Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Oct-15-16, 07:17

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
I'm the same height as you and now 62. LCHF has permitted the best, sustainable weightloss of my life, all after age 50. After 35 years of yo-yoing, for me this is the only satiating WOE for losing & maintaining. I did tweak by eliminating my inflammatory foods (dairy protein, grains, soy) and got below 150 lbs, where I always got stuck when younger than 50. Rate was 0.5 to 1 lb/week, slowing down for the last 15, but it kept moving. Now I maintain with intermittent fasting (a 4-10 hr eating window).

You give me hope Deidra. You're basically following a paleo diet then? I still have dairy and soy. I may have to stop them. I seem to be sensitive to hormones so I have to eat the foods with the least 'hormones' in them. Fish, plants, and I wasn't having too much trouble with soy.. it could be becoming problematic now at my age though.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Oct-15-16, 08:07

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflowers
I'd rather walk outside if I can because its healthier. The sun and fresh air is important to health too.

I don't know if it's healthier physically, but for me, it's healthier emotionally. I did the video for my morning walk because it was still raining, but in the afternoon I walked outside. Not much in the way of sun - even tho we're inland we are still dealing with the effects of the Pacific storm - but it's still nice to get out instead of staying in the house.
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Oct-16-16, 05:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205.5/171.0/155 Female 5 5
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default weigh day

Quote:
My weigh in is on Sundays.. Since I've been weighing myself for many years...lol I found that the day I weigh the least is Sunday.. ( I don't get so discouraged) so tomorrow I'll see if my low carb is working...

Hope it was a good number,girl!
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Oct-16-16, 07:49

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

Inspiring thread!!!
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Oct-16-16, 07:59

My weigh in results are no change from last week (sad face)
I know I need more exercise I think by next week of stepping up the physical activity, I'll show a loss.
Another Question for this group of lovely over 50's
Did you have a lot of trouble with leg cramps? And I mean charlie horses that make one scream in agony? I got them in both legs the other night.. first my calf, then my right quad and then the left quad! I drink a lot of water, plus I take minerals, magnesium, calcium, D. I take a lot of vitamins.. I also take potassium.
I started walking again a lot and I wasn't stretching so I'm wondering if it was the lack of stretching after walking?
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Oct-16-16, 08:33

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Did you have a lot of trouble with leg cramps? And I mean charlie horses that make one scream in agony? I got them in both legs the other night.. first my calf, then my right quad and then the left quad! I drink a lot of water, plus I take minerals, magnesium, calcium, D. I take a lot of vitamins.. I also take potassium.

I haven't had leg cramps, but I have had cramps in my toes (and did before this WOE). I think it's lack of potassium for me. I had one a few days ago and hobbled to the cabinet for some Mrs. Dash, which contains potassium. I don't know if there was cause and effect, but the cramp went away shortly after.
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Oct-16-16, 10:29

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Mayflower, are you getting enough salt? Salt regulates the blood levels of other electrolytes. So, not enough salt, your pee will be mineral rich.
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-16, 09:44

Yes I'm getting too much salt. My BP went up since I started increasing my salt for low carb..
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-16, 09:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccat69
I haven't had leg cramps, but I have had cramps in my toes (and did before this WOE). I think it's lack of potassium for me. I had one a few days ago and hobbled to the cabinet for some Mrs. Dash, which contains potassium. I don't know if there was cause and effect, but the cramp went away shortly after.

You can also use Morton's Light Salt. It contains Potassium chloride. I use that.
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Oct-24-16, 09:31

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%

I am 57 and losing slowly now (1/2 pound a week usually). I started with very fast weight loss -- 27 pounds in 7 weeks -- but now it's slowed down. I mostly can't have wine (special occasions are fine, but not as a regular thing... for me it stops the weight loss). But that's fine (both the slow pace and the wine) -- I see this as a permanent eating change, and it is clearly working, as the downward trend continues. Sure, I get impatient -- because I want to look better (and fit into smaller clothes) NOW -- but that's all it is -- impatience.

Two problems with diets: 1) not being able to eat foods you love and 2) feeling hunger/cravings. So my advice to anyone is find some foods and recipes you can LOVE on your plan, and eat those. Have low carb snacks on hand in case you get mid-day cravings (I don't snack a lot, but I know some people have emotional triggers, so if you have those, then it's good to have some low carb snacks on hand so you don't hit the chips or candy bars). And eat enough fat because if you do, you won't have cravings/hunger (and might not need to snack at all).

So you don't have to think of it as a diet (deprivation) with an end point. You can actually enjoy the process as the downward trend continues, no matter how slow.

My partner has got on board with this and his new hobby is searching out low carb recipes. He loves to cook, and I think he is really enjoying searching low carb forums and websites for suggestions. Eating is a real pleasure on this "diet...." it makes all the difference in the world.
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-16, 05:48

BF:
Red face cramps in extremities

Quote:
My weigh in results are no change from last week (sad face)
I know I need more exercise I think by next week of stepping up the physical activity, I'll show a loss.
I started walking again a lot and I wasn't stretching so I'm wondering if it was the lack of stretching after walking?

Sometimes I weigh more or no loss when I exercise! (Muscle??)
And I do get muscle cramps, tightening and staying in one position in my feet and legs. This is a new phenom for me. I don't see what I can do about it but walk it out and wait it out.
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-16, 08:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappaOne
Sometimes I weigh more or no loss when I exercise! (Muscle??)
And I do get muscle cramps, tightening and staying in one position in my feet and legs. This is a new phenom for me. I don't see what I can do about it but walk it out and wait it out.

Muscle cramps are a symptom of needing more water and electrolytes, like salt and potassium. Are you drinking enough?
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-16, 18:39

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%

Mayflowers:

Yes, I have had those screaming cramps. I am now taking magnesium. I've only been on it a few days, but I haven't had any cramps since I've been taking it. I find that stepping on the cramping leg and walking around stops it fairly quickly.

When I next go to a doc for a blood test, I want to ask for a vitamin/mineral panel and see if there are any deficiencies. I also have potassium supplements, but am not taking them at the moment. I am salting food.
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-16, 05:02

Dr. Eades (Protein Power) wrote on his website that he was getting horrible muscle cramps and he did all the tests. Nothing wrong..Turns out he was dehydrated. As soon as he started drinking 6-8 glasses of water or more per day his muscle cramps stopped.
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-16, 05:16

BF:

I drink a lot of Powerade Zero water with potassium and electrolytes. Probably half a gallon a day. Plus other fluids. The days I get cramps I probably don't drink enough water and too much soda.