Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-16, 17:18

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

ImAllLike - I know you're not diabetic (at least you didn't mention it), but one thing I've found helpful is not eating too much protein. For a diabetic, it's low carb, moderate protein, and high fat. I was devastated (only a slight exaggeration!) when I found out I was going to have to cut down on meat. But that - along with the fasting - has not only brought down my blood sugar but started up my weight loss again.

And it's surprisingly doable. But I have done it by steps, starting with a very imperfect low carb unplanned diet. I don't think I could have gone straight from my self-indulgent, heavy meat eating & lots of diet cola* to what & how I eat now.

*but I still have one on most days. Maybe 5 a week.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-16, 00:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 305/211/160 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
ImAllLike - I know you're not diabetic (at least you didn't mention it), but one thing I've found helpful is not eating too much protein. For a diabetic, it's low carb, moderate protein, and high fat. I was devastated (only a slight exaggeration!) when I found out I was going to have to cut down on meat. But that - along with the fasting - has not only brought down my blood sugar but started up my weight loss again.

And it's surprisingly doable. But I have done it by steps, starting with a very imperfect low carb unplanned diet. I don't think I could have gone straight from my self-indulgent, heavy meat eating & lots of diet cola* to what & how I eat now.

*but I still have one on most days. Maybe 5 a week.

Do you measure your grams of protein fat and carbs? That would be a turn off if I had to do that to stay moderate protein. I also heard its low carb moderate protein and high fat. I'm hoping this weight stall breaks and I start losing again if not then I might have to lower the protein. I eat protein in every meal so i might be eating too much.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-16, 03:28

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Do not judge your progress only with a scale. Here's Why the Scale Can Lie http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...99&page=1&pp=15. And what a typical weight loss pattern is.

And:

Quote:
Don’t Trust the Bathroom Scale With Your Mental Health

We humans are about 2/3 water. Each of us contains about 40 liters (or quarts) of the stuff, and each liter weighs a bit over 2 pounds. Our bodies effectively regulate fluid balance by adjusting urine output and sense of thirst, but this is done within a 2-liter range. Within this range, your body doesn’t really care if it is up to a liter above or below its ideal fluid level.

What this means is that we all live inside a 4-pound-wide grey zone, so that from day to day we fluctuate up or down (i.e., plus or minus) 2 pounds. This happens more or less at random, so with any one weight reading you don’t know where your body is within that fluid range. Your weight can be the same for 3 days in a row, and the next morning you wake up and the scale says you’ve ‘gained’ 3 pounds for no apparent reason.

For people who weigh themselves frequently, this can be maddening. There are two solutions to this problem. One, just don’t weigh yourself. Or two, defeat this variability by calculating average weights. You can weigh yourself every day, and then on one day per week, calculate your average for that week (i.e., the average or mean of 7 values). If you are really into math, you can weigh yourself every day and then each day calculate a new mean over the last 7 days. Each day you do this, you drop the oldest value and add the newest one to the calculation. And of course, for [free] there’s an iPhone ‘App’ that will do this for you

Phinney, Stephen; Volek, Jeff (2011-07-08). The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable (pp. 241-242). Beyond Obesity LLC. Kindle Edition.

I agree with your plan to stay at induction levels until goal (20g total carbs) you do not need to calculate grams of protein if you follow one of the simple LC plans and be sensible about portions. A palm sized amount of protein at 3 meals is a guideline, adjusting for fact that a taller man would have a larger Palm, or about 120 g of protein.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jul-23-16 at 03:38.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-16, 07:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImAllLike
Do you measure your grams of protein fat and carbs? That would be a turn off if I had to do that to stay moderate protein. I also heard its low carb moderate protein and high fat. I'm hoping this weight stall breaks and I start losing again if not then I might have to lower the protein. I eat protein in every meal so i might be eating too much.

I've kept a food diary for over 3 years now, at first tracking only carbs. I just recently added tracking protein. I don't track fat or calories - that would be too many numbers & I'm somewhat math-phobic.

It isn't difficult to track carbs & protein once it becomes a habit. I'll admit I've become somewhat obsessive about it, but I figure that's better than my earlier obsessive eating. I'm old-school - I use a steno notebook. Technology seems to make tracking easier.

Being diabetic, I'll take the hassle of tracking my food & bg over the health problems of diabetes complications.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-16, 23:57
Registered Member

BF:

Well I am still in a stall even though I didn't "Cheat" once. By that I mean eat anything not on the acceptable list of foods. So I think I need to make an adjustment. Personally I think I drink too much diet pop and I think I eat too much cheese. So I'm going to just restart and reset and act like i'm starting this diet again.

What food can I eat as much as I want? And what food can I only eat in moderation? I need it as simple as possible. I plan on limiting my intake of diet soda and cheese to no more than 3 servings a day. I also use salt and black pepper as much as I want is that okay? How about chili powder and taco bell sauce which says 0 carbs?

I think i'm doing something wrong because i'm not losing weight and was 266 about 2 weeks ago now i'm 270. If you told me I would lose 13 pounds in the first month of atkins I would be glad. However I just need to be sure i'm not doing something incorrect thats going to prevent long term gains.

Is aspartme okay? I bought a big box of it and i can't find it on any acceptable list so might have to get rid of it.

So what I think I will do is go back to a more basic induction diet of meat and veggies with water. That will be my base. And I will only drink diet soda or cheese in moderation. Hopefully these tweaks help. I will also stop using sour cream and taco bell sauce and 1 carb ketchup. Basically go back to no condiments.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-16, 04:26

Yes, you did lose 13 pounds in a month, and a "stall" is more like 6 weeks with no loss of weight or inches. But agree you should go back to the basic meat and veg induction plan, and reduce the snack foods...pork rinds, diet sodas, lunch meats, etc. Cheese is limited to only 3- 4 oz and cream only 2-3T.
There is a good summary in the sticky above, some foods have limits and there are cautions about using AS.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482
Another simple induction plan based on what was used in the Atkins clinic is posted on the DietDoctor Two week challenge, http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Aug-10-16 at 04:33.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-16, 06:39

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
What food can I eat as much as I want?

Ice chips.

Seriously. Dr. Bernstein, diabetes doctor, wrote about a woman who ate whole heads of lettuce, figuring the low carb and calorie content made it "safe." But apparently that much bulk also signals the body to release insulin.

There's your problem.

We are not spreadsheets. You don't plug in a certain level of carbs and then get out a certain amount of weight loss. Too much snacking between meals, regardless of what food it is, triggers insulin release. That's the fat storing hormone.

Just moving one's snacks to the nearest meal can trigger a new round of weight loss.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-16, 07:07

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
What food can I eat as much as I want? And what food can I only eat in moderation? I need it as simple as possible.
For a simple list of what you can eat, check out:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=105855
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-16, 08:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Ice chips.

Seriously. Dr. Bernstein, diabetes doctor, wrote about a woman who ate whole heads of lettuce, figuring the low carb and calorie content made it "safe." But apparently that much bulk also signals the body to release insulin.

That's one of the sad facts of life - there are no "free" foods. I really wish there were, but as Dr. B pointed out, even eating sawdust (I think that was his example) will increase insulin & bg.

As for artificial sweeteners, that's really an individual thing. I've found I do OK with 1 diet soda, but more can restart my old binge behavior. Food with artificial sweeteners is pretty much out for me, but that may be because I don't care for stevia & Splenda has maltodextrin. My diet soda has aspartame, which I like. Where did you buy your aspartame?
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-16, 09:50
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
That's one of the sad facts of life - there are no "free" foods. I really wish there were, but as Dr. B pointed out, even eating sawdust (I think that was his example) will increase insulin & bg.

As for artificial sweeteners, that's really an individual thing. I've found I do OK with 1 diet soda, but more can restart my old binge behavior. Food with artificial sweeteners is pretty much out for me, but that may be because I don't care for stevia & Splenda has maltodextrin. My diet soda has aspartame, which I like. Where did you buy your aspartame?

Kroger and its the kroger version.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-16, 10:23

BF:

Quote:
Kroger and its the kroger version.

Thanks! I'll look for it next time I'm at that store.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-16, 16:38

Stats: 310/295/240 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress:

I've been on and off Atkins. First time it worked really well and I lost more than 2 stones, but it doesn't work that fast for me anymore. I also noticed that when you are on Atkins, you lose weight in some sort of step function: plateau than sudden drop and so on. What helped me to boost weight loss and leaving plateau is a bit of exercise and smaller meals in the evening, even if for a day just to push the body into calorie burning mode.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-16, 19:29
Registered Member

BF:

The dreaded scale showed 273 today:/ was down to 265 a few weeks ago. I did eat some coconut flour pancakes and keto cheesecake which have about 3-4 net carbs a serving. So i'm not completely innocent but i didn't eat anything past phase 2. I think I might have to be on induction for life because it doesn't seem normal to gain 8 pounds from a slight increase in carb intake like this.

I know I have been under 50 carbs every day since I started july 5th. I read some guy needed to be at 17 carbs a day or less or else he gained weight so maybe i'm on of those guys:/

I'm just confused and dejected now not sure what to eat anymore. If I just eat meat and veggies with a little butter(been using margarine since cheaper not sure if that causes weight gain) will I lose the weight again? Gaining 8 pounds the past 2 weeks is such a huge blow to me. I didn't cheat once everything I ate was keto.

I guess once i started eating processed meat even tho it showed 1 carb on it i started gaining weight. None of this is making sense though. Sigh.... Back to steak and broccoli and water no diet pop.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-16, 20:34

BF:

Quote:
I read some guy needed to be at 17 carbs a day or less or else he gained weight so maybe i'm on of those guys:/

Not just one guy. I have to be under 20g carbs to maintain, and under 10g to lose weight. Even then it's super slow most of the time. But I'm not exactly young - age makes it more difficult.

It's not impossible, it just takes some getting used to. My main focus is my blood sugar, so I also keep my protein down to under 50g (that's 50g of protein, not 50g of meat).
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Aug-16-16, 02:45

Saying it again, "Don’t Trust the Bathroom Scale With Your Mental Health"
1. Is your scale reliable? Maybe instead stop by a doctor's office and only take a reading once a month.
2. How do you feel? More energy? Able to walk more?
3. Do you take any medications? Even NSAIDs (Aleve, Advil, etc) can cause metabolic resistance and block weight loss. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=453311 Any other Blood pressure, blood sugar, etc meds?
4. "Everything I ate was Keto" what does that mean? Foods are not "Keto" and you can easily overeat foods allowed on a Ketogenic diet. Ketosis is not magic, please read more about it in this 3 part article. "YOU CAN BE IN KETOSIS AND NOT LOSE BODY FAT, AND YOU CAN LOSE BODY FAT WITHOUT BEING IN KETOSIS."http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2016/01/dont-be-a-ketard1.html
5. Many people cannot lose weight eating more than 20g carbs, and that is why a successful diet proven for weight loss through LT clinical trials IS set at 20g Carbs. It is what Dr Atkins used in his clinic in in 1999, and has been proven successful with thousands of people since at Duke. http://www.kostdoktorn.se/wp-conten...starch_diet.pdf

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Aug-16-16 at 03:37.