Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-16, 18:07

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Time Restricted Feeding

Fascinating interview about circadian rhythm, time restricted feeding and various health benefits. While this is not low carb research it really synchs with it. It's a long interview but really well worth listening to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R-eqJDQ2nU

Rhonda Patrick, who conducts the interview, has an interesting website with many interesting talks and interviews. Her primary interest is micronutrients. She does basic biochemistry research but her mind clearly roams over all things impacting human health and she utilizes what she learns to direct aspects of her own life.

Her website:

https://www.foundmyfitness.com/

Jean
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-16, 19:48
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I haven't listened to the video, but I went to the website and dug deeper and found a gem.

Metformin is showing signs of anti-aging properties as a side effect.
Quote:
Researchers believe that Metformin, a drug that already has been widely used to treat diabetes for about 60 years, may have a large number of additional health benefits. It is now being tested on humans for its anti-aging properties. Nir Barzilai, MD, director of the Institute for Aging Research at Albert Einstein College of Medicine, is currently engaged in a clinical study and assessment of metformin for endurance, to analyze how it may impact metabolic and cellular processes correlated with the development of age-related conditions. These conditions include inflammation, oxidative, diminished autophagy, cell senescence and apoptosis. Experts are reviewing whether metrformin use can possibly improve gene expression profile in older adults with damaged glucose tolerance to that of younger individuals.
There is an anti-aging drug beginning testing in Japan next month. Of course, the process of getting it out to the populace can take up to 10 years.
Quote:
Nicotinamide mononucleotide, which has been proven to reverse signs of aging in mice, including decline in eyesight, metabolism, and glucose intolerance, is set to be tested in ten human volunteers in Japan next month.

In 2013, researchers from the University of New South Wales (UNSW) claimed to have formulated a drug that could help slow down the aging process using a compound called nicotinamide mononucleotide (NMN). And indeed, the compound has been found to reverse signs of aging and extend the life expectancy…of mice. To date, such methods haven’t been tested in humans; however, that’s all about to change. Now, it will be tested on humans to see if the results will be as good and as safe. The trial will be conducted next month by Keio University in japan with ten healthy volunteers. So how does it work? NMN stimulates the production of sirtuins, a class of proteins that grow weaker as we age. So the team is not talking about jars of cosmetic products that you slap on your face in an attempt to look younger. This drug reverses, not just external signs of aging, but internal symptoms as well, including decline in eyesight, metabolism, and glucose intolerance. “We’ve confirmed a remarkable effect in the experiment using mice, but it’s not clear yet how much [the compound] will affect humans,” lead researcher Shin-ichiro Imai said. “We’ll carefully conduct the study, which I hope will result in important findings originating in Japan.” Anti-aging products are a topic of interest in Japan, where 40% of the population will be over 65 years old by 2055.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-16, 03:23

BF:

Glenda - I find myself much more interested in lifestyle changes that I can make to affect aging than I do the development of drugs. That's what I found so fascinating about the video. It is about the timing of eating and sleeping and exposure to light that we can all make in our own lives that may have considerable health benefits and not cost us a penny nor enrich the pockets of a drug company. There's an interesting website with a blog and other things and even a research study you can participate in if you so choose:

http://mycircadianclock.org/

From my perspective this information just adds a new dimension to optimizing health.

Jean
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-16, 05:52
Doing My Best

I'll be looking into it. Thanks.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-16, 06:30

Plan: My own
Stats: 250/161.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Glenda - I find myself much more interested in lifestyle changes that I can make to affect aging than I do the development of drugs. That's what I found so fascinating about the video. It is about the timing of eating and sleeping and exposure to light that we can all make in our own lives that may have considerable health benefits and not cost us a penny nor enrich the pockets of a drug company. There's an interesting website with a blog and other things and even a research study you can participate in if you so choose:

http://mycircadianclock.org/

From my perspective this information just adds a new dimension to optimizing health.

Jean

I agree with you, Jean... lifestyle changes are much more effective, and profound, for optimizing health than taking meds.

I was excited about joining the circadian study... until I found it requires a smartphone. Alas, I'm not smart enough for a smartphone.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-16, 06:38
Doing My Best

Well, I installed the app and am doing my best to learn how to use it. I think it's basically a waste of time. I'm going to uninstall.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-16, 06:40

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Thanks for this post Jean. I like her interviews and this topic, will listen later when have time. Somewhere here previously posted her talk with Dom D'Agastino on Cancer that had mentions of longevity.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-16, 07:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
Well, I installed the app and am doing my best to learn how to use it. I think it's basically a waste of time. I'm going to uninstall.

Glenda - The talk is still really interesting and it's only at the very end that they talk about the research that uses the app. I posted about the talk primarily, not the app and participating in the research. I haven't decided yet whether or not I will participate but I am planning to incorporate some of the information from the talk about timed eating into my routine.

Jean
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-16, 17:56

BF:

I decided to participate in the study or at least I intend to unless I decide that it is too onerous to take pictures of everything I eat. This research on circadian rhythm as it applies to eating adds another dimension to the subject of fasting, that the timing of eating independent of calories and food composition, effects weight. Of course the studies have been extensively done only in mice. This research is an attempt to expand upon the initial pilot study in humans, which was mostly a pilot study of the app, so that it can be known whether what was shown to be true in mice is also true for humans. Anyway, it interests me and I am going to give it a go. The primary researcher is Satchin Panda and he impresses me as one of those people with a far ranging mind but the ability to simplify things and make them understandable.

Jean
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-16, 14:32

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Thanks for the link, Jean. Started watching and will watch in increments over the next couple days. Rhonda Patrick is very good and has excellent guests. She has extensive knowledge which makes the interviews that much better.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-16, 15:37

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Time-restricted Feeding / IF must be getting too popular. My local paper just had an article saying there was no proof it helped people lose more weight than the low-cal diet that Registered Dogmatists push.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-16, 16:02

BF:

Deirdra - Satchan Panda, the researcher, has as his primary interest circadian rhythm. He came upon this notion of a circadian rhythm for eating that was distinct from the circadian rhythm for light and dark through his mouse studies. He is not primarily an obesity/weightloss/diet researcher. His interest in human studies seems to have developed through his observations about mice. He says in this interview that he used a term different from "Intermittent Fasting" because he wanted to make it clear that what he is studying has no relationship to calorie restriction which he says is often associated with the term "IF". He is based at the Salk Institute in California. Here's his description from the Salk Institute site:

"Satchidananda Panda explores the genes, molecules and cells that keep the whole body on the same circadian clock. A section of the hypothalamus called the suprachiasmatic nucleus (SCN) lies at the center of the body’s master clock and gets input directly from light sensors in the eyes, keeping the rest of the body on schedule. Panda discovered how these light sensors work, as well as how cellular timekeepers in other parts of the body function. He also uncovered a novel blue light sensor in the retina that measures ambient light level and sets the time to go to sleep and wake up every day.

In the process of exploring how the liver’s daily cycles work, Panda found that mice which eat within a set amount of time (12 hours) resulted in slimmer, healthier mice than those who ate the same number of calories in a larger window of time, showing that when one eats may be as important as what one eats. If the benefits of this “12-hour diet” hold true in humans, it could have profound impacts on treating overeating disorders, diabetes and obesity."

He's not just another IF wannabe.

Jean
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Aug-16-16, 04:01

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Don't miss the follow-up on Time Resistricted eating and Breast Cancer with Dr Ruth Patterson, UCSD Cancer Center.
https://youtu.be/8qlrB84xp5g
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Aug-16-16, 04:36

BF:

I watched that too Janet. It's so interesting when research from various people with different starting interests begins to converge. Makes you believe that they're onto something .

Jean
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Aug-16-16, 07:13

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Thanks for posting. Always looking for something to work out to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Time-restricted Feeding / IF must be getting too popular. My local paper just had an article saying there was no proof it helped people lose more weight than the low-cal diet that Registered Dogmatists push.

I'm not sure I'd contest this, personally, I didn't go low carb because I failed to lose weight restricting calories. As far as that goes, I must have successfully lost weight on low calorie/low fat at least six or seven times.