Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-17, 15:34
Registered Member

Plan: Primal
Stats: 165/112/112 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I wonder; how many times a day do you eat?

I shoot for 2 meals and a snack. Lunch about 11:30 am, dinner around 5:30 pm, and a snack around 7:30 pm. If I'm too hungry to make it until 11:30 for lunch, I have something like 5 almonds. Since I'm trying to avoid nuts for a while, I'm trying to do coffee with heavy cream or bulletproof coffee in the morning if I'm hungry before lunch time.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-17, 17:04
Registered Member

BF:

Could some of you who are successfully losing list a typical day of your eating habits? I'm still not losing (but at least I'm not gaining). I'm thinking I might need to do a few days to a week of keto. I don't want to do keto indefinitely, but maybe it would help me get over this hump.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 06:33

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

How are you doing? Like WereBear, I'm kinda surprised by that hunger in the morning. Bulletproof coffee has plenty of fat calories.

If you can handle it, you might try changing your meal schedule: eat breakfast. Bacon and eggs. Leftovers from dinner. More protein earlier in the day.

Everybody's different, as they say. For 15 years, I've eaten the famous One Minute Muffin for breakfast every day. Lots of recipes you can look up. It's a big slug of fiber, fat, and protein that completely satisfies. Just a thought!

Best wishes.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 07:15

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Here's what it looks like for me, right now, quoted from my journal;

Quote:
I've been measuring my food intake, just to keep protein at a certain level, without plugging it into fitday. Once I start measuring/weighing food, I get a bit OCD about it, which is a fairly useful trait when doing a targeted ketogenic diet. So what I ate yesterday is fairly representative of how I'm eating on the full calorie keto days. I'm allowed more cream if I want it, and I do take it some days.

Typical keto day;

celery 2 stalks
Spinach frozen 8 ounces
Cauliflower, raw 3 ounces
Hamburger 3 ounces
Heavy cream 10 ounces (by weight, not fluid).
Cheese, Cheddar or American 3 ounces
peanuts 1 ounce
Butter 1 ounce
4 packets splenda
1 teaspoon cocoa

Calories 1966 ( fat 180.8 grams) (carbs 23 grams)( protein 65.6 grams) (18.6 grams protein from vegetables).

I also use a cup of almond milk, mixed with 3 ounces of heavy cream, for "creamer" for my coffee and tea--I feel that cream is more satisfying if I eat it than if I drink it.
This tin of cocoa has lasted me forever. On a higher protein low carb diet--it might last me a week. But it might last me three days--not much time for a 250 gram container. I'm having the cocoa as a dessert--I add the peanut butter to an ounce or so of cream, the cocoa, and a packet of splenda, which stirs into a nice tasting sludge.

I have half of the other solid food as a stir-fry for breakfast, the other half as a soup for supper, a fair amount of the heavy cream goes into the soup. The "fast" days are altered mostly by skipping the heavy cream in the soup, and the butter in the stir-fry. So, looking at this--the "fasting" days probably have 1400 calories or so. So is it fasting? I have to tell you, it feels like fasting. Not in the sense of feeling deprived--but the positive aspects, the way you feel when a fast is going well.

I should throw in that where I say "or so" with the cream, I do measure the amount I put in, it's just that the amount that I decide to measure will vary. I'm calling this fasting every other day, but really it's every other day calorie restriction.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 08:26

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 210/178.2/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

I also have been more hungry than usual. How much fat should you aim for on LCHF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
More fat? You shouldn't struggle with hunger on low carb. That's one of the fantastic things about it.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 08:42

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Fat depends on the person. But so many of us are coming from low fat regimens that a pat of butter on veggies, or cooking our eggs in coconut oil, or eating a fatty cut like chuck, seems decadent. And it may be so, but it's also good for us.

Good fat sources, like animals, coconuts, or olives; banish seed oils. I make homemade salad dressings that are so much tastier to control my fat quality. You can even make your own mayo with an immersion blender: it's fun! Add flavors like garlic or hot chili.

Try adding vinegar with your meals: a spoonful in a glass of water, or as part of a veggie viniagrette, has "natural metformin" quality that helps us digest our food and has blood sugar control too.

We can feel hungry because we aren't getting enough minerals or vitamins. A bottle of chromium picolinate can be a good investment. Add C with meals. Use sea salt for trace minerals, and kelp or spirulina as supplements to get not only iodine, but all kinds of other minerals too. Chelated magnesium is something most people are short on; I started with six or seven tablets a DAY to built up my deficit, now a daily one works. If it makes our tummy rumble, back off: it's easy to assess our dose.

We probably spent decades starving our bodies. I found all the supplementation I did was extremely helpful in getting healthy again.

NOT a multivitamin; a waste of money.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 08:43
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
How are you doing? Like WereBear, I'm kinda surprised by that hunger in the morning. Bulletproof coffee has plenty of fat calories.

I'm not hungry if I have bulletproof coffee. I was hungry before I started having it.

I'm doing a little better. Yesterday my goal was "no carbs for one day," which translated to probably about 20g. I guess that's what I'll have to do (shoot for none at all) for a little while until I get back to where I need to be.

Thanks for the day in the life, teaser. That helps me.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 08:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyanne
I'm doing a little better. Yesterday my goal was "no carbs for one day," which translated to probably about 20g. I guess that's what I'll have to do (shoot for none at all) for a little while until I get back to where I need to be..

If you aren't tracking -- you are making this harder than it need be.

When we start tracking our food, amazing things pop up that we never realized. At first it seems tedious, but it really lets us get to know our food. Wow, a serving of our own Spinach lasagna is less carbs than the lunch we tend to throw together; it's worth making for a whole week of meals.

I didn't know THAT had so many carbs! And days I eat this way I'm hungrier than when I eat that way... and so forth.

This isn't for the rest of your life. I tracked my first two months, and then I knew so much more about my food and what works for me. I learned to not care about calories, only carbs, and that extra veggies made me fuller without much change in my ratios... even what ratios worked for me.

The banner has MY P.L.A.N. in yellow; it can be built right in. Or get one of those apps that are everywhere.

It's worth the time and trouble. Because it saves you time and trouble!
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 08:52
Registered Member

BF:

I'm am tracking. I just didn't think I'd need to lower my carbs this much.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 08:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydneyanne
I'm am tracking. I just didn't think I'd need to lower my carbs this much.

Good for you!

Well, it's all a grand experiment. I used Atkins Carb Ladder to figure out maintenance, which is a whole other thing
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 10:43
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

Hi. I really think you should consider reassessing your goal weight. 112 puts you at a 19-ish BMI, which is barely above underweight. It's sad, but we ladies slowly change body shape as we age. I don't know how old you are, but let's just say that at 42, I won't be 125 lbs again even if I gave up all my hedonist ways and ate a calorie-deficient puritanical version of LC. Learning to make friends with being curvy is the best thing I've ever done.

Eat a healthy LC diet, and let your body settle where it will. Then go get some clothes that look fabulous on you.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 11:13

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Whoops. What she said. Low carb can be great for maintenance.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 17:26
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks, Kristine. I appreciate that.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 17:31
Registered Member

BF:

For the record, here's what I ate today:

3 cups of black coffee

Lunch:
2 eggs fried in bacon fat
2 pieces of bacon

Snack:
Swiss Miss Light hot chocolate with 2T almond milk

Dinner:
1/2 avocado with meat sauce
6 olives

Snack:
Blueberries (I need to look up how many I can have and still keep my carbs down)

Thanks, all!
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 18:03

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Lordy, Darlin' that's not enough FOOD.

No wonder you're hungry.

More protein. More fat. More green vegetables please!

Take care of you!