Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-17, 14:24

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by penelope85
There is so much conflicting info out there. It's overwhelming. I believe in the original book, Dr. Atkins said you shouldn't go more that six hours without eating. And of course you always hear that it's better for your metabolism to eat several small meals a day. But then all this initial research, along with anecdotal evidence, that IF has dramatically positive results for metabolism, blood sugar, weight loss, brain function etc. I'm torn!!!

Are you sure that's what he said? Most people go longer than than just sleeping! Perhaps he meant between meals. I've noticed that I go a little crazy if I don't eat for more than 6 hours between breakfast & lunch. But I have no problem with 6 hours or more before bedtime. I'm still trying to figure out if it's physical, or just the mindset that I should heat 5 or 6 hours after breakfast.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Aug-26-17, 12:32

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 220/126/132 Male 65in
BF:
Progress: 107%

I don't see that is a possible daily routine.

If Dr. Atkins eats before go to bed, Dr. Atkins has to climb out of the bed after 6 hours sleep and eats again to satisfy Dr. Atkins's six hours eating rules.

So either you read it wrong or Dr. Atkins made a mistake.

Quote:
There is so much conflicting info out there. It's overwhelming. I believe in the original book, Dr. Atkins said you shouldn't go more that six hours without eating. And of course you always hear that it's better for your metabolism to eat several small meals a day. But then all this initial research, along with anecdotal evidence, that IF has dramatically positive results for metabolism, blood sugar, weight loss, brain function etc. I'm torn!!!
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Aug-26-17, 13:41
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
I agree with the comments that all should become fat adapted with a healthy LCHF protocol first before trying anything else. Many want to accelerate things, and there's really no need if you're staying consistent with your approach. Get through the transition completely, and this may take 3-6 months. Get comfortable with a LCHF WOE. When you're totally adapted and have a routine that you know won't change, you are much better positioned to try other things, IF being one.
That combination described has totally changed my health for the better. What he said.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Aug-26-17, 14:07

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Up until the late 1960s, three square meals with no snacks was thought to be the best. The idea of eating several small meals a day instead did not come into vogue until the low-fat low-cal nutritionists found that their clients were all starving 2 hrs after eating their carb-based fodder. So they divided calories into mini-meals with no real science behind it. I followed this advice and it just made me fatter and thinking about food all the time and the mini-meals were never satiating.

I also found IF easiest once totally adapted to HFLC eating. In fact I often IF'ed unintentionally before I'd even heard about it since I was very satiated, not hungry and had skipped a meal or two without even noticing it.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Aug-26-17, 14:39

Plan: aitkinish
Stats: 172/140/120 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 62%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godhelpme
I have heard great success abput intermittent fasting and was wondering how it works? What hours do you eat? Also, what do I do if I am on a set schedule during the day in terms of eating?

I have found what works for me is that I do not eat after 6 p.m and breakfast is not eaten until 6:30 a.m

Quite easy actuary since my lunch must be at 11:30a.m
I eat breakfast by 6:30 lunch at 11:30 and dinner at 5:30/ 6:00p.m

No snacks at all. EVER!!

I have added coffee with 1 tbls butter and 2 Tbls HWP to my morning coffee. That seems so take care of the hungriness until lunch
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Aug-26-17, 18:34

Plan: LCHF / IF
Stats: 333/113/138 Female 5'6"
BF:BMI 56/18/22
Progress: 113%

Just as an aside Dr Atkins wrote

"Eat either three regular-size meals a day or four or five smaller meals. Do not skip meals or go more than six waking hours without eating."

I started out on Atkins and I thank him for a wonderful plan. I have changed my plan a little since then to suit my own lifestyle now and it includes intermittent fasting
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-17, 08:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286.8/257.7/190 Female 70 inches  (5'10")
BF:
Progress: 30%

Thank you, bluej...sorry to confuse anyone. I meant six waking hours. I certainly did not believe Dr. Atkins meant for anyone to get up in the middle of the night and eat. Lol.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-17, 08:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286.8/257.7/190 Female 70 inches  (5'10")
BF:
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Up until the late 1960s, three square meals with no snacks was thought to be the best. The idea of eating several small meals a day instead did not come into vogue until the low-fat low-cal nutritionists found that their clients were all starving 2 hrs after eating their carb-based fodder. So they divided calories into mini-meals with no real science behind it. I followed this advice and it just made me fatter and thinking about food all the time and the mini-meals were never satiating.

I also found IF easiest once totally adapted to HFLC eating. In fact I often IF'ed unintentionally before I'd even heard about it since I was very satiated, not hungry and had skipped a meal or two without even noticing it.

Thanks. That's what I was wondering, whether or not there is any real science behind the idea that eating so frequently increases your metabolism, as we've been told. It makes sense though that if you're eating a diet high in carbs and low in calories, you'd have to eat more often to not be starving. I have experimented a little in the last few days with intermittent fasting and I'm amazed, just as I was after the first two weeks of induction generally, at how little hunger I feel, and how quickly it goes away if I just hold off for a little bit. Before eating low carb, I would've been lightheaded and dizzy before I could've ever made it to 24hrs, unless of course I was completely sedentary during that period. The satiety this woe gives me is just astonishing. I'm not sure I'll commit totally to IF right now, but I may do it every so often, since thus far, it hasn't proven that difficult.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-17, 08:30

BF:

Quote:
That's what I was wondering, whether or not there is any real science behind the idea that eating so frequently increases your metabolism, as we've been told.

I wonder if the difference starts in the people, not the diet. There's no way I can eat more than 2 meals a day without gaining weight & having my bg go up - & I can do that only on lchf.

OTOH, my husband can eat 3 meals & small snacks between them & never gain an ounce. That was both before lc & after. He eats more carbs than I do as he isn't diabetic, but those carbs are mostly fruit - he rarely eats sugar or wheat, tho he used to.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-17, 09:17
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Why fasting works according to Dr. Fung.

The diagrams on this page make it clear why eating less frequently is healthy. I won't try to explain because he does it so much better.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-17, 12:06

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

When I lived alone, I ate breakfast and lunch, but rarely ate dinner. Didn't want to cook just for me, and was rather sedentary in the evenings. So I was doing IF without really realizing what it was. I stayed thin. After marrying and having a family, dinner came back into my life, and brought about 80 lbs with it, along with heart disease and diabetes.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-17, 12:08

Quote:
Thank you, bluej...sorry to confuse anyone. I meant six waking hours. I certainly did not believe Dr. Atkins meant for anyone to get up in the middle of the night and eat. Lol.

But there are people who do it!! LOL
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-17, 12:21

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaCarolSue
But there are people who do it!! LOL

Boy, do I understand that! I'm a recovering binge eater & I don't think I ever went 6 hours without eating - even at night. On my bad days I'd be eating right up to lights out.

I'm amazed that I can now go so long without eating! Thanks Dr. B, Dr. Atkins, and Dr. Fung!
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-17, 15:05

Plan: p:e
Stats: 298/149/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaCarolSue
When I lived alone, I ate breakfast and lunch, but rarely ate dinner. Didn't want to cook just for me, and was rather sedentary in the evenings. So I was doing IF without really realizing what it was. I stayed thin. After marrying and having a family, dinner came back into my life, and brought about 80 lbs with it, along with heart disease and diabetes.

Interesting. Just thinking about the flack women of my generation would take for gaining weight. Once we are married we just "let ourselves go."

Maybe it is more of a case that our eating habits were no longer our own. For me as a single woman, my pattern was just drinking diet pepsi then having some food when hunger struck occasionally, without any obsession or thought to whether it was "meal time." Married, I would prepare more food more frequently. And back then it didn't occur to me not to eat with my husband and later my family. Thankfully, at this point we have a new normal. My family doesn't even blink when I sit at a meal I've prepared and have just coffee, tea, or water when I'm not hungry.
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-17, 18:39

You have done well, Ohamy...lost half of yourself!