Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Mon, May-15-17, 13:10
Registered Member

Plan: CAD-CALP
Stats: 226/176/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

Hi all, I was so happy to stumble on a 70 and up thread. I passed 70 11 years ago and I feel--and look better at 81 than I did at 61 when I weighed 230 pounds. I'm about ten pounds over my lowest weight, but I keep climbing back on the wagon. Climbing back on the wagon and walking my Yorkie is about the only exercise I get. I really thought that by the time I was 80 food would not be such a temptation, but I really enjoy my meals and a glass or two of wine. When the scale is too disappointing, I look at the positive side and just thank God that I can eat almost anything that won't eat me first and enjoy it.

I was so pleased to see Jey posting here. She is my heroine, her posts are always so informative and helpful.

Pat
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Mon, May-15-17, 13:26
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Well, Pat, you are welcome here and may even be our senior member.

Wonderful that you're so healthy. That is our goal, I think, by the time we've reached "crone" state. Or become wise. Whatever.
  #63   ^
Old Mon, May-15-17, 13:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Tricia, you're lucky to have your Yorkie to walk with. My dog passed away last December, and I miss him so much. He was the only one who could coax me outside for a walk. I sat in my chair for months till I realized I had to force myself off the recliner and just go out walking for a bit every day. I pretend he's with me, which makes it easier.
  #64   ^
Old Mon, May-15-17, 14:09
Doing My Best

My sweet friend Frodo (min poodle) has been my inspiration for 3 years now for walking before dawn every single morning. I can't say how many times I'd have made myself do it alone.
  #65   ^
Old Fri, May-26-17, 14:38

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Hi all and a thank you to Tricia.
I have an age related problem and am looking for treatment suggestions not already considered, and this current problem involves a dog.

I have been having more of those dark purple bruise areas under the thin skin on my forearms. It is genetic (Mom had same), and thinning skin from sun damage (my own fault). I usual get them banging around the garden, but yesterday a Goldendoodle "Puppy" (but 42 pounds and full size!) leapt up at me in excitement and then dragged her claws down my arm. No skin broken but I literally watched those claw lines blossom into bruises each 1 1/2 inches wide, so basically much of forearm is covered in black/purple. Gross, it will scare off little children.

Does anyone have a secret to treating them besides icing it, wrapping it, arnica, witch hazel, and some of these: http://www.besthealthmag.ca/best-yo...ises-naturally/. Maybe I just need to whinge to someone! Cute though a doodle puppy is, it should have been trained by now or restrained for a visitor. It seems just as one bruise fades I get another. I only occasionally take an aspirin and doubt it is a nutritional deficiency (but maybe?). 30 hours later, it is so large and ugly it is maddening. Any tricks?

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, May-27-17 at 02:37.
  #66   ^
Old Fri, May-26-17, 15:02
Doing My Best

I have no secret remedy for those bruises. I remember my mother getting them. The least bit of pressure causes it on me, and most often it is from playing with the dog.

I also get cuts on my fingers, just from opening products with thick, sharp plastic. Thin skinned. Ha! The good news is that I'm a fast healer.

Just thought I'd let you know that you're not alone.
  #67   ^
Old Sat, May-27-17, 02:53

Thanks for understanding Glenda. Still whining here this morning, this one is so large it will take the summer to fade, and it happened just when the neighborhood pool opens. The Ace bandage may be pushing some of the blood back into circulation...seems a teeny bit less black.
Wonder if there is there a water-proof material to compress it while swimming? Already decided I will have to wear a long sleeved shirt...it is that scary ugly.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, May-27-17 at 02:59.
  #68   ^
Old Sat, May-27-17, 22:03

Plan: My plan, my way
Stats: 233.8/170.0/179 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 116%

I wear long sleeves most of the time.
It is because of that reason.
I bruise very easily and have for at least 50 years.
Maybe before that, just remember the last 50.
N2L
  #69   ^
Old Sun, May-28-17, 04:06

N2L...and you never found anything to help healing? The black parts are so scary, DH tried to tell me it looked lighter yesterday, maybe only a different shade of deep purple? I was alternating the hot and cold compresses, ace bandage at times, useless arnica I've tried previously for smaller red bruises, nothing works.

I am in a pool every single day in the summmer for water aerobics or swimming, but at least wearing long sleeved shirts for sun protection looks somewhat "normal" now. Costco has rash guards I can use. Note 66 years of sun and swimming...how my skin got so thin and sun damaged in the first place
  #70   ^
Old Sun, May-28-17, 05:16

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I take K2 with my D3, it's supposed to help all kinds of clotting factors?
  #71   ^
Old Sun, May-28-17, 09:32

I'm not sure I want this to Clot! I wondered yesterday if the areas of black are big clots that could break off and go somewhere critical? Of course it would be a holiday weekend or would call my GP. I'm whinging again but for something with no broken skin and no pain, that darn "puppy" did some damage. Appreciating my own cat much more since this happened.
  #72   ^
Old Sun, May-28-17, 09:46
Doing My Best

Janet, most of my research says something like, "It happens. Just wait for the body to reabsorb the blood." You can bet if it happened to men, it would be fixed right away.

One thing I found attributes easy bruising to taking blood thinners. I take baby aspirin myself, and if it means I might get a few extra bruises, that's okay with me.
  #73   ^
Old Sun, May-28-17, 15:08

Thank Glenda, Dr Google agrees, maybe even about the men thing. It led me to The Survival Doctor and only in rare cases could it end up with a blood clot. http://thesurvivaldoctor.com/2012/0...nd-blood-clots/

Wander around that website if you believe in "prepping" or need basic hurricane info (or holiday dog love attacks):
"The roads are underwater. All lines are down.Cellphones aren’t working.No medical expertise is available.
What do you do?"

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, May-28-17 at 15:55.
  #74   ^
Old Sat, Jun-10-17, 22:36

Plan: My plan, my way
Stats: 233.8/170.0/179 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Janet, how is the arm?

Today was a beautiful day once again.
Tomorrow (Sunday) is suppose to be hot.
Then comes the rain.
Been eating to much.
I decided to eat twice a day.
Well, I'm eating twice as much.
Thought eating twice would give me more energy.
And it is, also giving me a santa belly that like Santa's belly, this jiggles like jelly LIKE A BOWL FULL OF JELLY.
Most of the time my belly is hard as a rock.
Will have to give this more thought.
N2L
  #75   ^
Old Sun, Jun-11-17, 04:07

Hi N2L,
Thank for asking. At two weeks and 4 days, the dark red clots are gone, replaced by one big bruise...but lighter in color. I had never wrapped a bruise before, but this was so ugly, and wrapping seems to have sped up healing. The first two days the marks were distinct tracks from the claws, with unmarked skin between them. By Keeping the arm wrapped in an Ace bandage the bruises spread out and merged into one bigger bruise but it became lighter in color. The black became dark red, then light red, and now it is just red on the borders of the area. I did use the Arnica gel (but have used that before without much effect) would let it dry, then keep the arm wrapped most of the day. Will be helping DD pack and move next few days...going to keep it wrapped, be careful not to bang anything else, and be back in the pool later this week.

If you tried two meals a day and it didn't work for you, return to what does. Eating more for the day is not desired outcome, IF doesn't work for everyone.
Enjoy the beautiful days ahead.