Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-17, 09:10

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default Deeper than obesity: A majority of people is now overfat

Science Daily article:

Quote:
Researchers put forth the notion of overfat, a condition of having sufficient excess body fat to impair health. After review of current data and scientific studies they argue how, in addition to most of those who are overweight and obese, others falling into the overfat category include normal-weight people with characteristic risk factors for chronic and metabolic disease. This is the first effort to globally quantify those who are overfat versus overweight or obese.

Oh, Dr. Ancel Keys. How many people has your ambition tortured and killed?

Quote:
Just in time for those making New Year's resolutions, researchers take a closer look on the current data to suggest up to 76 percent of the world's population is overfat. This amounts to an astonishing 5.5 billion people.

"The overfat pandemic has not spared those who exercise or even compete in sports," says lead author of the study Dr. Philip Maffetone, CEO of MAFF Fitness Pty Ltd, who collaborated with Ivan Rivera-Dominguez, research assistant at MAFF and Paul B. Laursen, adjunct professor at the Auckland University of Technology.

The researchers put forth a specific notion of overfat, a condition of having sufficient excess body fat to impair health, in their recent research hypothesis & theory article published in the journal Frontiers in Public Health. Based on a new look into current data, they argue how, in addition to those who are overweight and obese, others falling into the overfat category include normal-weight people.
This leaves as little as 14 percent of the world's population with normal body-fat percentage, shows the analysis.

This is a welcome realization. So many people are active, look healthy; and then are stricken with a sudden health crisis. Usually metabolic in nature.

I've known two such fellows, active hikers and skiers; who suddenly died from heart attacks. Silent killer indeed.

They are inching up on the truth.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-17, 12:47

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

If only they would call it "overcarb". "Overcarbed"?

I didn't read the article, but what are the measures? good ones like BG, or less-good like BMI? Are they measuring lab numbers or outcomes?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-17, 14:39

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
I didn't read the article, but what are the measures? good ones like BG, or less-good like BMI? Are they measuring lab numbers or outcomes?

Quote:
"The overfat category includes normal-weight people with increased risk factors for chronic disease, such as high abdominal fat, and those with characteristics of a condition called normal-weight metabolic obesity," explains Maffetone.

normal-weight metabolic obesity = A metabolically obese normal weight subject (MONW) is a person who has normal weight and BMI, but display some metabolic characteristics that may increase the possibility of developing the metabolic syndrome, in the same way of obese individuals.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-17, 16:03

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I've known two such fellows, active hikers and skiers; who suddenly died from heart attacks. Silent killer indeed.

An old friend died of a heart attack while mountain climbing with his wife. He was in his early 50s & apparently healthy.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-17, 16:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
An old friend died of a heart attack while mountain climbing with his wife. He was in his early 50s & apparently healthy.

I know! I'm so sorry.

Which is another indictment of the wrong-headed thinking about metabolic illnesses. People eat the way they are told, exercise the way they are told, and have no idea they are in danger.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-17, 16:14

Plan: Atkins 72 Induction/zc
Stats: 185/170.5/135 Female 67
BF:32
Progress: 29%

It is really scary. I was thin most of my life. And poof - metabolism changes, weight creeps up and 15 years later - my "fat" percentage is 38%?? I mean, my BMI is only "overweight". But who has this much fat???

We are deceiving ourselves when we continue forward thinking this is ok. That we can keep eating and drinking and who cares if we're a bit thick. I CARE. It's NOT OK.

This time its forever.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-20-17, 17:17

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

Quote:

Well, he appeared healthy, but apparently was not. I started having heart problems 20 years ago. Luckily, I recognized symptoms each time and always got to the ER before I had a heart attack. I think many people have symptoms but don't recognize them as such. They can be very vague. It's not always crushing chest pains.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-20-17, 17:28

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaCarolSue
Well, he appeared healthy, but apparently was not.

Which is why I said "apparently" healthy. He & his wife were very active - a lot of hiking & climbing. Back when I knew him he liked his beer & ate what we all ate - which wasn't too healthy - but after he got married his wife kind of turned him around. Jim Fixx seemed healthy, too.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-20-17, 19:29

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Which is why I said "apparently" healthy. He & his wife were very active - a lot of hiking & climbing. Back when I knew him he liked his beer & ate what we all ate - which wasn't too healthy - but after he got married his wife kind of turned him around. Jim Fixx seemed healthy, too.

Bonnie this reminds me of a story my fiance has told me many times - back in the 70s while in grad school he was around many marathon and serious runners who were very well known in the city - they told him that "if you can run a mile you will never have a heart attack". And he told me how they would carb load before a race; I mean plates and plates of carbs. And I'm sure it wasn't limited to the pre-race. I just wonder...how are they now?
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-17, 03:24

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikemice
Bonnie this reminds me of a story my fiance has told me many times - back in the 70s while in grad school he was around many marathon and serious runners who were very well known in the city - they told him that "if you can run a mile you will never have a heart attack". And he told me how they would carb load before a race; I mean plates and plates of carbs. And I'm sure it wasn't limited to the pre-race. I just wonder...how are they now?

Good question! Research has linked endurance athletes with atrial fibrillation.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-...chronic-cardio/

http://www.medpagetoday.com/resourc...thletes/a/39504

So, for those dedicated to staying fit and thinking that distance running is a way to maintaining health, a big surprise. I was one of those. I finally concluded the hard way that exercise, while healthy, must be done in a sane way to mimic how the human body is designed. Endurance exercise (chronic cardio) is not an effective weight control method and does not improve life span. Sound nutrition is and always has been key. Unfortunately, we have been exposed to conflicting and damaging nutritional recommendations.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-22-17, 11:21

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

While I believe that exercise is a healthy habit to have, endurance exercise is a different story. It stresses the body which I don't think is good. At cardiac rehab I was told 30 min a day of moderate exercise. Then there's genetics to take into consideration. There's no guarantee. We can just do the best we can. Some people never exercise or eat healthy and still live a long life.