Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-16, 11:56

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%
Default engineered "good" bacteria

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...60827162200.htm

Quote:
Targeting gut bacteria to reduce weight gain

More than one-third of adults in the U.S. are obese, putting them at greater risk for conditions such as fatty liver disease -- caused by fatty deposits building up in the liver -- and atherosclerosis, the hardening and narrowing of the arteries. Scientists have recently discovered that the microorganisms living in our gut, known as the gut microbiota, play an important role in obesity and may offer a new therapeutic target.

Researchers led by Sean Davies, PhD, associate professor of pharmacology at Vanderbilt University, are studying whether obesity-related diseases might be treated or even prevented by altering the gut microbiota. To find out, they engineered gut bacteria that produce a small lipid that helps suppress appetite and reduce inflammation. People who are obese typically produce less of this lipid, which is made by the small intestine.

"We have previously shown that this approach with engineered bacteria could inhibit obesity when standard mice were fed a high-fat diet," Davies said. "Our new studies focused on mice highly prone to develop atherosclerosis and fatty liver disease, and we showed that the engineered bacteria were beneficial not only in inhibiting obesity, but also in protecting against fatty liver disease and somewhat against atherosclerosis."

The researchers found that standard mice fed a high-fat diet while also receiving the engineered bacteria via drinking water gained less body weight and body fat than mice given standard drinking water or control bacteria. They also gave the engineered bacteria to mice with increased susceptibility to atherosclerosis and fatty liver disease. These mice accumulated less fat in the liver and showed reduced expression of markers of liver fibrosis, compared to mice that did not receive the treatment. The treated mice also exhibited a modest trend toward reduced atherosclerotic plaques.

"Some day in the future, it might be possible to treat the worst effects of obesity simply by administering these bacteria," Davies said. "Because of the sustainability of gut bacteria, this treatment would not need to be every day."

I wonder if there's anything all that special about these bacteria, versus other short chain fatty acid producing bacteria (I assume that's what's meant by a lipid here) beyond patentability? I don't wonder very hard, though.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-16, 21:18
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

They still believe a high-fat diet = obesity
Then they try and counter that with a fat producing bacterium?

Willing to bet the high-fat mouse chow was also high-carb. A lot of plot holes in this study IMO
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-29-16, 07:03

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
They still believe a high-fat diet = obesity
Then they try and counter that with a fat producing bacterium?

Willing to bet the high-fat mouse chow was also high-carb. A lot of plot holes in this study IMO

Exactly my concern with this effort. While the gut biome and related bacteria seems to be the new shiny toy of the medical and research communities, conducting a study on rodents who don't process fat exactly the same as humans and benefit from a different diet that doesn't include the same protein sources that are healthy for humans introduces a confounder here. Basing a study on the assumption that high fats are unhealthy leaves me very skeptical. Using bacteria to provide satiety is the new drug, which is what teaser was alluding to. Pharma is now raising all types of "beneficial" bacteria for this very purpose.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-29-16, 10:04

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Mice apparently fatten easily on the inflamatory high omega 6 fat plus whatever else junk in it lab chow. I'm also doubtful mice are designed to necessarily eat a high fat diet in the wild like humans do well on.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-29-16, 11:35

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Hmmm "engineered" organisms? Like Round-up ready corn (or Frankenstein's monster)? I know this is a visceral reaction and not logical, but damn... Mice aside, I would want to know how these things are made, and see what ELSE they might do, over an extended period of time...
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-29-16, 12:05

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Right now I have homemade kimchi and homemade fermented ginger carrots in my refrigerator. I eat some every day. Both are really simple to make, cost no more than the vegetables cost and taste really good. No studies have been done on my fermented veggies and I don't know what mice think of them but I think I'll just stick with them and not bother with the engineered stuff, even if it should eventually come to the market. Just a luddite I guess.

Jean