and 4 hours after waking. Trying 17 / 7 this week, delaying my first meal to 5 hours after waking.

Meals: Started with 3 meals in the 8 hour window. Lunch and dinner were at normal times, with breakfast delayed. This week I am combining breakfast and lunch and leaving dinner at the usual time. Too soon to evaluate, but so far it seems like a good plan.

Snacks: With the compressed feeding window, I haven’t found a need for snacks. The main reason I wanted to try IF was to eliminate the after dinner snacking. Weather it is a physical effect of fasting, or just a mental effect of not having that option, I haven’t needed the evening snack.

Fasting rules: I have seen a lot of videos and comments discussing what is allowed or does not break the fast, during the fasting period. Even Dr. Jason Fung allows bone broth and a couple teaspoons of cream during the fasting period. I am not sure if this is based on actual science that they do not slow down the benefits of fasting, or just a recognition that not allowing them would rule out fasting for a lot of people. I had been checking my blood sugar prior to trying IF, just as an experiment as to how different foods affect me. I saw a much larger increase in blood glucose after a tbls of cream in my coffee or drinking homemade chicken broth (no vegetables) than from a low carb meal. For this reason, for now, I am only drinking water, maybe a black coffee, during the fasting period.

Ketosis: I have never seen much of a reaction from keto sticks. Even so, I assumed I was in ketosis based on eating below 40 carbs and seeing articles or videos saying the sticks are not accurate. I have been following Atkins 72 for 3 weeks prior to starting IF last week and I now see the sticks turning purple. I am not sure if that means I was not in ketosis before, if the change is from Atkins 72, from IF or the combination. Weather or not I had been in ketosis is not really important, as I had lost a lot of weight either way, but it is curious and I am there now.

Comment: It has only been a week, so probably not fair to try to evaluate results but so far so good. The goal was to eliminate the after dinner snacking, so at least for the past week, it was successful. I can say I have not seen any other benefits yet, but I had already reached my goal weight, so I am not sure if I should expect to lose more just by adding IF. While I do some light exercise, I do not do any high intensity exercise so the benefits such as regulating blood sugar, hormones, etc., may not be obvious.

Last edited by dcc0455 : Fri, Sep-15-17 at 17:23.
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Sep-24-17, 13:26

Plan: ≤ 20 carbs & IF
Stats: 292/235/170 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

I posted to this thread about a month ago when I 'tried' a 24 hour fast and had a bad experience but I was only about 3 weeks into low carb.

I just now completed week seven and wanted to take some extra steps to make sure I met my weight loss goal. I skipped breakfast and lunch two days in a row this past week and it was very easy. I was not even feeling very hungry by the time dinner rolled around - but had a great time preparing it!

Becoming more fat adapted has definitely made fasting more enjoyable for me.
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Sep-24-17, 18:48

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

IF is like exercise. You build up to it and increase duration slowly during multiple fasts, and you become better adapted over time. You're experiencing that now.
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Sep-24-17, 22:04

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

I like a certain level of fasting and find it convenient and easy to do. I'm completely fat adapted, I'll add, so hunger is rarely an issue. I typically manage a 14 to 16 hour fast every single day anyway because I like to eat dinner somewhat early (5 to 6 pm) and then don't eat again until somewhere between 10 and 12 a.m. the next day depending on various factors. I don't actually care when I eat because I don't usually wake up all that hungry. Occasionally (once every week to week and a half) it seems easy and convenient (and probably beneficial) to just go 24 hours, which for me is dinner one day to dinner to next. I also never want or eat more than twice a day, usually within about a 6 hour eating window. I've done as much as a 40 hour fast in the past, and that did get a bit harder. I also didn't see any particular benefit to me for going that long so I probably won't repeat it.

Today was interesting as I had decided to do a 24 hour fast starting yesterday dinner at 6 pm. I did a strenuous hour workout at the gym this morning with plenty of energy, and then we went up to Tahoe to do an 18 mile round trip bike ride, fairly strenuous, and I was also fine with that in my fasted state. All I'd had was a small bit of coffee, and that did the job with any hunger I had. I had dinner at the 23.5 hour mark, but wasn't all that hungry prior to eating, just mild hunger which was sporadic and didn't last all that long. Dinner was a Cobb salad, with lettuce, chicken, bacon, about a 1/4 avocado, a few slices of tomato, and a half boiled egg. Not a huge salad, but it was perfect. No hunger after that.

I watched those two Cereal Killers films on Diet Doctor that discussed physical exertion (bike rides in particular) done on total low carb food (the only real carbs eaten seemed to be nuts), so I found this an interesting experiment. I ski all winter with no energy problems using an egg-bacon breakfast for fuel, which is plenty for the 5 or so hours I will typically ski. I'll eat breakfast around 7 am, drive up to ski for 1.5 hours, ski for 5 hours, then have an early dinner at 4 to 4:30 p.m. and all is good. Back in the days when I ate carbs for energy for skiing, it was a different story and I had to refuel a lot during the day and it was an up down thing with massive hunger.

In any case, I think implementing various fasting protocols are very beneficial overall.
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Oct-04-17, 05:23
Registered Member

Plan: keto
Stats: 242/233/187 Male 180cm
BF:
Progress:

I also started fasting on weekdays between 7pm (after dinner) and 12pm next day (lunch). I feel it really benefits me.
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Oct-04-17, 10:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, IF
Stats: 266/253.4/150 Female 5'1" inches
BF:
Progress: 11%

I've had MUCH success fasting in the past and I just started it this go round. I love the feeling of control that IF gives me. I'm in control of my hunger and eating, not my body. IF also helps with my bg and it helps keep my binging under control. Of course, staying strictly on plan is a factor for successfully IF'ng. I eat 1xday, I'm cutting out eating after 4p, so anytime prior to that is all good. I dont' have a set time this time, but that's ok.
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Oct-04-17, 11:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketopaul
I also started fasting on weekdays between 7pm (after dinner) and 12pm next day (lunch). I feel it really benefits me.

Me too! I fast 8 pm ---> noon the next day, and it helps keep everything in balance.