Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-16, 06:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205.5/171.0/155 Female 5 5
BF:
Progress: 68%

Been at -21 for four days. Glad it's stable and not swinging down as usual.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-16, 11:16

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%

Re: cramping: I DO drink at least 2 liters of water a day as a baseline (more in hot weather, when more active, etc.), so I don't think dehydration was causing my cramps.

I am partial to magnesium because it seems to help me with both cramps and restless leg. I had restless leg syndrome for 35 years.... and it stopped 90 percent when I went low carb.

And I just realized while writing this post that since I have been taking magnesium (a few days), the other 10 percent seems to have abated, as well. And also the severe and sudden cramps, which I have had on and off for a few weeks -- now gone, as well.

As with all of this, so much of it varies according to our individual biochemistry, but group wisdom is also quite useful (especially with THIS great group!), and seems to indicate that adequate hydration, salts, and magnesium might be the keys to addressing the cramping thing.
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-16, 05:55

BF:

Foot cramps yesterday. I felt like I'd grown talons. Pain. Also, gained 1 lb. since yesterday, back to 20 lb loss. Fast today.
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-16, 06:39

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappaOne
Foot cramps yesterday. I felt like I'd grown talons. Pain. Also, gained 1 lb. since yesterday, back to 20 lb loss. Fast today.

I don't drink diet soda. It stalls my weight loss
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-16, 06:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by andante
Re: cramping: I DO drink at least 2 liters of water a day as a baseline (more in hot weather, when more active, etc.), so I don't think dehydration was causing my cramps..

If its not water and not minerals and one still has muscle cramps..I found that not stretching will cause me to get cramps. Stretching after I exercise, walking etc. If I don't stretch then I will get a quad cramp. Must be getting older
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-16, 15:36

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%

I think it was the magnesium. But stretching is good, too!
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-16, 19:21

Plan: ZC (started w/Atkins)
Stats: 164/132.8/124 Female 5x2"
BF:27%
Progress: 78%

I drink cucumber/lemon water & nothing else (ok regular water when the other is not available). 80-90 oz daily

Imo sea salt is better than regular salt!

Lifting weights will build muscle & muscle weighs more than fat but muscle also burns calories!

A diet tracker will help you know for sure what you are doing!

I am 59 & I have lost 10 pounds my first week of Atkins Induction diet but I fasted a day before I started to kick start things!

Cucumber/lemon water recipe:
Fill a 1 gallon container with water
Peel & slice up 1/2 cucumber & put into the water
Let cucumber slices some in the water 4 hours minimum (too long & the water gets cloudy & looks unappealing)
Juice 1 fresh lemon & add too the cucumber water
Enjoy!

I save the cucumber slices to eat later
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Oct-29-16, 06:23

BF:

Stalled and going the wrong way despite doing everything I'm supposed to do. This happens occasionally. Partly due to constipation, for which I also do everything I'm supposed to do and is a longtime problem. Kind of discouraging. Looking forward to the scale numbers being where they should be if it plays by the rules like I'm doing.
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Oct-29-16, 09:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charms09

I am 59 & I have lost 10 pounds my first week of Atkins Induction diet but I fasted a day before I started to kick start things

Impressive! You must be very fit! I'm 60 and my first week I lost 2 lbs. and then stalled. I think I need more exercise to increase my metabolism.
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Oct-29-16, 09:59

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Trappa, you WILL go backwards. And forwards. And backwards. Not because of constipation, necessarily, or anything else. Just because that's what our bodies do.

Most people fluctuate about 5 lbs over the course of several weeks, if they are already at a stable weight. I find that I fluctuate about 3 lbs above my newest low, whatever that is, and then the swings get narrower, and I eventually hit a new low. But it can be three weeks, or two months between new lows.

SOME people lose in what looks like a linear fashion, if you look at it at the end of the road. But if you look at it along that road, you'll see dips and jumps. And they remember those dips and jumps, and the frustration they caused.

It's normal. Janet (JEY) has a link to an article called "Don't trust your scale with your mental health" that talks about all the reasons that weight fluctuates. I follow JustJo's philosophy: I can't control what that infernal contraption says I weigh. All I can control is what I eat.
  #56   ^
Old Sat, Oct-29-16, 18:14

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
Trappa, you WILL go backwards. And forwards. And backwards. Not because of constipation, necessarily, or anything else. Just because that's what our bodies do.

Most people fluctuate about 5 lbs over the course of several weeks, if they are already at a stable weight. I find that I fluctuate about 3 lbs above my newest low, whatever that is, and then the swings get narrower, and I eventually hit a new low. But it can be three weeks, or two months between new lows.

SOME people lose in what looks like a linear fashion, if you look at it at the end of the road. But if you look at it along that road, you'll see dips and jumps. And they remember those dips and jumps, and the frustration they caused.

It's normal. Janet (JEY) has a link to an article called "Don't trust your scale with your mental health" that talks about all the reasons that weight fluctuates. I follow JustJo's philosophy: I can't control what that infernal contraption says I weigh. All I can control is what I eat.

Yup, it's all normal. Once you start to accept the swings, the ups, the lows, the losses, the gains -- you may even see a pattern -- you'll accept that as how it works and not stress out about it. If the overall trend is downward, it's all good. You can either ditch the scale, or embrace it like I have
  #57   ^
Old Sat, Oct-29-16, 19:00

Plan: ZC (started w/Atkins)
Stats: 164/132.8/124 Female 5x2"
BF:27%
Progress: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflowers
Impressive! You must be very fit! I'm 60 and my first week I lost 2 lbs. and then stalled. I think I need more exercise to increase my metabolism.

Oh lol i am not fit at all! At best I am moderately active. I have a bad ankle so I can't walk much but I have started slowly riding my exercycle 2-3 times a week & I want to add other exercises to that eventually but I am taking that slow because of my ankle/leg.

Not sure how I lost 10 the first week, I cut out bread & sugar a year ago & did not drop a bit. I will be 60 next month & I want to get healthier & feel better & actually feel like doing stuff.
I am asked why I am "dieting" a lot & I then get "because you don't look like you need to diet" but I am caring around more weight than my small 5'2" frame can handle, especially my bad ankle. My Dr told me the only way to help my ankle not have so much pain was to drop 30 pounds so that was my primary motivation. Research brought me here thank God!
  #58   ^
Old Sun, Oct-30-16, 05:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmeyster
Yup, it's all normal. Once you start to accept the swings, the ups, the lows, the losses, the gains -- you may even see a pattern -- you'll accept that as how it works and not stress out about it. If the overall trend is downward, it's all good. You can either ditch the scale, or embrace it like I have

Thanks, Kat and Micki. I know clothes are certainly different and that's a bigger indicator of progress than that traitorous scale (well, unless it shows an unexpected good loss like last week). Today I was up a pound again and I realized I did nothing to make that happen. I've stuck to the program rigidly. I have not overindulged in anything. Some mornings I wake up and I actually FEEL heavy. I am so encouraged by what I read here. I keep a chart on my wall, erasable white board paper, and record increases in red and decreases in green every week, then erase that week and start again, leaving room for notes of any changes which there seldom are. The fact that there are both red and green loss / gain numbers every week tells me this is more of an EKG reading than a slide. Thanks again for your support and camaraderie.
  #59   ^
Old Sun, Oct-30-16, 10:51

Well at least I didn't gain this week.. Still the same. I'll be exercising more so maybe I'll have a loss next week.
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-16, 05:37

BF:

Back down to -20 so I'm where I was a week ago. Got up early to take a blood test, fasting, and feeling dopey. Scale went from 183.5, 184.5, 185.5 and that is where it stayed but it was nice to at least see those lower #s exist.