Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1381   ^
Old Sat, Apr-01-17, 16:58

Plan: My own
Stats: 238/187/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

Hi all---

Trigger---To answer your question, (and don't see it as a challenge at all, glad you asked) the edamame spaghetti is very good sub, but it's just not the real thing. Love it w/sauteed shrimp and parm, and don't feel any need for real pasta.

But spaghetti is different. You're right, pasta doesn't have a ton of taste, but OH that al dente texture, and winding it up on the spoon! And the way the sauce clings to those noodles just right. There's just nothin' like it w/hubby's sauce for me.

As for "rocking the boat," well, I'm always going to do a bit of that on my woe. Will always have treat nights, hopefully just not often.

Lori---LOL, never was any good at golf, but even I can just FEEL your anticipation for the season to begin!

Nic---Understand about your son very well. In fact, what you wrote was very similar to what happened with my son. Great grades in Jr. High, downhill in high school. Got him tested and he was just under the borderline for ADHD. He did not want to do the meds, so we respected that. But in retrospect I really think FOCUS was his issue---very hard for him to know where to begin, prioritize, etc.

Sometimes kids do grow out of this, and that happened for my son eventually, which I think also had a lot to do with the final maturation of his front temporal lobe---home of impulse control. Doesn't happen for most boys till they're 24, girls 3 to 4 years earlier.

I really admire how thoughtfully you and your hubby approach your children. Fingers crossed for a good solution, as I just know your son doesn't like this either.

Have seen the Beauty/Beast trailers. Looks gorgeous.

K-mom---Thanks for your warm and ever so nice words.

Sorry about the pain drain recently. And yeah, those pills are SO constipating for me too. Do you ever use Magnesium pills for this problem? They really do work, you just have to get the hang of how much to take to not, shall we say, over-solve the problem.

Jaz---I feel happy to hear you say you don't want that position and hope they don't pressure you into it. You are doing SO WELL doing what you're doing and making a big difference there. This is what they call the "Peter Principle"---promoting someone out of what they do really well to do something that pays more, but that they like less, and/or are not as well suited for.

One caveat---sure would be nice if they gave you input/interview inclusion with whoever they do hire. Don't know if you can ask for that, but sure would be a bummer to get a bad boss in the change over.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOVED my treat night, "but that was yesterday and yesterday's gone"---hat tip to old Chad and Jeremy song for those old enough to remember it.

SNAP, back on plan today. That's the way I do it. No excuses. Feel a bit bloaty but not too bad, considering. You couldn't drag me on to the scale. Know what it will say. 4 or 5 days back on plan, and it will be just what it was before treat night...

...which BTW, I did weigh yesterday morning for the first time in two weeks. No gain, and not an ounce of loss. Been over a month making quite an effort w/my calories and it isn't making a dad burn bit of difference. Stuck like glue at this weight it seems. That was discouraging. But I'll keep trying, not ready to get back in maintenance mind set yet.

Today is hubby and my 28th wedding anniversary! Lovely beautiful day here, nice walk together. And now I have to run and get ready to go out to dinner w/BIL and SIL to celebrate. Going to our favorite steak house, so no problem staying on plan.
Sponsored Links
  #1382   ^
Old Sat, Apr-01-17, 17:47

Plan: LC calorie counting
Stats: 223/157.8/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Good Evening!

I just sat in the house and pouted all day cause the weather was crap. Chilly, rainy, windy...ugh. I did make it to the grocery store, but that's it. Oh.....and I ran and picked up Chinese for dinner. Sweet & Sour chicken with fried rice for DH, and I got Shrimp and Broccoli steamed with no sauce and of course, no rice. I brought my shrimp and broccoli home and tossed it in a saute pan with olive oil and garlic and topped it with coconut aminos. I even used a little Xanthan Gum to thicken the sauce a bit. I know I ate too much broccoli which has carbs, so not hoping for a loss tomorrow. Also bought barb-b-q pork rinds and they tasted too good. Ate 2 servings this afternoon.....sigh........Just one of those days.

Just finishing up a small glass of Sauvignon Blanc.

All systems are go for golf tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

Have a good night!
  #1383   ^
Old Sun, Apr-02-17, 04:52

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

quickie post
heading out to store very early to get kiddo 2 bathing suits. yes she does not want to go and this is gonna be a pain of a shop
but she must have them before they all go away. amazing how fast they sell out 'in her size' lol

Blue, thanks, just wondering. Thing is I never found subs to truly ever be as good and that was a food fight issue thing I had going trying to change. I know what ya mean. Thing is it all works so well for you so keep on trucking!

KM...yea the arm dropping and 0 power was when I pushed it to the end. I don't know if everyone gets every symptom happening or not, but the old MRI is the only way to tell. Yea, you will have to have one and then you can proceed. I kept it going very long with the pain and more cause heck I kinda knew I was in trouble and since surgery scared the living daylights out of me I wanted to go til I couldn't go no more LOL but in the end they fixed me wonderful. Hope it works out easy and good diagnosis etc for you!!!

Lori, pouting over the weather. THAT is my thing HA HA
So waiting for that real turnover now. One day is AC and the next heat. Shorts and then flannel shirt. gets annoying

quickie, gotta hit the shower etc. and get kid up and she is gonna be mean ya know HAHA she is not a good waker-upper type.

off to get day moving and everyone have a fab day
  #1384   ^
Old Sun, Apr-02-17, 07:35

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%

Good Sunday Morning-

Lori- I can relate to sitting and home and not making it to the grocery. That was me yesterday. I ended up spending the day working on a budget, and doing laundry. I got a 2 hour nap in on a BEAUTIFUL sunny day. Big guilt here. But I was just flat tired. Listen to my body and said "f: it- I'm sleeping.

I eat the same thing Shrimp and steamed broccoli if I am forced to eat in a place like that. Blue- turned me on to the Amino's- always have a bottle on hand. then if you top it at the end with a drop or two of sesame oil- MY OH MY. Serious yum. Yea I have eaten to much broccoli and stalled the scale.

Good luck on the course today- hopefully you get sunshine today.

Blue- I agree with Trig- if your going to eat spaghetti go for the real deal. I too find that subbing out for is never satisfying- then I end up eating way more anyway. Glad though you can put a halt to it. That is where I fall down. I so could not have had a few fries- it would have been over for me.

Hummmm- Lost my train of thought- had 2 phone calls and a walk with Bella- surprised this is still here when I got back on to my computer!

Blue- I was still on you- HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! That is awesome. And you still like him! Impressive! HAHAHAh

Trig- You might want to try Target- I found believe it or not some great swim suits there under 40.00- cheap but look nice. You are right- real curvy sizes for real people go fast. I bought mine in a 14/16- and had to jump on that size as they are the first to go.
I don't get why the people that make clothes don't get that MOST women are bigger than a 8. MOST.

I get the crabby not wanting to get outta bed on a week end- for any reason!
I actually like you got my swimsuit just a tad on the tight side as motivation. I will be hanging it on the door as a reminder My trip is just 9 weeks out. 10 pounds I would be thrilled.

Leeann- Hey- are you feeling more in your routine? Do you get tomorrow to yourself! You are one busy gal. So when is your Europe trip?
How is induction going for you?

Kmom- so do we start water today? I failed miserably last week so I will lower my expectation!!!! I will strive for 5 8 oz . Hope you are feeling better?
-----------------------------------------------------
Yup- as you read, I really got a lot of sleep in yesterday. I had all these lofty plans to get everything done so I could do some hiking today. I had more laundry than I thought.
I do blankets every other week. They are my king size- so I only can fit one at a time. then of course are towels, and then sheets, and then clothes. I am funny about not mixing clothes and towels.

So I ended up taking a nap. Funny I thought I will just close my eyes for 30 mins- 2 hours later! I thought getting up at 5:30 would disrupt my going to bed- oh no- I crashed at 9:30 and slept 11 more hours. I feel pretty good today!!!

So today- I really need to get some grub in here- I just don't know what I am hungry for. I am really trying to add more fish and chicken and a little less of the red meat just for a swap of calories. I need to get on the losing train. Now that I feel better physically - time to look forward.

I am also going to look for a swim suit cover-up to take to Florida. I haven't found one I like. I like a black lacy on. Last year I saw a ton- this year they are more scarf looking- I don't like those. So I will head to maybe Walmart, and if no luck there maybe Burlington. I certain don't want to drop a ton of money on a simple wrap.

Not sure on the food today. I did get on the scale and sitting at 5. A lousy 5 stupid pounds to get me to a better place mentally. I know that 5 pounds should not hold such power. I will still be the same person 5 pounds from now!!! HAHAHAH

But it IS a thing to see the scale get to a 1 hundred number vs a TWO hundred number. For anybody who has experienced that either way- up or down- it is a hurdle. Hard to swallow if you cross it going up- and a goal to get to the other side. Just being very real.

Ok all- in my head - I am taking this 130 pounds hunk of gorgeous red hair to Walmart! I miss the ROFL

Have a good one
  #1385   ^
Old Sun, Apr-02-17, 11:42

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Hey all- quick stop in. Out late last night (and fell off the induction wagon.. ooof!) DD21 and the BF ended up coming over and spending the night last night. All the kids went off to church this morning and then they went to Earth Treks together to go rock climbing. They will be back here by 3 and we are all going (7 of us) to see Beauty and the Beast together. DH and I have been doing some trip planning last night and today. So it has been a good busy- always so nice to have the kids all together and that has come to include a boyfriend and a girlfriend as well. The numbers are growing!

Will catch up more tomorrow and hope you all are well!
  #1386   ^
Old Sun, Apr-02-17, 13:13

BF:

Hi Everyone!

Just in from walking 18 holes of golf. Another 6.5 miles in the walking books! Beautiful sunshine & blue skies...temps in the low 60's. Was so, so nice. 2 of my regular foursome played, 1 girl said it was still too cold for her. She missed a nice day. Course is a bit wet, but manageable.

Stayed after the round and had 1 lite beer with my friends. I haven't eaten anything since 8 o'clock this morning and it's now after 3. I am well and truly fat adapted, I believe. I'm having a cup of coffee with heavy cream and a pat of good butter in it......yum. DH was eating lunch when I came home at 2:15, so not sure when or if we'll have dinner. It'll be one of those every man for himself deals.

Trig...hope the swimsuit shopping was a success. Hope your weather was nice today.

Jaz...hope you got to the grocery store and stocked up. I know it's a dreaded trip, but a necessary evil.

We'll be eating a lot of leftovers and whatever we can get our hands on since we leave early Thursday morning for our junket to Richmond VA. I'm going to do my best to stay LC on this trip. There's no reason not to.

Later!
  #1387   ^
Old Sun, Apr-02-17, 13:59

BF:

Leeann- you will love Beauty and the beast! Everyone I talk to that see's it loves it- ENJOY! How cool all of you going!

Lori- ya I did the errands and got some pork chops, chicken, salmon, cod, and ground turkey and ground sirloin- I am stocked for a minute. Also green beans, salad, and asparagus. Good all round.

Then..... Drum roll- it was SO nice here I put on my swimsuit and laid by the pool - with about 15-20 other all ladies working on the summer tan. Awesome. I took my phone, girl book, glass of wine and sunglasses. Spent 3 hours as a lady of complete leisure. I actually have sun front and back, little red.

I am coming back in- feeling so good with sun on my face, walk in- wanting to continue healthy. Have cod in the oven, and asparagus, and small side salad. Period all I have had today- oh 1 glass wine by the pool. Calories maybe 1000-1100/ carbs about 8- everything- will go with it. Veggies/ and salad. Feels healthy though- nothing processed.

Sun felt good. Tomorrow- storms move in- but hey right now in sun / sand/ and jimmy buffet mode! - man it's been a minute!

Oh PS- I bought a pair of spandex bike shorts- that actually look good in. my they feel like I am wearing nothing. I just don't care that I am a bit heavier. I am done waiting to be a certain size before I can wear this or that.- I am a beautiful gal and will wear shorts- swimwear- and rock it too!

there ya have it- I smell my cod- ready to eat

Last edited by Jaz66 : Sun, Apr-02-17 at 14:04.
  #1388   ^
Old Sun, Apr-02-17, 17:02

Plan: 20 net carbs
Stats: 250/210/175 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress:

HI everyone!

Jaz: the official daily charting on here starts tomorrow. But I would love to know if you made your goal today!

Hanging in there. Less pain today. Also have had victory with my woe.

Hopefully the pain will continue to get less and less. Don't want this to be all about my pain, but want you to know why I am not posting much.

K-Mom 10x3
  #1389   ^
Old Sun, Apr-02-17, 17:05

BF:
Progress:

Hi all,

Trigger---I have winnowed it down to the best subs for me. Love my Trader Joe's LC bread, and high fiber LC crackers. The edamame spaghetti is really quite good and I enjoy it. Mama Lupe's LC tortillas too. I don't have them every day, maybe a couple days a week, one meal only, and of course included in carb count for the day. Used subs all the way down in my weight. Boredom on this woe has always been a red flag for me and an invite to jump off the wagon. First time on LC I didn't make any effort to find subs, and I got so darn sick of what I was eating I dove off the wagon happily and set up house in a baguette.

You have done SO well banishing the need for variety so again, we don't fix what works for us!

Lori---You must have been in heaven today! And just think, months more to come doing your favorite thing AND, getting your steps in. I so wish I loved doing SOMETHING athletic.

Jaz---What a yummy afternoon. Love your confidence. When we walk with it, we got it girl!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our anniversary dinner was fab. Stayed 100% on plan, but for one bite of creme brulee. Had Walleye almondine, green beans and a small Caesar side salad. EVERYTHING at this restaurant is A plus. It's the only place I finish my green beans because they're so buttery with just a bit of crisp.

Gray chilly day here, which suited me fine. Did a bit of writing for work, read and putzed around the house. Had Nic's Greek yogurt/sour cream mix, w/mashed blackberries for lunch, will have a cheeseburger for dinner.

Will come in around 1200 cals and just under 20 NCs. Need to drink more water yet. I've got to get me a really good water bottle and keep it on my desk or near me all day.

Tonight is the finale of Big Little Lies, which has been a fun series to watch. Jaz, just a reminder, this series is based on a novel by Liane Moriarty an author I think you'd really enjoy.
  #1390   ^
Old Sun, Apr-02-17, 18:55

Plan: 20 net carbs
Stats: 250/210/175 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress:

Trader Joe's nuggets found tonight:

VOLPI snacks: ROLINI
Mozzarella and Prosciutto ham
Will try it tomorrow for lunch or snack.
Really different looking. Hope it is good
One net carb for each stick

Whole Grain Crisp Bread. Hoping, Blue, this is what you meant. SO TASTY. Having one now dipped in TJ's chunky and spicy guacamole with tomato, peppers, onion, cilantro, garlic and lime.
Crisp bread: 4 NC's per cracker
Guac: 1 NC per 2 T.

Guac has quite a kick to it which is nice because I will then use less!

Seems like you could put almost anything on this crispbread!

K-Mom 10x3
  #1391   ^
Old Sun, Apr-02-17, 21:08

BF:
Progress:

Yes K-mom, that's it! The TJ LC crackers I was talking about. So nutty and crunchy and good. One does me, fair sized, and w/so much fiber, so filling. I put tuna salad and egg salad on them, sometimes melt cheese on them, break one up and used it as a dipper, you name it, and all for just 4 NCs.

Going to pass on a recipe I have for buffalo chicken dip later when I'm not ready for bed. These crackers w/that on it are seriously YUM.
  #1392   ^
Old Mon, Apr-03-17, 02:58

BF:

Good Morning!

Short night of sleep for me. I was up until after 10 o'clock. We got caught up watching something on TV and just couldn't pull myself away. Anyway, 4:15 came early this morning. Nonetheless, I'm up and ready to head to boot camp. The good news is that I can take a nap later if I want to.

Scale continues to march downward. I'm nearly at the lowest I've seen in a long time and I'm anxious to see if I can finally blow past that number. Just a few pounds to go. It was amazing to me yesterday that I ate breakfast at 8AM and didn't eat again until nearly 5:30PM. My carb eating golf friends were eating pretzels and one of them brought a sandwich and they were eating part way thru the round....and they were riding in a cart! I was walking and wasn't even hungry! Yeah for fat adaptation!

I'll pop back in later today and check on you all. Make it a good Monday!
  #1393   ^
Old Mon, Apr-03-17, 04:17

BF:

Monday

Lori- I love the fact you were walking while your carb loving friends were riding- and AND- you weren't hungry! Good for you. You are doing the bullet coffee for breakfast right? Cream/ and butter or coconut?
Ahhhhhh jealous- I love my naps. AND Congrats on seeing the scale move. I too wished I moved more! I think that is your ace in the back pocket! WTG

Blue- I have had those crackers you speak of. Don't they come in an odd package- blue and white wrapper. If they are the same ones they are a great sub for bread. You are right- they are super sturdy- and hold anything, tuna, dip, melted cheese and peperoni. I used to eat those too.
But not anymore..... sighhhhh. But yes they are a great sub for bread. I actually like them over bread. I have no use for bread what so ever.

Ahhhhh the "Peter Principle"- I truly think that is what happened with my boss. She did the same thing I did. Started the company with a bang and climbed the ladder very fast. I just think she went one rung to much for her to take.
I gave it great thought this week end myself. She is supposed to have a major pow wow - with the VP this afternoon. I am good exactly where I am. I am just hopeful I don't get dumped with more. Per her contract she have to stay 4 weeks. Don't know how I got on this tangent!

Leann- So you are in full planning for your trip- so fun! That really is have the fun. I don't know though about that plane trip- something about going over the ocean. Not that land is any safer- just saying- I would need medicated Oh ya!
Awesome you are guestless!

Kmom- Hoping you feel better. - the thing is when you are in pain- it just makes life harder. I KNOW that! ((((HUGS))))
Water- I want 5/5- is my goal for the week.

Trig- so did you find some clothes for the kiddo? So HAPPY to hear your little BOLT is better. Goodness you have had your fair share of stuff. Here is hoping things will level out for you and the fam! Any RV planning going on? Do you even have it back yet?
-----------------------------------------------------
All- Had some baked COD and asparagus last night. Not enough fat- but I was ok- the fish is sorta fatty. Not like red meat- but it was just enough.

I also tossed in a salmon filet since I had the oven on. I will split that and use that for lunch.
So tonight- most likely crack slaw/ or a turkey burger.

I get the PRIZE for the first big time sun burn of the year! Oh yea. I decided to put my fair haired PALE skin out there with all those bronze beauties yesterday. Woke up IN PAIN. My back side is BRIGHT red. It hurts to sit- back of thighs got the brunt! Guess they stuck out the most.
Oh well- just hope I don't peel- that is the worst.

Ok all gotta run. TRAFFIC is a mess since that bridge collapse.
Hope you all have a great day
  #1394   ^
Old Mon, Apr-03-17, 07:47

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Ahhh! JAZ! Please be careful with the sun. As someone who has watched her father fight melanoma for 13 years now, I hate to hear about anyone getting burned badly. Go slowly!

KMOM- I'm glad the pain is a little less but I am still worried about you. Meanwhile, I'm glad you found the crackers at TJs. And I've had those little roll up things- they are pretty good!

Blue- Good on you staying on plan for your anniversary meal. I failed to see how many years it is- could you refresh me please? Happy Anniversary to a sweet and happy couple, and many more to you both!

Lori- Girl, you inspired me. I fell off the wagon yesterday and was sort of MEH about what I was going to do about it today. Reading about how well you are doing made me rethink that strategy quickly, so thank you for single handedly changing my mindset in the last few days before I leave. I appreciate you!

Trig- Hope you are well, dear, and survived your shopping with your DD and maybe even enjoyed it a tad bit!

••••••••••

Things are good here. An excited buzz and mild panic are coursing through the house (and K and B's house too) as the realization that London is fast approaching is hitting us! Planning is really kicking in and all the things that must be done and gathered and packed and planned for, made more complicated by different currency, different voltage etc. I have a list as long as my arm of things to do!

K&B have decided to wait until after the trip for the engagement and I am fine with that, especially because she is in on it and not expecting it during the trip. I guess they (or at least B) talked to C (DS18) about it. Good for them!

We had a really nice time on Sunday. K&B spent the night Saturday night, then C and his GF, K&B went to one church together and then out to Starbucks, while DH and DS15 went to our church (I begged off.) Then all the kids (C,T, K, B) went indoor rock climbing and out to lunch. Then C's GF came over and rejoined the Fam, and we all seven went to see Beauty and the Beast and out to dinner. It was really fun. I love seeing these glimpses of how our family is growing and changing and evolving. It's beautiful.

Today I need to get the dogs in to the vet for shots before they get home-boarded, go to the bank to get our passports out of the safety deposit box and exchange money, go by the verizon store to figure out cell phone usage, email the neighbors about our being gone, pay bills and some other stuff like that.

I'll be quite busy getting ready the next few days!
  #1395   ^
Old Mon, Apr-03-17, 16:14

BF:

Hi all shorty post-

I posted before Leeann- for personals.

Leeann- so when is your trip? I feel it is soon. Also you seem to be able to toss your self from major project to the next wth little down time! GO GIRL!

Kmom- it will be a miserable report- day not done.

update: My boss took back her resignation and is keeping her potion. the issue is- she handed me the office to deal with and then wants to keep her figures in every detail. I shared with her my concern if she says one thing and I say another. We have to play the same.
anyway- that ended at 5pm- I am into my evening- and want to read- into a good book.

Can't walk just yet- sunburn is so painful- have little blisters- ya I know fair skin- dumb move. I hear ya Leeann
Closed Thread