Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone


Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-17, 04:19
teaser's Avatar
teaser teaser is online now
Senior Member
Posts: 11,380
 
Plan: ketosis/IF
Stats: 190/158/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 89%
Location: Ontario
Default

Spinach is high in oxalic acid, this can bind with calcium and prevent absorption. Doesn't seem to be a problem with magnesium, the magnesium in spinach is well absorbed. I only know this because I also rely heavily on spinach, started wondering about mineral absorption.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-17, 06:37
thud123's Avatar
thud123 thud123 is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 4,176
 
Plan: ~25NC/IF
Stats: 342.2/185.9/000 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by penelope85
Just curious, is there some science behind your suggestion? Or anecdotal evidences? I only ask because I've never seen it mentioned and I am loathe to give up my coffee if it is for naught!!

The only science or evidence I can offer is my own experience. Often it is good to give up things we love or those things that we consider "mine". By doing so it can show how mind works. Will giving up your coffee for a week eliminate your cramps? You'll have to let us know

I wish you well and relief from the pain of leg cramps at night.
Reply With Quote
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-17, 20:54
penelope85 penelope85 is offline
Registered Member
Posts: 37
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286.8/257.7/190 Female 70 inches  (5'10")
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
How much magnesium do you take?

Jean


Well, I had assumed that the multivitamin I bought had 100% DV but I checked and it's only 25%. So I purchased extra strength magnesium today (125%) and I'm hoping that will help!
Reply With Quote
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-17, 20:59
penelope85 penelope85 is offline
Registered Member
Posts: 37
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286.8/257.7/190 Female 70 inches  (5'10")
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
The only science or evidence I can offer is my own experience. Often it is good to give up things we love or those things that we consider "mine". By doing so it can show how mind works. Will giving up your coffee for a week eliminate your cramps? You'll have to let us know

I wish you well and relief from the pain of leg cramps at night.


I bought magnesium today that is 125% daily value as opposed to the 25% in my multivitamin. If that does not help, I will consider giving up coffee. I see your point but I have no desire to do it to see how my mind works. Since I began atkins, I have exercised more self control than ever before. And now don't even miss the food I used to eat, for the most part. But since from everything I've read, two cups a day of coffee is not detrimental to my health and in some ways, beneficial, I will opt to keep it, for now. Like i said though, if all else fails, I will absolutely give it a try! Anyway, apologies, I tend to ramble. Thank you for the advice and for your kind words! 😊
Reply With Quote
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-17, 21:03
penelope85 penelope85 is offline
Registered Member
Posts: 37
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286.8/257.7/190 Female 70 inches  (5'10")
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Hi and welcome. I've struggled with this too, for a long time, mainly because I really don't like salty food.

I've had it bad for the last 5-6 weeks now that our non-AC house is hot and I'm sweating a lot; and what really seems to have helped for the last few weeks is a calcium/magnesium supplement that I actually bought by accident. Calcium is an electrolyte, too. Ever since I switched to the cal/mag, I've only had a few mild twitches, no full-on hit-the-ceiling cramps.

Also notable - I don't drink coffee once the house gets hot (so no cream, either) and I gave up cheese because my pants were getting too tight. I'm also not a big fan of the "veggie" sources of calcium. Hmmm.

On the subject of coffee, Thud might have been concerned about the diuretic effect of caffeine. IMO, though, 2 cups a day is something your body adapts to and it's not like you're massively dehydrating yourself. If you're concerned, you could always switch to decaf. Besides, coffee is actually a pretty decent source of potassium - over 300 mg in 20 fl oz.


Thank you! I had no idea coffee has any potassium at all. Go figure! I used to drink about six cups a day before atkins, because I was constantly tired from all the crap I was eating. Anyway, my multivitamin has calcium but I'll try adding more if upping the magnesium doesn't work. Thanks again.😊
Reply With Quote
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-17, 21:11
penelope85 penelope85 is offline
Registered Member
Posts: 37
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286.8/257.7/190 Female 70 inches  (5'10")
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeKeenLass
I'm in the same boat as Penelope. My leg cramps aren't quite as severe yet but it's going to be hard for me to quit coffee right now, on top of changing my eating. I don't think it's a crutch I can let go of quite yet. The multivitamin I take doesn't have much magnesium, so I guess I might look into getting a supplement. Do people eating LC tend to need to supplement with magnesium forever, or just during the transition to LC?


I wonder the same. Even though I plan on being in induction for at least another two month, will this continue during the phases of OWL and eventually maintenance as well?
Good luck to you! And I'll let you know if taking more magnesium helps me!
Reply With Quote
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-17, 21:14
penelope85 penelope85 is offline
Registered Member
Posts: 37
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286.8/257.7/190 Female 70 inches  (5'10")
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robynsnest
My right leg is fused, i Have no knee...
I have suffered terribly with cramps in my calf, cannot bend my leg to help relieve the cramps, often I have to run a hot hot bath, as hot as I ban stand. It's bad when I'm tired and when it's high humidity.... 500mg twice a day of magnesium seems to do the trick for me...

I'm so sorry to hear that, sounds miserable Glad you've found some relief from the cramps though. Taking a hot bath does help with the soreness but the worst cramps are usually while I'm trying to sleep so it's not practical all the time. Thanks for your input and I wish you the best!
Reply With Quote
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-17, 21:18
penelope85 penelope85 is offline
Registered Member
Posts: 37
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286.8/257.7/190 Female 70 inches  (5'10")
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb712
If my feet and ankles get cold, especially when I'm sleeping, they cramp up. I usually sleep in several layers of socks for that reason, but I find taking a magnesium pill before bed helps a lot. I take the recommended dose of 135 mg of mag citrate three times a day: when I wake up, in the late afternoon, and before bed. I find that spreading it out through the day works best for me.

P.S. Avocados are a great source of potassium and magnesium, so if you like them it's good to make them a regular part of your diet.

Hope you're feeling better soon!


I went swimming the other day and ended up having to get out because the cramps got so bad. I did attribute it to the fact that the water was colder than usual. I'm hoping upping the magnesium gives me some relief. This has definitely been the most undesirable part of this woe for me. As for avacados, I don't think I'm allowed to have them yet in induction, but I plan on trying them when I can. I've never had one because until just before I began atkins, I had always hated guacamole. But I tried it again after years and found my tastes has changed. Thank you, and best of luck to you!
Reply With Quote
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-17, 21:23
penelope85 penelope85 is offline
Registered Member
Posts: 37
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286.8/257.7/190 Female 70 inches  (5'10")
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
Salt, salt, salt.



If you are not taking in enough salt to balance the water you are drinking, the other electrolytes (potassium, calcium, magnesium, chloride) are going down the toilet. Literally.

Can you quantify (as in teaspoons) how much salt you are drinking each day? How many cups of chicken broth? Also, 100 oz of water per day may be excessive. Are you drinking to meet thirst or drinking more because you think it is good for you?

I'm not really sure how much sodium. I haven't a clue about conversion from mg to teaspoons and any sort of math makes my head hurt. 😜 But I can tell you I usually have 1 bottle of propel (200 something mg) and approx 2 cups of chicken broth, to which I even add about a tbsp of salt. As far as the water, I've alway been a big water drinker, even when I was eating terribly. I can't say I'm terribly thirsty often, but maybe because I never have a chance to be, as I pretty much always have water with me. I definitely don't force myself to drink it. From the little I've read, I assumed that at my weight, the amount I drink wouldn't be excessive. Although, I do go to the bathroom ridiculously often and not to be indelicate, but my urine is always nearly clear by the end of the day. I'd hate to think I need to cut back on water but what you're saying does make sense. Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-17, 21:26
penelope85 penelope85 is offline
Registered Member
Posts: 37
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286.8/257.7/190 Female 70 inches  (5'10")
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Sebo
Anecdotal n=1 (me) -- I must drink enough WATER daily or I get horribly debilitating cramps in my calves. I have to balance getting up once or twice in the night to pee, or being up for hours stomping around trying to get the calves to untie. three litres per day or else. And not all in the morning, some in the later afternoon (hence the getting up to pee). I do all the potassium, magnesium, etc, but without the straight water .....ooooeeee!

They're horrible right?? And when I try to stretch them for relief, the pain seems to magically move from my calves to my shins. I often get them in my feet too. Ugh. But I can definitely say I'm confident water isn't my issue. I've never had a problem drinking plenty of water, even in the darkest depths of my compulsive overeating and horrible food choices.
Im glad you found some relief, and thanks for replying!
Reply With Quote
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-17, 21:28
penelope85 penelope85 is offline
Registered Member
Posts: 37
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286.8/257.7/190 Female 70 inches  (5'10")
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
I drink mineral water in the Summer. I found athletic support knee socks help to prevent cramps, increasing circulation in the legs and reducing fatigue. I wear those during the day. When I used to get a painful cramp a large vibrator applied relaxed it. Walking on it can pull the muscle and cause soreness.

Thank you! I may give that a try. I used to have a vibrating heating pad that I loved but i seemed to have misplaced it. I've been thinking I should invest in another!
Reply With Quote
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-17, 21:30
penelope85 penelope85 is offline
Registered Member
Posts: 37
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286.8/257.7/190 Female 70 inches  (5'10")
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Spinach is high in oxalic acid, this can bind with calcium and prevent absorption. Doesn't seem to be a problem with magnesium, the magnesium in spinach is well absorbed. I only know this because I also rely heavily on spinach, started wondering about mineral absorption.

Thank you, I had no idea about that. I don't typically eat as many vegetables as what is allowed in induction, partly because of the carbs and partly because I'm just not a huge fan of them lol but spinach is definitely the most common.
Reply With Quote
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Aug-19-17, 04:37
cotonpal's Avatar
cotonpal cotonpal is online now
Posts: 3,244
 
Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/128/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 106%
Location: Vermont
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by penelope85
Well, I had assumed that the multivitamin I bought had 100% DV but I checked and it's only 25%. So I purchased extra strength magnesium today (125%) and I'm hoping that will help!


Penelope - There are many different forms of magnesium. Magnesium oxide is the cheapest form and the most common type found. It can also have a very strong laxative effect and is not as well absorbed as other forms. If that is what you are taking and it has that effect on you or does not appear to be helping you can try another form. I take 600 mg a day of magnesium glycinate. Magnesium oxide is a strong laxative for me. There is also magnesium malate, magnesium theonate, magnesium citrate. Assume nothing, research everything.

Jean
Reply With Quote
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Aug-19-17, 08:23
GRB5111's Avatar
GRB5111 GRB5111 is offline
Posts: 1,904
 
Plan: Ketogenic (LCHFKD)
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%
Location: Herndon, VA
Default

Like Jean, I started taking magnesium glycinate a few years ago, two in the morning, two in the evening. Readily absorbed, it has made all the difference and eliminated cramps. I know it works because if I forget to take my morning dose before a workout, I'll get some cramping in those circumstances.

Here's the brand I take, and it's readily available on that online super store that started out selling books:

Doctor's Best High Absorption Magnesium Glycinate Lysinate, 100% Chelated

I stay away from calcium, as I get plenty in my whole foods, but magnesium is one of the most common diet deficiencies that people have today due to farming practices that over many years have leached magnesium from soil.
Reply With Quote
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Aug-19-17, 08:48
Kristine's Avatar
Kristine Kristine is offline
Forum Moderator
Posts: 18,014
 
Plan: Primal
Stats: 165/149/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 80%
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
I stay away from calcium, as I get plenty in my whole foods, but magnesium is one of the most common diet deficiencies that people have today due to farming practices that over many years have leached magnesium from soil.

This is what I was going to say, too. It has nothing to do with being a LCer. Practically everyone is deficient. Water softeners and drinking a lot of bottled water that isn't remineralized - probably another reason.

I take Jamieson brand Mg (and now cal/mag). It has 3 or 4 different forms of Mg. The chelated brands are probably better, but I'm on a budget.

How much water vs salts you need to stay hydrated probably depends a lot on your climate. Where I am, it's humid. Where Mama Sebo is, it might be dry desert. (Is it?) I've worked in both extremes. Hmm. That might be my reading for today, to figure out how we sweat and hydrate differently when sweat doesn't evaporate like it should (high humidity).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 20:03.


Copyright © 2000-2017 Active Low-Carber Forums @ forum.lowcarber.org
Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.