Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-06-17, 05:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 213/205.4/130 Female 5'5.5
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Egg fast - ?

Thinking I would like to try this for a day or maybe a few days.

Anyone have advice for me? Searching the web now...

Found something about the need for a certain amount of fat with each meal?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-06-17, 05:17

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

No advice but a question: Why?

ps, I would think all eggs would have all the fat you'd need in the yolks maybe.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-06-17, 05:23
Registered Member

BF:

Well... because I've been letting my carbs creep over 20 a lot lately. Thought this might help me "reset" and... when I started this whole journey in March I laid out a plan of a reasonable 2 pounds a week goal so that by a few key dates - coming up! - I would be a certain weight. Since I had a 4 week stall in there, still trying to make up those pounds to get on track to the original plan.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-06-17, 05:24

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I've seen a tablespoon of butter per egg, sometimes as much as a tablespoon of cheese as well. I guess that must be grated, it's a funny way to measure cheese, otherwise.

If it works for you--maybe a more controlled macronutrient ratio ketogenic diet would, as well. Following those rules, carbs would come in at 1 percent, fat at 81 percent, that's pretty ketogenic unless somebody eats a massive quantity of eggs.

I see people criticize this hack on keto boards all the time, but to me it's just a simplified ketogenic diet.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-06-17, 05:45
Registered Member

BF:

Ok... I've seen T fat per egg and up to 1 oz of cheese and it looks like any cheese, not limited to just hard cheeses. The blog "I breathe I'm hungry" has a good 5 day plan, plus 2 day transition off. I don't really want to do 7 days. Maybe just 3. I'm already doing and love bullet proof coffee every morning, except I don't use MCT oil, I just use organic pure unrefined coconut oil by Dr. Bronner's. What I'm not looking forward to is the recommended 100oz of water per day!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-06-17, 05:55

BF:

It's not a patented plan, so I guess there's probably all sorts of variations. An ounce of cheese per egg? There must be an upper limit for cheese, though? Otherwise it would be more like a cheese fast, there's more protein in cheese than in eggs.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-06-17, 06:28

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCarber
Well... because I've been letting my carbs creep over 20 a lot lately. Thought this might help me "reset" and... when I started this whole journey in March I laid out a plan of a reasonable 2 pounds a week goal so that by a few key dates - coming up! - I would be a certain weight. Since I had a 4 week stall in there, still trying to make up those pounds to get on track to the original plan.

got it. I looked at your journal after I posted I'm all for experimentation and detachment from the results. Go for it!

ps, A thought occurred to me tho when you mentioned a reasonable 2 lbs loss per week and stall setting you back. Trying to playing catch-up might lead to bad habits. In my experience trying to control weight loss is kind of like trying to control the weather in two weeks. The weather will do what the weather does, with our without your plans

Good luck and keep searching for the path that is right for you. You may have to blaze your own.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-06-17, 11:49
Registered Member

BF:

Well... I should have checked the fridge before making my decision at 6am today. Not enough eggs to start today and won't have time to grocery shop until tonight. So... I had to suffer through some roast chicken, colossal shrimp and lobster bisque :-) that I picked up at the farmers market in between shuttling kids here, there and everywhere (including a quick hit to the comic book store for FREE COMIC BOOK DAY! a tradition in our household). And now that I have all that in the house... probably won't be ready to start until Monday. thanks Thud & Teaser for the replies. Will post an update when I start/finish on results. Will also log all my meals in my journal in case anyone else gets curious about trying it.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-06-17, 23:23
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Look up PSMF -- it works! It's relatively painless too. It's not for the long term though, just a few days/weeks. Bodybuilders use it for 'cutting' body-fat while preserving their muscle.

Me, I am beginning to believe a total fast, water only, for several days or longer is best. I have yet to do it though for very long. The latest studies indicate muscle is not lost, only fat and "starvation mode" is a myth. Benefits may include: fixing your high FBS, insulin resistance and high BP.

Last edited by mike_d : Sat, May-06-17 at 23:35.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-07-17, 04:21

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I agree with Mike, why worry about how many eggs, how much fat. A fast can help reset your insulin levels and BG quickly. You can have broth, tea, and no-cal beverages, but not with AS, on a fast.

Since you invited us to look at your journal and comment mine are:
1. you are overdoing the fat. A BPC is a substitute for breakfast and lunch, not the beverage. Though you don't do that everyday, when you do, it is not helping. No fat bombs either. Read this article and its follow-up linked at the end of article.

Don't force the fat: https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/201...-force-the-fat/

2. Remove the nuts. Though we don't count calories, calories do count. The tendency is to overeat nuts and they are loaded with calories. 3. No alcohol, even one really sets back the fat burning process for days. You don't list amounts but be sure you 4. limit the cheese to 3-4 oz (an ounce is about the size of a dice) Not much in other words. If you want to try something to restart weight loss..give up all dairy including all cheese and creams for a month and see what happens. 5. drop any LC fake bagel. Not only are fake breads high in total carbs, but those starches used in them trigger cravings. 6. A bite of cookie here, a dessert there, plus chocolate may not be much in carbs but they keep you from ever feeling satiety from the LC diet. That makes it harder to stick with, prevents you from being fat-adapted, and that keeps you from easily reducing quantities, an ultimate benefit of and how LC works.

I know, I sound really witchy, no fun at all, but you asked for some other things you could do to lose weight and there are many. Your journal indicates you are not eating anything like the Atkins 72 plan. If you want help with doing that correctly, join the Hard Core 72 Buddy group. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=474032
Post #2 has everything you need to know! Much is what I also mentioned about "one bite", no alcohol, etc. already, but Jo has listed all the good Dr Atkins quotes

Superstar Just Jo will help you understand the plan and get you back on track She is an inspiration to all who join that group

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, May-07-17 at 05:36.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-07-17, 07:45
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
Look up PSMF -- it works! It's relatively painless too. It's not for the long term though, just a few days/weeks. Bodybuilders use it for 'cutting' body-fat while preserving their muscle.

Me, I am beginning to believe a total fast, water only, for several days or longer is best. I have yet to do it though for very long. The latest studies indicate muscle is not lost, only fat and "starvation mode" is a myth. Benefits may include: fixing your high FBS, insulin resistance and high BP.

Thank you! I will look up PSMF. Really don't think I can ever do a water only fast. Glad you have found what works for you though!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-07-17, 08:06
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
I agree with Mike, why worry about how many eggs, how much fat. A fast can help reset your insulin levels and BG quickly. You can have broth, tea, and no-cal beverages, but not with AS, on a fast.

Since you invited us to look at your journal and comment mine are:
1. you are overdoing the fat. A BPC is a substitute for breakfast and lunch, not the beverage. Though you don't do that everyday, when you do, it is not helping. No fat bombs either. Read this article and its follow-up linked at the end of article.

Don't force the fat: https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/201...-force-the-fat/

2. Remove the nuts. Though we don't count calories, calories do count. The tendency is to overeat nuts and they are loaded with calories. 3. No alcohol, even one really sets back the fat burning process for days. You don't list amounts but be sure you 4. limit the cheese to 3-4 oz (an ounce is about the size of a dice) Not much in other words. If you want to try something to restart weight loss..give up all dairy including all cheese and creams for a month and see what happens. 5. drop any LC fake bagel. Not only are fake breads high in total carbs, but those starches used in them trigger cravings. 6. A bite of cookie here, a dessert there, plus chocolate may not be much in carbs but they keep you from ever feeling satiety from the LC diet. That makes it harder to stick with, prevents you from being fat-adapted, and that keeps you from easily reducing quantities, an ultimate benefit of and how LC works.

I know, I sound really witchy, no fun at all, but you asked for some other things you could do to lose weight and there are many. Your journal indicates you are not eating anything like the Atkins 72 plan. If you want help with doing that correctly, join the Hard Core 72 Buddy group. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=474032
Post #2 has everything you need to know! Much is what I also mentioned about "one bite", no alcohol, etc. already, but Jo has listed all the good Dr Atkins quotes

Superstar Just Jo will help you understand the plan and get you back on track She is an inspiration to all who join that group

Not witchy at all! Thanks for the all the advice I do appreciate it!

Chose the egg fast since there is still actual eating involved. I'm not good with water only or juice only, tried that in the past and it didn't work well.

I set out to do the Atkins '72, but the challenge is sticking to it.

My stall was back in March/April when I was more strict (prior to joining this forum). My stall broke after I went off plan for a few days. I've been losing the past few weeks, but was looking to lose more to make up for the stall weeks. My approach is to find the right balance for me to make sure this is sustainable long term. I know myself, my lifestyle. If I'm not happy I won't stick with it. Trying to figure out if there is a perfect blend of this type of cycle:
-on plan most days
-allowing for off day/or two
-working in short term bursts of more strict periods(such as the egg fast) to reset/catch up

If I figure all this out successfully, maybe I'll come up with my own WOE plan name :-)

Have a great day!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-07-17, 08:34

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Would never recommend any juice, fasting or not, and a fast is totally flexible. You might be surprised that if you do get into ketosis how easy it is to add periods in the day of not eating, what Dr. Westman calls Meal Timing. Dr. Atkins 1972 rules :
3. Don’t eat when you are not hungry.

But as you appear committed to an egg fast, a new version of it is Eggs and Bacon, all you want for two weeks, nothing else but black coffee, tea. Those two foods supposedly give a perfect F:P:C ratio. I have not tried it myself nor calculated a full day, but it would be unlikely that you don't become fat-adapted eating two healthy, nutritious foods.

You can find many threads on this forum about the value of "Cheat Days". I'm not a fan, particularly if you want to lose weight. Others are, you have to find what works for you.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, May-07-17 at 11:31.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, May-07-17, 08:44

BF:

As unlikely as it seems, people do win the lottery. The probability of going off-plan for a few days and the scale just sort of randomly becoming more cooperative, with being off plan being the cause, is actually not that unlikely, we are largely water, and variation in body water from day to day is generally greater than variation in body fat from week to week, in some cases from month to month.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-08-17, 06:31
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
As unlikely as it seems, people do win the lottery. The probability of going off-plan for a few days and the scale just sort of randomly becoming more cooperative, with being off plan being the cause, is actually not that unlikely, we are largely water, and variation in body water from day to day is generally greater than variation in body fat from week to week, in some cases from month to month.

I don't think it was random. The scale went down ~4lbs about 5 days of being back on the plan, following my off plan. The prior 4 weeks the scale did not move. Everyone is different and we really need to find our own unique plan.