Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-16, 22:20
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%
Lightbulb Whether or not a diet works may be in your genes

Quote:
The take-home message for people is that the data indicates that if a diet works well for you, it may not have the same effect on a friend
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/whether...-in-your-genes/

What many here have been saying all along. Not convinced this study proves this unequivocally though.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-16, 22:42

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I'm just trying to visualize all of those mice drunk on red wine
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-16, 08:00

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Thanks for posting this, wrong-headed and superficial report that it is.

For the record, I was just reading in Dr. Fung's Obesity Code that, as a matter of integrity, he rejects mouse experiments attempting to prove stuff about people.

And any article that serves up the old CI/CO mantra lacks credibility.

All that said, I agree completely that different diets can work very well for different people. This article cites the indigenous diets (and by that I mean everyday dietary patterns) in other countries that work well for them.

When it comes to weight reduction diets, there again, different diets work well for different people. Many of us here have had success (over and over and over??--if that could be called success!) on many different diets. If the so-called Western diet (not a reducing diet, but an everyday pattern) had not devolved to Doritos and Diet Coke, then it might still be as healthy as it was up until, say, the 1950s when we all got excited about not eating fat and started eating massive amounts of sugar instead.

Oh--my soapbox is rising higher and higher!

So, as always, there's confusion of terms and confounded results.

IMHO, you could describe any healthy diet something like this:
--fresh foods only (preferably produced in a healthful manner), nothing processed or manufactured or (simply put) with an Ingredients list
--eat when hungry, eat only when hungry
--eliminate added sugars, caloric beverages

Within that framework, you can eat to suit yourself, and help your body find its way to its natural weight (which might not match some social prejudice) and better health.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-16, 08:19

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots

--fresh foods only (preferably produced in a healthful manner), nothing processed or manufactured or (simply put) with an Ingredients list

Within that framework, you can eat to suit yourself, and help your body find its way to its natural weight (which might not match some social prejudice) and better health.

My eating plan starts with single ingredient real foods with no sugar added, no need to read any labels or wonder about any strange ingredients. If everyone just started from there much greater health would prevail.

Jean
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-16, 12:25

BF:

It occurred to me while I was enjoying random thoughts in the car this morning that scientists should do a dietary experiment by feeding a control group of humans standard mouse chow. Whaddaya bet they'd lose weight like crazy??
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-16, 16:45

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
It occurred to me while I was enjoying random thoughts in the car this morning that scientists should do a dietary experiment by feeding a control group of humans standard mouse chow. Whaddaya bet they'd lose weight like crazy??
I suspect they would gain weight if it is palatable - labdiet.com shows a standard rat diet is 56.7% carbs, 29.8% protein and 13.8% fat (ether extract, whatever that is) - possibly worse than the SAD for humans.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-16, 03:30

BF:

I might have known to expect a straight answer from a conscientious forum member! I wouldn't expect mouse chow to be appetizing for humans--thus a revolt among subjects. Interesting to know the nutrient breakdown however, in case I'm ever in a diet trap. Thanks!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-16, 18:01

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
I might have known to expect a straight answer from a conscientious forum member! I wouldn't expect mouse chow to be appetizing for humans--thus a revolt among subjects. Interesting to know the nutrient breakdown however, in case I'm ever in a diet trap. Thanks!

Here is one mouse diet food.

http://www.labdiet.com/cs/groups/lo...cm04_028439.pdf
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-16, 09:07

Plan: LCHF/IF
Stats: 268.8/242.4/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Thanks for posting this, wrong-headed and superficial report that it is.

For the record, I was just reading in Dr. Fung's Obesity Code that, as a matter of integrity, he rejects mouse experiments attempting to prove stuff about people.

And any article that serves up the old CI/CO mantra lacks credibility.

All that said, I agree completely that different diets can work very well for different people. This article cites the indigenous diets (and by that I mean everyday dietary patterns) in other countries that work well for them.

When it comes to weight reduction diets, there again, different diets work well for different people. Many of us here have had success (over and over and over??--if that could be called success!) on many different diets. If the so-called Western diet (not a reducing diet, but an everyday pattern) had not devolved to Doritos and Diet Coke, then it might still be as healthy as it was up until, say, the 1950s when we all got excited about not eating fat and started eating massive amounts of sugar instead.

Oh--my soapbox is rising higher and higher!

So, as always, there's confusion of terms and confounded results.

Where's the "like" button?