Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Oct-13-16, 17:02

Plan: keto
Stats: 166/160/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

No statin, blood lipid test was good.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Oct-13-16, 17:15

BF:
Progress:
Default can't use the quote function!

Stored muscle maybe.

I thought that muscles could not release glucose back into blood, only the liver. The muscle must deplete in a fairly short time with no carbs in? With some exercise and an active job, there can't be much left!

It's normal to have fasting glucose in the 100-110 range (US units) when on super low carb like you are on. See Peter at Hyperlipid on this.

I read this article and some other stuff on "physiological peripheral resistance" fasting blood glucose in these cases seems to drop after the first meal - mine is not coming down. First few days of low carb it ran at 102- 110 fasting....a couple of weeks in and it is now on 126- 130, staying elevated for 2 hours so not dawn phenomenon, not coming below 115 all day. Am I misunderstanding? What increase in glucose would a meal with maybe 6-10g of carbs be expected to do?
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Oct-13-16, 17:35

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Muscle doesn't directly supply glucose to the blood--but during exercise, lactate is produced from muscle glycogen breakdown, this will be used to produce glucose in the liver, blood glucose may go up for a time while the body is working to partially rebuild muscle glycogen stores from lactate and various other gluconeogenic precursors released from the muscle.

Again, I'd get a second opinion on just what your blood glucose numbers actually are. Get tested by a doctor, or buy another set of glucose strips, see if the numbers stay up or are particular to the set of strips that you're on. If this is your first set of strips ever--you really can't depend on these numbers.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Oct-14-16, 10:22

BF:
Progress:

On day 2 with new strips, still the same. Never dropping down below 110. Never going over 140. Around 120+ on before eating in the morning for 2 hours.
Booked in with GP but long wait as non-urgent
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Oct-15-16, 05:02

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Here are two good articles on meter accuracy and blood sugar:
http://www.healthline.com/diabetesm...-sugar-levels#1
https://diatribe.org/issues/68/adams-corner

As suggested before, find a friend with a regular glucose meter (not one that also reads ketones) and check against that. I found the precision extra combo meter was off on the glucose, why some suggest you continue to take glucose with a devoted meter, and only ketones with the combo meter, and that brand is not getting good reviews for accuracy anyway. Also consider accuracy of any glucose reading in light of linked articles.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Oct-15-16 at 07:20.
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Oct-15-16, 08:55

BF:
Progress:

thanks for this, I don't know anyone with a meter but I have booked for lab test
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-16, 15:48

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Good luck.